PDA

View Full Version : Quick Points about Don Darius And Darwin Walker

patmoran2006
06-26-2007, 06:14 PM
First, from Homer Brown's blog today about Darius
DARIUS VISIT IS INTRIGUING: The Donovin Darius visit is an interesting one. There's no question he's a talented player and he probably has a few good years left in him. From a character standpoint this guy is top notch. A bona fide leader, which could help guys like Angelo Crowell and Chris Kelsay fill the leadership void.
If it goes so far to where they make a contract offer in the coming weeks and he signs there will certainly be a shake-up in the secondary. Not the first week of training camp mind you, but eventually I would think there's a good chance the odd guy out would be Ko Simpson. Darius would start at strong safety and Donte Whitner would start at free safety. Whitner is certainly athletic enough to handle that spot.
Granted I'm getting way ahead of the game here because it is just a visit, but that's how I think things could potentially shake out, if Darius winds up being here.

My take: I absolutey, 100% agree. Even if he didnt overtake Simpson for the starting spot for a year or two, at any capacity he'd be an upgrade somewhere for the team.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Darwin Walker.

With the Bears in the market for a DT after releasing Tank Johnson, the Bills would be wise to maybe seek a sign-and-trade with Darwin Walker; which would consist of him signing (before August 5) and then trading him to Chicago.

I find it hard to imagine this wouldnt at least slightly improve on the 6th rounder they'll get from Philly. And Walker is a cover two TYPE DT, which Chicago also employs.

I bet money if we cant sign him and he returns to Philly to get cut, that Chicago signs him anyway.

The Spaz
06-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks Pat "doom and gloom' Moran.

Scumbag College
06-26-2007, 06:58 PM
maybe we could send Tim Anderson, Coy Wire, and Walker to Chicago for Briggs.

X-Era
06-26-2007, 07:07 PM
DARIUS VISIT IS INTRIGUING: The Donovin Darius visit is an interesting one. There's no question he's a talented player and he probably has a few good years left in him. From a character standpoint this guy is top notch. A bona fide leader, which could help guys like Angelo Crowell and Chris Kelsay fill the leadership void.
If it goes so far to where they make a contract offer in the coming weeks and he signs there will certainly be a shake-up in the secondary. Not the first week of training camp mind you, but eventually I would think there's a good chance the odd guy out would be Ko Simpson. Darius would start at strong safety and Donte Whitner would start at free safety. Whitner is certainly athletic enough to handle that spot.
Granted I'm getting way ahead of the game here because it is just a visit, but that's how I think things could potentially shake out, if Darius winds up being here.

My take: I absolutey, 100% agree. Even if he didnt overtake Simpson for the starting spot for a year or two, at any capacity he'd be an upgrade somewhere for the team.
Darwin Walker.

With the Bears in the market for a DT after releasing Tank Johnson, the Bills would be wise to maybe seek a sign-and-trade with Darwin Walker; which would consist of him signing (before August 5) and then trading him to Chicago.

I find it hard to imagine this wouldnt at least slightly improve on the 6th rounder they'll get from Philly. And Walker is a cover two TYPE DT, which Chicago also employs.

I bet money if we cant sign him and he returns to Philly to get cut, that Chicago signs him anyway.

Wait a second, if Darius doesnt start, hes an upgrade somewhere on the team??? As what?? back your words. He isnt playing special teams at 32, and if he doesnt start, hes earning vet pay to sit the bench. That doesnt sound like a key find or even a good one to me. No, sign him if hes gonna start, let him sign elsewhere if your all set with your starters.

Walker is a lose lose at this point. I see no point in trading for a starting DT for a meager 6th rounder, only to not pay him starting DT money, and let him leave again. Why go through that...if that player and pick is worth so little to you draft a damn DT with that 6th and cut Tim Anderson. What doesn Tim have to do with this? Does anyone honestly think Darwin Walker cant beat out Tim? We all do, so that means that 6th rounder is worth more than Tim IMO. Walker is worth more money in talent than that 6th round pick, pay the frikkin guy or learn that you screwed up bigtime here because you didnt do your homework on what the "disgruntled" player wants in money BEFORE making the trade.

