PDA

View Full Version : Is Marshawn Lynch a prime candidate for OROY?

Bling
06-27-2007, 10:19 AM
In the history of the Offensive Rookie of the Year. Only 3 positions have ever won the award. Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receiver. 5 of the last 8 have been RB. 10 of the last 14 have been RB. Besides Anquan Boldin, Ben Roethlisbeger, Vince Young, Randy Moss from the previous 14 mentioned, all of them have been RBs.

1st Rounders:
Cadillac Williams
Edgerrin James
Warrick Dunn
Eddie George
Marshall Faulk
Jerome Bettis

2nd Rounders:
Anthony Thomas
Clinton Portis

3rd Rounder:
Curtis Martin

6th Rounder:
Mike Anderson

Here's a list of the RB's selected in rounds 1-3
Adrian Peterson (Min.)
Marshawn Lynch (Buf.)
Kenny Irons (Cin.)
Chris Henry (Tenn.)
Brandon Jackson (GB)
Lorenzo Booker (Mia.)
Marcus McCauley (Min.)
Tony Hunt (Phil.)
Garret Wolfe (Chi.)

Of those, pending injuries these guys won't see time. McCauley has Peterson and Taylor before him. Hunt has Westbrook. Booker has Brown. Irons has Johnson.

So now the list looks like:
Adrian Peterson (Min.)
Marshawn Lynch (Buf.)
Chris Henry (Tenn.)
Brandon Jackson (GB)
Garrett Wolfe (Chi.)

Wolfe has Benson before him, but nobody knows Benson yet. But just from the need to test out Chicago's former 5th overall pick, Wolfe is out. Peterson has a 1200 yard rusher in Chester Taylor before him, so his opportunities are limited for now.

Marshawn Lynch (Buf.)
Chris Henry (Tenn.)
Brandon Jackson (GB)

Buffalo has no RB option at all (assuming that you think A-Train is a dud like I do). Henry has a decent RB in Brown before him, but Brown is hurt and they lost their true RB in Travis Henry. Then there's Green Bay who actually has a worse situation that Buffalo. Vernand Morency was an interesting scatback a few years ago. Besides that, nobody you guys would recognize.

So for RB, by process of elimination, it looks like Marshawn Lynch vs. Brandon Jackson. Of course, you could also say that WR and QB are still options. Well QB consists of Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Trent Edwards. Pending any injury, only Quinn and Russell will see major playing time. Neither team that Quinn and Russell play on will scratch the playoffs like Young and Roethlisbeger did.

As far as WR: Johnson, Ginn, Jarrett, Meachem, Bowe, Davis, Rice, Gonzalez, Smith. Johnson, Ginn, Bowe are the only ones I'd expect to get some playing time. Johnson will be a great threat at the next level, but Detroit already has 2 WR's over 1000 yards. Ginn is interesting because he can be a Devin Hester in ST, and a deep threat at WR. However, he'll start the season as the third option. I only expect Bowe to really compete for Kansas.

My guess for now is it's:
Marshawn Lynch vs. Brandon Jackson vs. Dwayne Bowe

patmoran2006
06-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Good breakdown.

My personal pick however is someone you didnt even mention: Sidney Rice, Minnesota.

I also like Craig Davis, SD as a darkhorse.

patmoran2006
06-27-2007, 10:36 AM
To answer your question directly.
The only reason I think Lynch won't be a prime candidate is because I think A-Train is going to get a lot of carries in the early part of the season while Lynch plays a more specific role.

Pinkerton Security
06-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Good breakdown.

My personal pick however is someone you didnt even mention: Sidney Rice, Minnesota.

I agree, I think Williamson is a Bee you ess tee bust, so I see Rice getting time, but I dont think Tavaris is quite ready, so it may limit his production.

Good breakdown Bling, although I think Calvin is going to dominate CB's when hes on the field, i guess it all depends on how often they throw him the ball.

With that, i think Lynch, Johnson, and Rice are my 3 favorites for OROY, in that order.

Bling
06-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Good breakdown.

