PDA

View Full Version : Overall Thoughts

Sennsai
08-20-2002, 09:00 PM
:shelby:

My thoughts on the team.. here it goes.
I think we should run 3 WR sets with Henry as the lone back. Our WR's with Moulds, Price and Reed are as good as you will find in the NFL for 1-3. USE THAT TO OUR ADVANTAGE. With those three lined up, this also gives Henry to break more big runs as the defense will play to cover the 3 wideouts. The wideouts give Drew more variables in the passing game. I really like the idea.

Offensive Line. I believe is the most underrated position on the team. Without it you can't run(unless you are Walter Payton) and pass successfully. There is a major difference between run blocking and pass blocking, we all know that. Let's hope our big boys have developed those skills. I think they have and will do OKAY for pass protection, but not be as fluid opening running lanes.

Defensive Line... We are weak, but with the signings, it will see how much the team has improved. I won't comment until I see it in the next game(s). Our lack of talent here is why the secondary is high in number of tackles.

Linebackers... While I think we are solid here, we can be better. If they are as good as everyone thinks they are, then they should make up for the difference of the weak DL. They haven't done that in the first 2 games(mind you they are PRE-SEASON games and I know they are played differently). I am not sold on the LB corp to be honest. I think there is room for improvement. See below.

Secondary... The strength of the defense in my opinion. The corners are top notch, nothing else needs said. Safety should be ok for the most part. The intriguing player is Wire. For now I say to play Jenkins at SS due to his experience, but Wire will be on the field for certain defensive packages(or I hope he will be). Here is a thought that I think needs to be considered. Wire was a LB in college and did a very good job of it. Everyone says he is everywhere on the field. He's 210lbs and I DO think he is big enough to play LB in the NFL. There are a couple other guys out there about the same size playing LB. I just saw a guy for the Broncos(name slips my mind now) on Monday night that was 215 and playing. Couple other guys.. Z. Thomas.. Ngyuen. Etc... They might be 220-225.. etc.. but everyone knows Wire is VERY STRONG. I don't know... if you ask me, I think he can play LB in the NFL. The RB's are no bigger in the NFL than they are in college, so he can tackle ok. TE's basically the same. The OL is usually the difference there. Get the best guys on the field is the motto. Just some food for thought.

Also.... Wire lead the team in running as a freshman in college, or so the bio said on him I read before. Any thoughts of moving him to Running Back in the coming years???? Just spitballing here.

No, I'm not on a band wagon here or anything. I just had some ideas about Wire and his past and thought I would throw some thoughts out there, since they made me think.

shelby
08-20-2002, 09:06 PM
i was VERY impressed with Wire...i think he could play any position he was asked to. He should be a starter IMHO.
Nice analysis...i am concerned about the D but Clements and Winfield are impressive. i hope our O line will be okay. i think Drew is going to do a great job leading the O this year.
:up:

casdhf
08-20-2002, 09:08 PM
We need to run a variety of offensive sets. We have Moulds, Price, Reed, Riemersma, Henry and Centers for weapons. Seeing how only 5 can be on the field at once....we should have plenty of combinations. That doesn't even include Moore, Johnson, Bryson or any other capable playmakers

HenryRules
08-20-2002, 09:14 PM
Good thoughts. A few comments.

I agree our 3-wide sets would be deadly. However, I also think our 2 TE sets and our 2 back sets with Centers will be deadly (apparently Gilbride is using Centers downfield instead of in the flats and he's been great at it). I think with our versatility we can really go by what the defenses weakness is (not many corners - go 3 wide, bad safeties - go 2 TE or 2 backs). I think getting Moore, Reed, and Centers mixed in enough is going to be the biggest challenge facing Gilbride this year.
OL - agree. Biggest problem facing us here is a lack of cohesiveness. No one that will start on the left side has ever before played in a game with anyone they'll be lining up next to (i.e. JJ hasn't played with RB, RB not with JJ or TT).
DL - completely agree.
LB's - I like them but am concerned about their depth. Agree they've played horrible so far and would love to know why that is, but I have faith they'll be better.
DB's - interesting thoughts on Wire. Having never seen him play, I can't comment on how good he could be at LB, but from what I hear, I think he could be a pro bowl SS in this system but I don't think he has that potential at LB. That's why I stay let him stick with and learn SS this year so he can dominate there for the next 10 years.

SABURZFAN
08-20-2002, 09:31 PM
is we're going to be a lot better than last year's 3-13 record.