PDA

View Full Version : V-Coach just announced via text...

SquishDaFish
06-26-2007, 02:37 PM
OBD had a visitor in Don Darius today. Sorry if posted already

patmoran2006
06-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Nice...............

Whether he starts, backs up, or we move a safety to corner.. whatever.

We have MORE than enough cap room and having a vet with good experience would be nice for the defense.

DraftBoy
06-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Good to hear

venis2k1
06-26-2007, 02:50 PM
anyone else really like our safteys the way they are, i mean that move seems dumb to me. obviously simpson and whitner are starting, as for depth, wendling makes it on his youth alone. so that would make Jim Leonhard and George Wilson the odd men out? I think both have big upside, and would like to see them have a legit chance to compete for the roster spot in camp. I recognize that a defensive leader is needed on this team, but how much leading can you do from the bench. Also does Darius have any experience in the cover 2?

Saratoga Slim
06-26-2007, 02:52 PM
It would be really interesting if Whitner got moved to CB, with Darius playing SS until Wendling can take over perhaps? Who knows what they're thinking exactly, but with Whitner, Wendling, Ko, and Darius, we'd have a pretty deep Safety corps, which might give us some interesting possibilities.

I've always like Darius, he was a hellion for the Orange.

patmoran2006
06-26-2007, 02:53 PM
dont care who plays where.. I dont care if Darius plays SS, FS or backs up both spots..

We have the extra CAP ROOM so why NOT sign a solid veteran to the team, if for no other reason than to compete and push someone.

RockStar36
06-26-2007, 02:59 PM
I like Whitner and Simpson so I'm not sure what the point of this is. I can't imagine him wanting to come here just to be a veteran backup.

Gunzlingr
06-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Can he play DT?

SquishDaFish
06-26-2007, 03:02 PM
More talent is always a great thing. Bring him in and if he plays better then one of the youngsters then let them learn from him. Cant help there development.

Saratoga Slim
06-26-2007, 03:07 PM
dont care who plays where.. I dont care if Darius plays SS, FS or backs up both spots..

We have the extra CAP ROOM so why NOT sign a solid veteran to the team, if for no other reason than to compete and push someone.

Yeah, even if he's a backup safety...he gives us an experienced backup safety. If we assume Simpson and Whitner remain our starters, our backups are Wendling (rookie), George Wilson (a newly converted receiver) and Jim Leonhard (Jim Leonhard). While I am very pumped about Wendling, and Wilson and Leonhard may possibly have some upside as well, we'll be well served by having an accomplished vet in there for insurance. Our secondary is YOUNG, some experience can't hurt.

Saratoga Slim
06-26-2007, 03:09 PM
I like Whitner and Simpson so I'm not sure what the point of this is. I can't imagine him wanting to come here just to be a veteran backup.

I like Whitner and Simpson too. I don't think Whitner's job is in danger, and simpson's probably shouldn't be either.....but if Simpson with his youth and long-term upside can't beat out Darius.....well, my like for Simpson isn't due to a desire to see him personally succeed, its to see the FS position manned well. If we've got a better option so be it.

I'm real curious what they have in mind for him.

Slim
06-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Can he play DT?

We could have Kevin Williams throw him over the los.

Mudflap1
06-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Pat, time to head down there in your car with a sign...

Jon

patmoran2006
06-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Heh.

Im serious though.. I dont care where he plays and if he starts or not.

if we dont use that cap room its going to do us no good.. WHY NOT sign a quality vet or two.

Isnt Jauron always the one preaching about "competition"? well if thats the case, why should Simpson and/or Whitner be HANDED anything? Let them beat out Darius in camp and earn their starting spot.

It was ok for Losman to have to beat out a journeyman QB in camp last year, but its not OK for our safeties to have to beat out an experienced vet at safety?

instead of letting all that cap money rot (which we all know will happen), if he's better than the 4th or 5th safety on the roster and he's WILLING to sign, then you f'n SIGN HIM..

It's a pretty easy decision from the Bills end.

gil
06-26-2007, 03:20 PM
praise jeebus, some actual football-related news.

git'r done Marv.

SquishDaFish
06-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Well its obvious the Bills are interested. I think it gets done.

patmoran2006
06-26-2007, 03:22 PM
As much as I'd LOVE to have him in a Bills uniform.

I dont see why he would sign with us. He's 32 and far from guarenteed a starting spot. and on top of that, I'd think he'd want to play for a solid contender, which we currently are not.

THATHURMANATOR
06-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Nice...............

Whether he starts, backs up, or we move a safety to corner.. whatever.

We have MORE than enough cap room and having a vet with good experience would be nice for the defense.
This makes too much sense.

CuseJetsFan83
06-26-2007, 03:31 PM
honestly i think he will go where he thinks he has the best shot to contend for a starting spot and also where he could play for at least the playoffs.....

buffalo yeah you have whitner and simpson, but dont forget should they get injured, well..... the depth is really not there..... this is one of the positions where that veteran leadership is very crucial.....

honestly i could see him go to any team other than ne, back to jacksonville, and i am quite sure he wont go dallas........ i'd love to see him in any uniform, as he was one of my faves to watch in person at su

jdbillsfan
06-26-2007, 03:55 PM
As much as I'd LOVE to have him in a Bills uniform.

I dont see why he would sign with us. He's 32 and far from guarenteed a starting spot. and on top of that, I'd think he'd want to play for a solid contender, which we currently are not.

I'm guessing he doesn't have a lot of options at this point. He is 32, most contenders probably have decent starting safety's.

I mean he might not even be a good option for Buffalo, so teams may not be beating down his door.

