PDA

View Full Version : Name your Ultimate Sabres Team!

BillC
03-17-2003, 11:57 AM
3 lines, 3 defense pairings , 2 goalies, 2 goons

1) Martin, Perrault, Robert
D- Jim Schoenfeld, Phil Housley

2)Mogilny, Lafontaine, Andreychuck
D- King Kong Korab, Bill Haijt

3)Danny Gare, Pierre Turgeon, Satan
D- Lindy Ruff , Mike Ramsey

G Hasek, Don Edwards

Goons- Larry Playfair, Rob Ray

Ebenezer
03-17-2003, 12:11 PM
Not a really toughy here and since teams carry a 4th line now I'll add that:

1) Martin, Perrault, Robert
D- Mike Ramsey, Jocelyn Guevermont

--with Ramsey at home the other four could go wild.

2) Mogilny, Lafontaine, Danny Gare
D- Jerry Korab, Bill Hajt

-Korab and Gare tough enough to protect LaFontaine and Mogilny. Hajt, the prototypic stay at home defensemen.

3) Andreychuck, Pierre Turgeon, Satan
D- Phil Housley, Jim Schoenfeld

-Solid line, Schony provides toughness and stay at home for others to skate wild.

4) Ramsay, Luce (need penalty killers) and Ray.

G Hasek, Tom Barrasso

You don't need Playfair when you have Korab, Schony, Gare and Ray on the same team.

Fat Tony
03-17-2003, 12:59 PM
If you toss in a checking line, Ramsey, Luce, and Peca would be pretty damn good.

Earthquake Enyart
03-17-2003, 01:00 PM
No Tim Horton?

No Roger Crozier?

No Roby???

Twistmyarm
03-17-2003, 01:10 PM
and Peca would be pretty damn good.

ya but then you'd have to pay for TV time for Kristen and she'd have to get her own special seat at the games, and a series of TV commercials, and a job as the weather girl....it just wouldn't be worth the hassle!!!!:rock:

Earthquake Enyart
03-17-2003, 01:11 PM
That was true back in the day, too. Dad figured out where the French Connection's wives sat, all dolled up in their fur coats....

Ebenezer
03-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
No Tim Horton?

No Roger Crozier?

No Roby???

Horton-Played with the Sabres when he was old. Not in his prime.

Crozier-See above.

Roby-No.

Earthquake Enyart
03-17-2003, 01:31 PM
I'd take Tim Horton over Guevermont and Hajt in a heartbeat.

Roger Crozier was the most fun goalie to watch that we ever had.

Ebenezer
03-17-2003, 01:37 PM
Peca doesn't get my vote for anything...he loved it here so much he could have accepted a little less to stay.

Forgot to add coach and GM:

Coach: Lindy Ruff...like it or not, Hasek or not, he took a bunch of nobodies to the Finals and Semi-Finals...career leader in wins...

GM: Punch Imlach...not even a question...built a playoff team in 3 years...finalist in 5 years.

Earthquake Enyart
03-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
stay.

Coach: Lindy Ruff...like it or not, Hasek or not, he took a bunch of nobodies to the Finals and Semi-Finals...career leader in wins...

GM: Punch Imlach...not even a question...built a playoff team in 3 years...finalist in 5 years.

Floyd Smith took em to the finals too.

BillC
03-17-2003, 02:17 PM
That was true back in the day, too. Dad figured out where the French Connection's wives sat, all dolled up in their fur coats....

Beleive it or not, back in 1972, my folks were members of the now extinct Buffalo Curling Club.

A number of young Sabres, Rookie Jim Schoenfeld, Tracy Pratt, Rene Robert, and a young Gil Perrault brought their wives/girlfreinds in to play against the members. Perrault's girlfreind got so drunk, she started hurling instead of curling. my Mom had to clean her up in the ladies room! :drunks:

BillC
03-17-2003, 02:18 PM
Coach Scott Bowman

GM- Imlach

Earthquake Enyart
03-17-2003, 02:22 PM
Perreault's wife was a hottie :hump:

Thought they got divorced though?? :huh:

Ebenezer
03-17-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by BillC
Beleive it or not, back in 1972, my folks were members of the
now extinct Buffalo Curling Club.