I don't think Craig Davis is anything more than Roscoe Parrish.

As for Rice, it's interesting. I don't know why I never really thought about it. I do wonder about Minny's QB situation, but if Anquan Boldin could do it, he can too.

patmoran2006
06-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Between LT and Gates, DAvis wont see a single team all season long.

casdhf
06-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Nor will he really see a football--kind of important if you want to be an offensive ROY

DraftBoy
06-27-2007, 10:55 AM
I dont think Lynch is really a top candidate, look for Calvin Johnson to take the award. Kitna knows he can catch the ball, and with Roy Williams drawing double teams, he'll put up big numbers early and often.

Bling
06-27-2007, 11:09 AM
I dont think Lynch is really a top candidate, look for Calvin Johnson to take the award. Kitna knows he can catch the ball, and with Roy Williams drawing double teams, he'll put up big numbers early and often.

But there's also Mike Furrey. The guy was number two in the league in receptions. Better than Marvin Harrison. Johnson has to earn his spot on that Lions team.

mikemac2001
06-27-2007, 11:30 AM
lynch is gonna get alot of touches in this scheme so i think he has a very good chance...depends on what he does with those touches

mayotm
06-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Many feel Lynch will split carries with Thomas for the first part of the season. That may be the current plan. However, I think Lynch will prove to be too good to keep off the field. Especially because he fits the offensive scheme so well. Thus, he probably has a decent shot at offensive rookie of the year.

X-Era
06-27-2007, 07:33 PM
In the history of the Offensive Rookie of the Year. Only 3 positions have ever won the award. Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receiver. 5 of the last 8 have been RB. 10 of the last 14 have been RB. Besides Anquan Boldin, Ben Roethlisbeger, Vince Young, Randy Moss from the previous 14 mentioned, all of them have been RBs.

1st Rounders:
Cadillac Williams
Edgerrin James
Warrick Dunn
Eddie George
Marshall Faulk
Jerome Bettis

2nd Rounders:
Anthony Thomas
Clinton Portis

3rd Rounder:
Curtis Martin

6th Rounder:
Mike Anderson

Here's a list of the RB's selected in rounds 1-3
Adrian Peterson (Min.)
Marshawn Lynch (Buf.)
Kenny Irons (Cin.)
Chris Henry (Tenn.)
Brandon Jackson (GB)
Lorenzo Booker (Mia.)
Marcus McCauley (Min.)
Tony Hunt (Phil.)
Garret Wolfe (Chi.)

Of those, pending injuries these guys won't see time. McCauley has Peterson and Taylor before him. Hunt has Westbrook. Booker has Brown. Irons has Johnson.

Adrian Peterson (Min.)
Marshawn Lynch (Buf.)
Chris Henry (Tenn.)
Brandon Jackson (GB)
Garrett Wolfe (Chi.)

Wolfe has Benson before him, but nobody knows Benson yet. But just from the need to test out Chicago's former 5th overall pick, Wolfe is out. Peterson has a 1200 yard rusher in Chester Taylor before him, so his opportunities are limited for now.

Marshawn Lynch (Buf.)
Chris Henry (Tenn.)
Brandon Jackson (GB)

Buffalo has no RB option at all (assuming that you think A-Train is a dud like I do). Henry has a decent RB in Brown before him, but Brown is hurt and they lost their true RB in Travis Henry. Then there's Green Bay who actually has a worse situation that Buffalo. Vernand Morency was an interesting scatback a few years ago. Besides that, nobody you guys would recognize.

So for RB, by process of elimination, it looks like Marshawn Lynch vs. Brandon Jackson. Of course, you could also say that WR and QB are still options. Well QB consists of Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Trent Edwards. Pending any injury, only Quinn and Russell will see major playing time. Neither team that Quinn and Russell play on will scratch the playoffs like Young and Roethlisbeger did.

