BRIERE: “I wish things would have gotten done earlier with Buffalo, but they didn't"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

BRIERE: “I wish things would have gotten done earlier with Buffalo, but they didn't"

Daniel Briere landed in Southern California on Thursday afternoon. That’s bad news for Buffalo Sabres fans. The club’s scoring king was to meet co-captain Chris Drury, who lives in Manhattan Beach, Calif., and discuss their intentions.

The NHL free agency period begins at noon Sunday, and contracts for both centers are up. As two of the more coveted unrestricted free agents, they’re bound to field several lucrative offers.

But the main reason Briere jetted to the coast wasn’t to talk shop with Drury. Briere journeyed there to be with his agent, Pat Brisson, so they can evaluate each offer together.

• OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: BRIERE: “I wish things would have gotten done earlier with Buffalo, but they didn't"

Is anyone else starting to think that we're going to lose Drury, Briere AND Zubrus?

Losing Zubrus was pretty much a given, but when the season ended it seemed like they'd be able to keep at least one of the other two- now the possibility of keeping neither is getting more likely every day.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
      Zero for Zero!
      • Mar 2003

Re: BRIERE: “I wish things would have gotten done earlier with Buffalo, but they didn't"

This really shows how much the NHL has changed in one year.

Last year many of us thought 5 million a year was too much for Briere, now it would be a bargain.
      Originally posted by mysticsoto
      Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
        Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
        • Jan 2004

yep. stupid, if ya ask me. this doesn't bode well at all.

i wish they would have tried to keep briere or drury, resign zubrus and vanek.

at least we tendered vanek, but who knows if another team will offer him more?

Comment

• bigbub2352
          • Feb 2005

We r in trouble, Darcy mightg be good at drafting but i hate to say it he blows at contract negotiations, how do u offer the same money to a player looking for a raise, we could have signed him last year to this deal, man why have a team here if we continue to develop players for other teams
          XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by jfreeman
            yep. stupid, if ya ask me. this doesn't bode well at all.

i wish they would have tried to keep briere or drury, resign zubrus and vanek.

at least we tendered vanek, but who knows if another team will offer him more?
            They still have right of first refusal with Vanek.

And they are trying to keep Drury. They are talking to him.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by bigbub2352
              We r in trouble, Darcy mightg be good at drafting but i hate to say it he blows at contract negotiations, how do u offer the same money to a player looking for a raise, we could have signed him last year to this deal, man why have a team here if we continue to develop players for other teams
              How do you figure that? The Sabres did not develop Briere or Drury or Zubrus,

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Re: BRIERE: “I wish things would have gotten done earlier with Buffalo, but they didn

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                They still have right of first refusal with Vanek.

And they are trying to keep Drury. They are talking to him.
                but Drury wants to go out west so he'll be even more difficult to keep than Briere. If they think $5 million a season will keep Drury here with 2 WC teams vying for his services, they're insane.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Briere has every right to be upset. Darcy had all this time to get something done, and now at the last minute he throws his an offer that is the same amount of money as last year, even though he had such a damn good season. I really believe Briere would have stayed here for $6 or $6.5 million, but he wanted to get something done a while ago. NOT 2 ****ing days before free agency begins.

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Re: BRIERE: “I wish things would have gotten done earlier with Buffalo, but they didn

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    but Drury wants to go out west so he'll be even more difficult to keep than Briere. If they think $5 million a season will keep Drury here with 2 WC teams vying for his services, they're insane.
                    Same thing with Briere. If they think $5 million will keep him here....they are

Comment

• don137
                      • Jul 2002

Regier has brought in some good talent but he sure gets a bad grade for not locking up players when he had the chance at a much cheaper price. He got in a pickle last summer due to so many one year contracts. If he didn't wait until the season was over he could of locked up McKee and Briere for much cheaper long term contracts and maybe not lose Dumont. McKee would of been had for the same price we are paying Spacek and if did not wait until Briere finished the season before last to sign a long term he could of been had for under 6MM a season.
                      Plus I think Vanek will be much more expensive by not getting a deal done sooner and letting the market decide what he is worth. It takes one GM to offer him a rediculous contract.
                      I believe both players would of signed earlier. Something tells me Drury probably wanted to play out his contract and so I won't blame Regier for that one.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                        I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                        • May 2005

The only possible upside to losing both is it's a lot of money we'll have left to sign Vanek and go after other UFAs... but I still don't see that turning out anywhere nearly as good as signing at least one of these two.

Comment

• RockStar36
                          Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                          • Sep 2004

It's all Darcy's fault. He's the only one in the negotiations. No agents or players. Just Darcy. Run him out of town.

D & S Sports

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
                            It's all Darcy's fault. He's the only one in the negotiations. No agents or players. Just Darcy. Run him out of town.
                            Yeah get rid of him. He has only single handedly built a winning team.

Comment

• don137
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
                              The only possible upside to losing both is it's a lot of money we'll have left to sign Vanek and go after other UFAs... but I still don't see that turning out anywhere nearly as good as signing at least one of these two.
                              You're right but by waiting the Sabres are probably going to have to match a rediculous offer and Vanek will cost a lot more than hoped.

Comment

Working...
                              X