Actually, bion, the Buffalo Curling Club still exists, although in name only. The "remnants" curl at the Niagara Falls Curling Club (in Ontario). I've curled with a few of them on Friday nights. The only reason the club no longer exists is that the upkeep of the building put them out of business.

SABURZFAN
03-18-2003, 07:34 AM
1.the french connection

D-housley & van boxmeer

2.mogilny-lafontaine-gare

D-korab & schoenfeld

3.andreychuk-turgeon-satan

D-m.ramsey & hajt

4.c.ramsey-luce-foligno

D-ruff & guevermont

G-hasek & edwards

GOONS-playfair & ray

Judge
03-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Peca doesn't get my vote for anything...he loved it here so much he could have accepted a little less to stay.

Lindy Ruff?! That's the funniest thing I read yet on here. The guy was as good as Hasek made him. His true legacy is how poorly he's done w/o Hasek, and how none of the first round talent Regier has acquired for him has developed at all.

Judge
03-26-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
1.the french connection

D-housley & van boxmeer

2.mogilny-lafontaine-gare

D-korab & schoenfeld

3.andreychuk-turgeon-satan

D-m.ramsey & hajt

4.c.ramsey-luce-foligno

D-ruff & guevermont

G-hasek & edwards

GOONS-playfair & ray

This is a helluva team!

Ebenezer
03-26-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Judge
His true legacy is how poorly he's done w/o Hasek, and how none of the first round talent Regier has acquired for him has developed at all.

1st round talent DR has provided?? What are you kidding??

Judge
03-26-2003, 11:53 AM

1st round talent DR has provided?? What are you kidding??

Nope. Do some research and be educated on the first round talent DR provided Lindy while here. Whose fault is it? I blame Lindy for not developing anyone up here.

Judge
03-26-2003, 12:07 PM
This team has a bunch of first round and second round talent on it right now:

Tim Connolly
JP Dumont
Taylor Pyatt
Joechen Hecht
Rory Fitzpatrick
Dmitri Kalinin
Rhett Warrener
Marty Biron
Mika Noronen

The list is likely longer- that's just off the top of my head. Don't forget the talent that the Sabres have shipped after Lindy couldn't make it go anywhere (Sanderson, Gratton, etc.).

Lindy's success in Buffalo is all due to 1 thing: Dominik Hasek. Any hockey coach could have taken the Sabres to the semifinals or farther with Dominik in goal. W/O Dominik, the Sabres are worse than average, and none of the young guys are getting better. Who to blame?

Ebenezer
03-26-2003, 12:13 PM
97 Mika Noranen
98 Dimetri Kalinin
99 Barrett Heisten
00 Artem Kriukov
01 Jiri Novotny
02 Keith Ballard
02 Daniel Paille

RESEARCH DONE...

OK, skip the guys from 2001 and 2002...they are still in Jrs. or College

Noronen and Kalinin are on the roster...Noronen's talent may have been wasted but the second coming of Dom he is not...

Now, can you deny that:
Barrett Heisten---BUST (never in organization)
Artem Kriukov---BUST (may not even be playing hockey anymore)
Jiri Novotny---Barely playing in Rochester...dollars to doughnuts he'll be a BUST.

So, how is this Ruff's fault. Do I need to delve into the second round choices. Won't support your argument any better than the first round choices.

Earthquake Enyart
03-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Judge you list 6 No. 1's that other teams gave up on. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Regier.

Judge
03-26-2003, 04:25 PM
Judge you list 6 No. 1's that other teams gave up on. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Regier.

To Eb- I wasn't talking only about draft choices. I was talking about trades. For example, the trade of Peca for Connolly and Pyatt could be a huge benefit to this team if those guys pan out like expected. Why aren't they?

Wait a second- don't forget that these guys were brought in via trade where Regier was stuck in an unfavorable negotiating posture becuase of the cheap Rigases.

Regier brought in first round talent with the obvious expectation that they would turn into something and be a competitive team. They didn't turn into anything. Whose fault is it? Some of it has to lie at the feet of Lindy, doesn't it?

Earthquake Enyart
03-26-2003, 09:31 PM
Can we expect any changes? Quinn is the guy who brought both Lindy and Darcy here.