HAMMER
06-26-2007, 08:28 PM
JP,
Love the chick in you avatar, she is absolutely hypnotizing me with those plump, fresh melons.

ublinkwescore
06-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Could Darius play Whitner's spot, and then we could move Whitner up to CB?

patmoran2006
06-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks Pat "doom and gloom' Moran.
What is "doom and gloom" about that post, Spaz?
Either add something to the conversation with merit, or stay out of it.

patmoran2006
06-26-2007, 08:35 PM
A suggestion Brown made, and that would probably make the most sense logically.

Is that Whitner would move to FS and Darius would start at SS. I have no idea, maybe the team feels Simpson isn't ready to start full-time and that maybe he was forced into last season?

All I know is that the Bills are clearly interested in a player that logic should tell you they wouldn't want. He's old (by this team's standards) and he won't come real cheap either.

Again, maybe the staff isnt as high on Simpson as a lot of people on here. Just like the case with the talk of POZ moving to OLB; maybe the staff isnt as high on Ellison as many people are here.

YardRat
06-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Funny, most of the talk I read about Darius had most thinking he would replace Whitner, and Donte would move to corner. Either way, it's a bad move.

And why the hell would the team sign and trade Walker? If they want to just piss away bonus money, I'll send them my addy.

patmoran2006
06-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Actually, they dont have to sign him to any bonus money.. They may even be able to trade his terms as is and get a fifth from Chicago instead of the sixth should he be returned to PHilly on August 5th.

As of now, he's Buffalo's property. We can do whatever we want with him.

Maybe I should've phrased better. Maybe we can trade him to Chicago now and get more than the 6th that we'll get from Philly. That would constitute perhaps Chicago extending him beforehand -- something Buffalo wasn't smart enough to do before trading for him.

At this point- I'd prefer we just pay him-- it doesnt sound like he's asking for a lot of bank..................but if not if we could find anyway to get better value for him somehow it would be a victory.

Because the trade for him for TKO couldnt look any dumber than it does right now.

patmoran2006
06-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Funny, most of the talk I read about Darius had most thinking he would replace Whitner, and Donte would move to corner. Either way, it's a bad move..

Why is it a 'bad move"??

Has this front office brainwashed fans to the point that they believe that any signing of a "name" player or a guy who's age begins with a "3" is a bad move?

SImpson is very raw; and Whitner is very flexible. Darius can not only help this defense short-term, especially against the run-- but he may be able to help Simpson and Whitner develop..

Whitner can play either safety spot OR cornerback.

It's not like we have a single safety with any real playing experience to teach our guys anything.

Maybe thats what Jauron and Fewel are thinking.

DraftBoy
06-26-2007, 08:58 PM
I think replacing Ko's spot is a mistake he has little to no exp at CB, Whitner should be the one moved if anybody is.

Bulldog
06-26-2007, 09:28 PM
I don't know how serious Buffalo is about signing Darius. DJ & PF should know what they're getting with Darius, as they spent time with him when they were coaches in Jacksonville. I'm kind of torn on this move. While Darius would add a much needed veteran prescence in the secondary, I kind of like the idea of Ko and Donte developing into one of the better safety tandems in the league. And make no mistake about it, this move would hinder the development of Simpson.

JJamezz
06-26-2007, 09:41 PM
I really don't see them moving Whitner to corner.. maybe he's athletic enough, but that's not a good enough reason - there's too much downside to it IMO.

I agree with Brownie, if they sign Darius, Simpson is the odd man out. I think the reasoning is fairly simple, last year they had enough talent at corner to cover (no pun intended.. :ill:) some inadequacy at safety - and this year they're gonna need the safeties to take some of the heat off the corners.. Darius would make that possible.

It doesn't matter how many times people say corner isn't as important in the tampa-2, Nate not being on the field will be felt, particularly early in the year.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about it either though - I liked a lot of what I saw from Simpson (and Whitner) last year, and I'd hate to see them mess with it at this point.

The Spaz
06-26-2007, 10:15 PM
What is "doom and gloom" about that post, Spaz?
Either add something to the conversation with merit, or stay out of it.

Really? You can call Chris Brown a "Homer" though right? Tomatoe-Tomato

Saratoga Slim
06-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Darwin Walker.

