PDA

View Full Version : Zubrus

OpIv37
06-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Can someone please explain this to me? Look, it's unlikely that we're going to keep both Drury and Briere so there should be cap space available.

It was clear, as many hockey analysts and people here have pointed out, that the high-octane Sabres were built for speed and not grind-it-out playoff series.

The one exception was Zubrus. He was out there knocking heads on every shift. The guy demonstrated the kind of grit that this team needs to get through a tough playoff series.

Yet, I believe Reiger called him a "rent a player" (or at least said something to that effect even if he didn't use that exact term).

I just can't understand why they wouldn't want to re-sign this guy. If it's purely a money issue, there has to be a way to work it out.

User Manuel
06-26-2007, 10:24 AM
The only negative thing I have heard about Zubrus is that he had knee Surgery after the playoffs and the problem was termed "chronic."

Maybe that is it?

Michael82
06-26-2007, 10:34 AM
If we lose both Drury and Briere....we better re-sign Zubie. He will help make some of the fans feel better about those big losses.

Philagape
06-26-2007, 11:09 AM
If we lose both Drury and Briere....we better re-sign Zubie. He will help make some of the fans feel better about those big losses.

I won't feel better at all.

That's like the Bills losing Peters and Evans but re-signing Dockery. Big whoop.

SabreEleven
06-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Zubie also is known to "float" during the regular season. I bet he won't play the same way during 82 games.

OpIv37
06-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Zubie also is known to "float" during the regular season. I bet he won't play the same way during 82 games.

maybe so but he showed up when it counted the most. Thats more than we can say for a lot of guys on our roster.

CuseJetsFan83
06-26-2007, 03:18 PM
zubrus has stated many times he wants to be here....... and if buffalo lets him go, it will truly be their loss...... especially if briere, drury and vanek walk out the door

Michael82
06-26-2007, 03:52 PM
zubrus has stated many times he wants to be here....... and if buffalo lets him go, it will truly be their loss...... especially if briere, drury and vanek walk out the door
:bf1:

CuseJetsFan83
06-26-2007, 04:02 PM
well the quote i got in my sig was reported i think on alot of hockey sites as they were clearing out........ he honestly wants to be here..... and that whole can he play a full season at a full intensity......come on now, if he did that he'd be drained by the playoffs..... and a nagging knee injury? well thats hockey, if he gets hurt during hte year, oh well.... i like zubrus alot........ if the sabres can stick by connolly then i dont see why they cant with dainius

Dr. Lecter
06-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Where is all of this Vanek leaving talk coming from????

CuseJetsFan83
06-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Where is all of this Vanek leaving talk coming from????

just the fact that his qualifying offer is rather low as compared to say other players, i dont know if the sabres would be willing to match a high offer from a desperate team....

granted i see thomas staying as well, eh, must be prepared for anything i guess

Michael82
06-27-2007, 12:52 AM
just the fact that his qualifying offer is rather low as compared to say other players, i dont know if the sabres would be willing to match a high offer from a desperate team....

Exactly! Plus the RFA rules have been changed. You don't have to give up a king's ransom for a RFA anymore. All it takes to get a guy like Vanek is a really high contract and a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft pick.

User Manuel
06-27-2007, 05:53 AM

The qualifying offer for Vanek only had to be 5% above the salary from last year. It was nothing more than a standard step to ensure the Sabres retained his rights as a restricted free agent. If they failed to make that offer he automatically becomes unrestricted.

The qualifying offer is simply a procedural step.

User Manuel
06-27-2007, 06:02 AM
Exactly! Plus the RFA rules have been changed. You don't have to give up a king's ransom for a RFA anymore. All it takes to get a guy like Vanek is a really high contract and a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft pick.

Here is the RFA scale:
Contact $$ Compensation
$1.1- $2.3 2nd Round Pick
$2.3- $3.5 1st and 3rd
$3.5- $4.7 1st, 2nd and 3rd
$4.7- $5.8 3 First Round Picks
$5.8-??? 4 First Round Picks

For the Sabres to even think about not matching it would have to be over the $5m mark and that is 3 #1s. That is till pretty stiff.

I'd put the odds at 95% that Vanek is here next year for a lot less than you would think.

YardRat
06-27-2007, 06:13 AM
We need to keep Zubrus, and bring in a couple more guys just like him. Let 'em all take half the regular season off for all I care, as long as they show up for the playoffs when the games really mean something.

DraftBoy
06-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Vaenk is going to get some offers from other teams, and there is talk that PHI plans a big bid. However I dont think anybody is going to bid so much that BUF wont match. In fact yesterday was the 1st day to talk to other teams RFA's and Vanek's agent said that he has a very busy day on the phone yesterday talking with multiple teams.

Typ0
06-27-2007, 09:09 PM
this is vaneks opportunity to play the market and get a better contract. That's the way the system is built. We'll be the ones giving him that contract. He's a kid who really stepped up to the plate last season. He took care of weaknesses in both his physical and mental play. He's worth the $$ to keep in the system.

OpIv37
06-27-2007, 09:19 PM
this is vaneks opportunity to play the market and get a better contract. That's the way the system is built. We'll be the ones giving him that contract. He's a kid who really stepped up to the plate last season. He took care of weaknesses in both his physical and mental play. He's worth the $$ to keep in the system.

agreed. Watching Vanek in November and December, I was frequently left wondering WTF he was thinking. By the end of the season that was gone- you could literally watch him get better every game. And he's still on the way up. Pay the man.