Ebenezer
03-27-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Judge

To Eb- I wasn't talking only about draft choices. I was talking about trades. For example, the trade of Peca for Connolly and Pyatt could be a huge benefit to this team if those guys pan out like expected. Why aren't they?

Wait a second- don't forget that these guys were brought in via trade where Regier was stuck in an unfavorable negotiating posture becuase of the cheap Rigases.

Regier brought in first round talent with the obvious expectation that they would turn into something and be a competitive team. They didn't turn into anything. Whose fault is it? Some of it has to lie at the feet of Lindy, doesn't it?

As EE stated...first round talent other teams gave up on...we've had this conversation before...Connolly and Pyatt don't add up to one hockey player. Dumont coasts too much. Fitzpatrick is a career minor leaguer (how can Ruff coach a guy that is never here?!?), Hecht is one of the best players on this team and Warraner, when not injured, plays very well. Do you think another coach could get any more from him?? I think not. BTW, 1st rounders in hockey don't mean crap. Most of them never even play in the league. This team is not in trouble because of things Ruff has done. The Sabres have a history of not drafting/developing goal scoring. They were never an offensive power house even when Hasek was here. You cannot blame Ruff for not developing players that do not make the roster. He does not coach in Rochester nor in the juniors. DR hasn't drafted enough good players and has depended on picking up "1st rounders" that other teams have given up on. Your arguments against Ruff are weak at best.

Judge
03-27-2003, 10:22 AM

As EE stated...first round talent other teams gave up on...we've had this conversation before...Connolly and Pyatt don't add up to one hockey player. Dumont coasts too much. Fitzpatrick is a career minor leaguer (how can Ruff coach a guy that is never here?!?), Hecht is one of the best players on this team and Warraner, when not injured, plays very well. Do you think another coach could get any more from him?? I think not. BTW, 1st rounders in hockey don't mean crap. Most of them never even play in the league. This team is not in trouble because of things Ruff has done. The Sabres have a history of not drafting/developing goal scoring. They were never an offensive power house even when Hasek was here. You cannot blame Ruff for not developing players that do not make the roster. He does not coach in Rochester nor in the juniors. DR hasn't drafted enough good players and has depended on picking up "1st rounders" that other teams have given up on. Your arguments against Ruff are weak at best.

And your arguments in favor of Ruff are pathetic at best, quite frankly.

Explain to me how Ruff is such a good coach when he hasn't gotten anything out of this team since Hasek left? It can't be everyone else's fault but him. A good coach can get production out of players. He has not been able to find a way to improve this team. You labelled him the best coach in team history, not me. I would take Punch Imlach, Floyd Smith, Scotty Bowman, Ted Nolan, Jim Schoenfeld, John Muckler and maybe even Billy Inglis over Lindy.

I like Lindy for what he is, but I don't believe he's the best in team history. If he was he'd be able to create a way to help Connolly, etc., produce. It simply cannot be blamed completely on the players.

Ebenezer
03-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Simply put neither Toe Blake nor Scotty Bowman could get this team into the playoffs.

Earthquake Enyart
03-27-2003, 02:22 PM
What ever happened to Billy Inglis? :eek:

Don't get me wrong Judge, I'm with you on Ruff. He's got to go.

Darcy does make a nice move here or there (Hecht, Briere), but I'm no fan of his. I'd certainly take Darcy over Mike Smith or Neil Smith

Sabre Ally
03-27-2003, 02:54 PM
I think you're wrong, Eb. This team can win if it wants to. Ruff simply is not able to make them want to win. Is that his fault? Not completely. But sometimes a coaching change is just necessary, despite the abilities of the current coaching staff.

Ebenezer
03-27-2003, 03:24 PM
I don't disagree. As much as I like Lindy, it is too much to ask for him to turn this team around. The message has been lost.

Sabre Ally
03-27-2003, 08:10 PM
I'm confused here....you don't disagree that the team has the ability to win, but yet you also say neither Blake nor Bowman could win with them? Exactly what are you saying?

fushetti
03-28-2003, 08:30 PM
Wheres Ray Sheppard? Oh, I forgot, we traded him before his prime for nothing to the Rangers... His 300 odd goals couldnt have possibly helped the team.