• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • im4bflo
    the EPITOMY of PATHETIC
    • Sep 2003

the West Coast DEFENSE

Keeping it simple, just keep your man in front of you, just giving short yardage, and no big plays. Everyone know's their job going in.
    Should be a little easier for the rookies and new players.
    Let their talents make plays.
    And get that ball back to the offense!
    Sounds good to me!
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: the West Coast DEFENSE

Originally posted by im4bflo
    Keeping it simple, just keep your man in front of you, just giving short yardage, and no big plays. Everyone know's their job going in.
    Should be a little easier for the rookies and new players.
    Let their talents make plays.
    And get that ball back to the offense!
    Sounds good to me!
    Consistently giving short yardage isnt going to the back to the offense much.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• im4bflo
      the EPITOMY of PATHETIC
      • Sep 2003

Yeah, I guess giving up a big play, will get the offense back on quicker
      It's pretty much what we were trying to do last year, trying to keep them in short yardage plays. What else do you try with the players we have this year?

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by im4bflo
        Yeah, I guess giving up a big play, will get the offense back on quicker
        It's pretty much what we were trying to do last year, trying to keep them in short yardage plays. What else do you try with the players we have this year?
        I actually agree with you about the defensive philosophy.

My point is that by playing that bend but dont break defense, you're not going to win many time of possession battles.

Teams are more likely to chew up large chunks of the clock by methodically going down field.

EVery defense has a lot of ups and downs. The ups about a more aggressive defense (anti cover two) is that by blizting and taking more chances your more likely to generate sacks, 3 and outs and turnovers- which gives the offense the ball more.. The downside of course is your more likely to get burned by the big play- so making a mistake costs you 7.

Upside of our defense is we SHOULD give up far fewer big plays as teams will likely take what we give them.. The downside is our offense can easily go large portions of the game on the sidelines.

Unless your defense is sick like Chicago.. Then it really doesnt matter. THey play a cover two, dont give up a lot of big plays, AND take the ball away.

Comment

• im4bflo
          the EPITOMY of PATHETIC
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
          I actually agree with you about the defensive philosophy.

My point is that by playing that bend but dont break defense, you're not going to win many time of possession battles.

Teams are more likely to chew up large chunks of the clock by methodically going down field.

EVery defense has a lot of ups and downs. The ups about a more aggressive defense (anti cover two) is that by blizting and taking more chances your more likely to generate sacks, 3 and outs and turnovers- which gives the offense the ball more.. The downside of course is your more likely to get burned by the big play- so making a mistake costs you 7.

Upside of our defense is we SHOULD give up far fewer big plays as teams will likely take what we give them.. The downside is our offense can easily go large portions of the game on the sidelines.

Unless your defense is sick like Chicago.. Then it really doesnt matter. THey play a cover two, dont give up a lot of big plays, AND take the ball away.
          Nothing bugs me more than to see someone like (Marsha) Brady, dink and dunk all the way down the field. I'd like to see Kelsay start sacking like Schobel, and the blitz worked also. You're right about having to take shots once in a while.
          But we've got to keep it simple for the personel we've got, but when them LB's learn the system, and are turned loose, it'll be great.
          I think we're on our way?

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

I think defensively if the young guys mature, then in 2008 the defense will be on their way.

Whitner, Simpson, Youboty, Ellison, K Wiliams and McCargo will be third year pros-- while Poz won't be a rookie anymore.

I think you can give up all hope on Kelsay.. He ****ing sucks unless you want to pad the statsheet with a sack or two in a meaningless blowout. I could be wrong (its late) I cant recall a single BIG big play Kelsay has made at a critical part of the game.(thought for a new thread there). Im sure there is 1-2 but they are surely not coming to me.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

That depends on how efficient the offense is when they have the ball.

If our defense can keep points off the board, and the offense can improve to the point where they're efficient and scoring, then the advantage becomes ours in the latter parts of games and the trends from last year have been reversed.

Turnovers and TOP will come if we go into the fourth quarter with a lead instead of being behind.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• im4bflo
                the EPITOMY of PATHETIC
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                I think defensively if the young guys mature, then in 2008 the defense will be on their way.

Whitner, Simpson, Youboty, Ellison, K Wiliams and McCargo will be third year pros-- while Poz won't be a rookie anymore.

I think you can give up all hope on Kelsay.. He ****ing sucks unless you want to pad the statsheet with a sack or two in a meaningless blowout. I could be wrong (its late) I cant recall a single BIG big play Kelsay has made at a critical part of the game.(thought for a new thread there). Im sure there is 1-2 but they are surely not coming to me.
                Oh hell yeah, next year we'll be that much better again.
                I'm hoping the guys that are coming back from injuries, stay healthy now.
                I hope McCargo isn't a bust. We need him this year.
                And I'm 'hoping' Kelsay get's his act together, that would be great for Schobel.
                He was a beast at Nebraska. He needs to turn it up! I don't know if sharing the spot with Denney hurt him, or what.

Comment

Working...
                X