As far as WR: Johnson, Ginn, Jarrett, Meachem, Bowe, Davis, Rice, Gonzalez, Smith. Johnson, Ginn, Bowe are the only ones I'd expect to get some playing time. Johnson will be a great threat at the next level, but Detroit already has 2 WR's over 1000 yards. Ginn is interesting because he can be a Devin Hester in ST, and a deep threat at WR. However, he'll start the season as the third option. I only expect Bowe to really compete for Kansas.

My guess for now is it's:
Marshawn Lynch vs. Brandon Jackson vs. Dwayne Bowe
I honestly believe Marshawn Lynch is a better prospect than Ronnie Brown. I also honestly believe that Lynch will have the better career.

I will make a vow to come here and rebuke my own words if I am wrong. What say you????

As far as your question goes, I think Lynch will play all year long and Peterson will get hurt early, so, I think Lynch gains the most yards of any rookie and gets the most accolades and goes and wins the offensive rookie of the year.

I honestly cant see Johnson winning it because of his team, Roy Williams will demand enough throws to kill Johnsons hopes of OROY. After that its Peterson and Lynch. I think Lynch gets it.

Bling
06-27-2007, 07:46 PM
I honestly believe Marshawn Lynch is a better prospect than Ronnie Brown. I also honestly believe that Lynch will have the better career.

I will make a vow to come here and rebuke my own words if I am wrong. What say you????

Can I ask what this has to do with the thread at all?

X-Era
06-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Can I ask what this has to do with the thread at all?

Sure...dont pick and choose, its all there, including the answer to your original question. I took the opportunity to ask you to partake in a wager with NO money on the line, you took the opportunity to play the martyr. Come on man, dont quote what fits your cause, quote what answers the question you asked if thats your taste.

Lynch is the real deal and Im willing to put my name on it, what about you with Ronnie Brown?

Bling
06-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Sure...dont pick and choose, its all there, including the answer to your original question. I took the opportunity to ask you to partake in a wager with NO money on the line, you took the opportunity to play the martyr. Come on man, dont quote what fits your cause, quote what answers the question you asked if thats your taste.

Lynch is the real deal and Im willing to put my name on it, what about you with Ronnie Brown?

Fine. If you're here 3 years from now, I want 5000 ZBs when Ronnie Brown has more yards collectively over the next 3 years.

TigerJ
06-28-2007, 11:24 AM
It's going to be all about touches. I think Lynch is going to get more than Pat thinks he will get. For that reason, I thing Lynch has a great shot at OROY. Calvin Johnson has all the tools to be the best WR ever, but the odds still favor a running back because top running backs still tend to come out of the gate faster than WRs. However, because there aare always unknowns, an iron clad prediction is impossible to make.

GarnOFreak
06-29-2007, 12:34 AM
question...when did Marcus McCauley switch from DB to RB? Did I miss that?

Marshawn=TD's
06-29-2007, 04:07 AM
Put money on it. He will win it.

Bling
06-29-2007, 11:56 AM
question...when did Marcus McCauley switch from DB to RB? Did I miss that?
Nice catch. I went to NFLdraftcountdown, and just went down the list of RB's I saw. I have no idea who McCauley is.

<table style="border: 1px solid rgb(130, 130, 130);" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#240a67"><td colspan="2" class="topbar2">72. MINNESOTA VIKINGS</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(130, 130, 130);" valign="bottom">Marcus McCauley</td> <td style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(130, 130, 130);" align="right" valign="bottom">RB | Fresno St. | Scouting Report (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/marcusmccauley.html)</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"> Great talent with outstanding measurables but he really struggled as a senior in 2006. </td></tr></tbody></table>
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/results/results3.html

FlyingDutchman
06-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Anyone know what Minnesota is going to do with their two backs? Is Peterson getting the start? I thought Taylor was pretty damn good last year, especially receiving out of the backfield.

X-Era
06-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Fine. If you're here 3 years from now, I want 5000 ZBs when Ronnie Brown has more yards collectively over the next 3 years.

DONE!!!

Bling
08-10-2007, 03:58 PM
bump

RoanokeVABillsFan
08-10-2007, 05:33 PM
According to Adam Schefter, he's the early season favorite and I agree. I already have his jersey! Here's the link: http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10288595