Night Train
06-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Hows his health at 32 ? Could he pass a physical ?

Color me skeptical if the Jags cut him.

Oaklandraider
06-26-2007, 04:01 PM
he'll end up in carolina

The Spaz
06-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Maybe this helps out the Darwin Walke Situation. This may give him some confidence in the team.

The Spaz
06-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Hows his health at 32 ? Could he pass a physical ?

Color me skeptical if the Jags cut him.

He's come off an ACL tear and a broken leg the last 2 years.

justasportsfan
06-26-2007, 04:14 PM
turns out he played for Jauron and Fewell. Chris Brown blog makes sense when he stated he could help in the leadership department.

DynaPaul
06-26-2007, 05:03 PM
He'll be great as a backup, veteran leader, and situational starter if we get a cheap deal. He's not gonna be a full time starter.

Mahdi
06-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Im thinking that they want Darius as a situational LB when they go to a nickel package. He's a great tackler and hes the same size as Ellison actually. Either that or they want to move Whitner to corner and have Darius play as our Bob Sanders to sniff out run plays.

CuseJetsFan83
06-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Im thinking that they want Darius as a situational LB when they go to a nickel package. He's a great tackler and hes the same size as Ellison actually. Either that or they want to move Whitner to corner and have Darius play as our Bob Sanders to sniff out run plays.

and granted people will point out the injuries quickly, but i still think darius can be an effecting rover like that.......

with that being said.. i never even thought of the nickel package at all..... that is an excellent point too

Lexwhat
06-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Are people forgetting that we have to play Tom Brady twice a year? I can't believe some people are satisfied with our secondary when we have a real chance to upgrade.

Last year, Brady didnt even have any WRs. On top of that, we even had Nate Clements. IMO, this move for Darius has a lot to do with the revamped Pats offense, as others have probably stated.

By the way, I remember another hard-hitting 30 yr. old safety that changed teams...Rodney Harrison. When healthy, he has been the backbone of their secondary throughout the last few years. IMO, when we have a chance to sign a player like that on our team, we should do it.

Lexwhat
06-26-2007, 05:19 PM
To be a STARTER.

Lexwhat
06-26-2007, 05:25 PM
I just checked that, I see that Darius is 32, and not 30 like Harrison was.

However, they both played 8 seasons with their old teams before switching to new teams. Harrison is actually 3 years older than Darius, and IMO, Harrison can still play at a high level.

Mudflap1
06-26-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm all for it.

Jon

madness
06-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Darius visit intriguing

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>June 26, 2007
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 3:42 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=1551)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>DARIUS VISIT IS INTRIGUING: The Donovin Darius visit is an interesting one. There's no question he's a talented player and he probably has a few good years left in him. From a character standpoint this guy is top notch. A bona fide leader, which could help guys like Angelo Crowell and Chris Kelsay fill the leadership void.
If it goes so far to where they make a contract offer in the coming weeks and he signs there will certainly be a shake-up in the secondary. Not the first week of training camp mind you, but eventually I would think there's a good chance the odd guy out would be Ko Simpson. Darius would start at strong safety and Donte Whitner would start at free safety. Whitner is certainly athletic enough to handle that spot.
Granted I'm getting way ahead of the game here because it is just a visit, but that's how I think things could potentially shake out, if Darius winds up being here.
--- </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

madness
06-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Bills Host Free Agent Vet Donovin Darius
by Chris Brown, Lead Journalist Last Updated: 6/26/2007 3:28 PM ET

The Bills are still looking to add to their talent pool before the 2007 season begins. Buffalo hosted veteran safety Donovin Darius Tuesday at One Bills Drive. The 10-year veteran has twice been a Pro Bowl alternate and a starter at safety since the Jacksonville Jaguars made him one of the club's two first-round picks in 1998. He led the secondary in tackles his first seven seasons and has recorded six 100 tackle seasons in his career.
No doubt one of the attractive qualities of the Bills for Darius is there are some familiar faces on the Buffalo coaching staff. His rookie season Darius worked under then Jacksonville defensive coordinator Dick Jauron. Bills defensive coordinator Perry Fewell was also Darius' position coach the first five seasons of his career in Jacksonville.
Known as a high-character player with a tremendous work ethic and charisma, Darius was considered the emotional leader of the Jaguars defense. But with up and coming safety Gerald Sensabaugh on the roster and two of Jacksonville's draft picks spent on safeties, including first-round pick Reggie Nelson, Darius became expendable.
Darius, who will turn 32 in August, has had a pair of serious injuries each of the last two seasons. The Jaguars all-time leading tackler played in just two games in 2005 before tearing his ACL forcing him to miss the rest of the season. Last year he started the first 10 games before a broken leg against the Giants (Nov. 20) cost him the final six weeks of the season.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4886

madness
06-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Why would anyone not want to upgrade any position. If he comes in, he's not going to be an automatic starter. He's going to have to earn it just like everyone else on this team.

His leadership and experience alone are worth bringing here. He's a high character guy that can help push our safeties to that next level. Yes, it stinks that one of our young guys may be the odd man out but if Darius is starter material, I'm not going to fret over it.

djjimkelly
06-27-2007, 08:11 AM
anyone else really like our safteys the way they are, i mean that move seems dumb to me. obviously simpson and whitner are starting, as for depth, wendling makes it on his youth alone. so that would make Jim Leonhard and George Wilson the odd men out? I think both have big upside, and would like to see them have a legit chance to compete for the roster spot in camp. I recognize that a defensive leader is needed on this team, but how much leading can you do from the bench. Also does Darius have any experience in the cover 2?

the jags play the cover 2