If we're not going to pay him, I think you're spot on with the Chitown idea. They just let lose Ian Scott AND Tank, so they've got to be somewhat desparate for DT help at this point. Walker would be a good fit for them. Though they don't appear to be a team that likes giving big paychecks either.

DraftBoy
06-27-2007, 08:12 AM
I really don't see them moving Whitner to corner.. maybe he's athletic enough, but that's not a good enough reason - there's too much downside to it IMO.

Its not about Whitner being athletic enough its the fact that he has spent alot of time there. Played there in HS and at Ohio State until he got moved to safety. He has always had the ability to play CB. So my question is to you and Brown, why would you move Ko who has little to no exp at CB (assuming they even move him to CB) and move Darius who is better suited to be a SS then a FS? Instead of moving one guy and possibly filling a hole, we are going to move two, and take our one stable defensive posistion and raise questions about it? That makes no sense.

Wys Guy
06-27-2007, 08:15 AM

Darwin Walker.

My take is that the Bills need to start getting something worthwhile from their draft picks and Simpson and Whitner are the two top candidates. This team is being driven into the ground fast enough under Levy. Signing a 32-year old S with injury issues would be like putting the nails into his own coffin for Levy. NPI

Simpson and Whitner are the two brightest looking prospects for this team's very questionable personnel people. This is no time to yank one of them in favor of a player that likely won't even be on the field for 16 games.

Darius us nothing for our future. So let's start getting the guys that are the playing time. DD would be a nice backup signing at or near vet min but little else.

DraftBoy
06-27-2007, 08:18 AM
My take is that the Bills need to start getting something worthwhile from their draft picks and Simpson and Whitner are the two top candidates. This team is being driven into the ground fast enough under Levy. Signing a 32-year old S with injury issues would be like putting the nails into his own coffin for Levy. NPI

Simpson and Whitner are the two brightest looking prospects for this team's very questionable personnel people. This is no time to yank one of them in favor of a player that likely won't even be on the field for 16 games.

Darius us nothing for our future. So let's start getting the guys that are the playing time. DD would be a nice backup signing at or near vet min but little else.

Your argument makes no sense, he would add a ton to our D. We all saw both Whitner and Simpson (and more often Simpson) get caught in bad posistions on plays last year and it burned us. Yes it is part of learning but they got nobody to try and lessen the learning curve, and Darius brings that. You act like he cant play anymore and if I do remeber (and I know you'll correct me if Im wrong) you also thought Lawyer Milloy couldnt play anymore either when we signed him.I think adding Darius not only adds a veteran presence to help further mold our young safeties it potentially fills a hole at CB and relieves us of our log jam at SS.

HHURRICANE
06-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Is Darius a good open field tackler? Without any help upfront that will be more important than his pass covering abilities.

JJamezz
06-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Its not about Whitner being athletic enough its the fact that he has spent alot of time there. Played there in HS and at Ohio State until he got moved to safety. He has always had the ability to play CB. So my question is to you and Brown, why would you move Ko who has little to no exp at CB (assuming they even move him to CB) and move Darius who is better suited to be a SS then a FS? Instead of moving one guy and possibly filling a hole, we are going to move two, and take our one stable defensive posistion and raise questions about it? That makes no sense.

Who even mentioned moving Simpson to corner??

And I'm not saying I would agree with the move(s) - personally, I'd rather see our young safety tandem stay together and build on what they started. I just think the Bills reasoning would be to strengthen the safety position in light of the talent we lost at corner.

As for Whitner, I like him better at safety, thats all.

DraftBoy
06-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Who even mentioned moving Simpson to corner??

And I'm not saying I would agree with the move(s) - personally, I'd rather see our young safety tandem stay together and build on what they started. I just think the Bills reasoning would be to strengthen the safety position in light of the talent we lost at corner.

As for Whitner, I like him better at safety, thats all.

I said assuming they move him, not that you suggested it. And if they sign Darius and dare to sit one of our two young DB's then Ill be pissed. I only want Darius if it moves Whitner to CB where I think he'll be a better assest.

GarnOFreak
06-29-2007, 12:26 AM
how do we know he's being considered for Strong Safety anyway? Maybe they are looking at him a a light LB....even with the injuries he's still gonna be faster than most LBs and he is a hard hitter. Food for thought.