• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Zubrus

Can someone please explain this to me? Look, it's unlikely that we're going to keep both Drury and Briere so there should be cap space available.

It was clear, as many hockey analysts and people here have pointed out, that the high-octane Sabres were built for speed and not grind-it-out playoff series.

The one exception was Zubrus. He was out there knocking heads on every shift. The guy demonstrated the kind of grit that this team needs to get through a tough playoff series.

Yet, I believe Reiger called him a "rent a player" (or at least said something to that effect even if he didn't use that exact term).

I just can't understand why they wouldn't want to re-sign this guy. If it's purely a money issue, there has to be a way to work it out.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • User Manuel
    The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
    • Nov 2003

Re: Zubrus

The only negative thing I have heard about Zubrus is that he had knee Surgery after the playoffs and the problem was termed "chronic."

Maybe that is it?

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

If we lose both Drury and Briere....we better re-sign Zubie. He will help make some of the fans feel better about those big losses.

Comment

• Philagape
        WIN NOW
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
        If we lose both Drury and Briere....we better re-sign Zubie. He will help make some of the fans feel better about those big losses.
        I won't feel better at all.

That's like the Bills losing Peters and Evans but re-signing Dockery. Big whoop.
        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• SabreEleven
          • Aug 2002

Zubie also is known to "float" during the regular season. I bet he won't play the same way during 82 games.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by SabreEleven
            Zubie also is known to "float" during the regular season. I bet he won't play the same way during 82 games.
            maybe so but he showed up when it counted the most. Thats more than we can say for a lot of guys on our roster.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
              Closet Bills Fan
              • Nov 2004

zubrus has stated many times he wants to be here....... and if buffalo lets him go, it will truly be their loss...... especially if briere, drury and vanek walk out the door

j-e-t-s
              jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by CuseJetsFan83
                zubrus has stated many times he wants to be here....... and if buffalo lets him go, it will truly be their loss...... especially if briere, drury and vanek walk out the door

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
                  Closet Bills Fan
                  • Nov 2004

well the quote i got in my sig was reported i think on alot of hockey sites as they were clearing out........ he honestly wants to be here..... and that whole can he play a full season at a full intensity......come on now, if he did that he'd be drained by the playoffs..... and a nagging knee injury? well thats hockey, if he gets hurt during hte year, oh well.... i like zubrus alot........ if the sabres can stick by connolly then i dont see why they cant with dainius

j-e-t-s

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

Where is all of this Vanek leaving talk coming from????
                    Originally posted by mysticsoto
                    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
                      Closet Bills Fan
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      Where is all of this Vanek leaving talk coming from????
                      just the fact that his qualifying offer is rather low as compared to say other players, i dont know if the sabres would be willing to match a high offer from a desperate team....

granted i see thomas staying as well, eh, must be prepared for anything i guess

j-e-t-s

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

just the fact that his qualifying offer is rather low as compared to say other players, i dont know if the sabres would be willing to match a high offer from a desperate team....

Exactly! Plus the RFA rules have been changed. You don't have to give up a king's ransom for a RFA anymore. All it takes to get a guy like Vanek is a really high contract and a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft pick.

Comment

• User Manuel
                          • Nov 2003

The qualifying offer for Vanek only had to be 5% above the salary from last year. It was nothing more than a standard step to ensure the Sabres retained his rights as a restricted free agent. If they failed to make that offer he automatically becomes unrestricted.

The qualifying offer is simply a procedural step.

Comment

• User Manuel
                            • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Mikey82
                            Exactly! Plus the RFA rules have been changed. You don't have to give up a king's ransom for a RFA anymore. All it takes to get a guy like Vanek is a really high contract and a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft pick.
                            Here is the RFA scale:
                            Contact $$ Compensation
                            $1.1- $2.3 2nd Round Pick
                            $2.3- $3.5 1st and 3rd
                            $3.5- $4.7 1st, 2nd and 3rd
                            $4.7- $5.8 3 First Round Picks
                            $5.8-??? 4 First Round Picks

For the Sabres to even think about not matching it would have to be over the $5m mark and that is 3 #1s. That is till pretty stiff.

I'd put the odds at 95% that Vanek is here next year for a lot less than you would think.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

We need to keep Zubrus, and bring in a couple more guys just like him. Let 'em all take half the regular season off for all I care, as long as they show up for the playoffs when the games really mean something.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X