PDA

View Full Version : Ten-million dollar club

The Spaz
06-29-2007, 07:17 PM
One of the biggest offseason free-agent spending sprees still wasn't enough to eat up much of the NFL's available salary-cap space. As a result, the league could be in for another significant rise in player salaries this year and next.

Fourteen of the NFL's 32 teams have not used at least $10 million of the $109-million salary cap, according to figures from the NFL Players Association. And of those 14, seven have at least $15 million in cap space.

That means contracts for average players will continue to rise as they did at the start of free agency this year when offensive linemen such as Derrick Dockery and Eric Steinbach received deals that averaged $7 million a year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-caproom062907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The Spaz
06-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Nobody has commented on this? I thought we were the only one's using the "cash to the cap system"?

BillsFever21
06-30-2007, 04:08 AM
Nobody has commented on this? I thought we were the only one's using the "cash to the cap system"?

The difference is we would have about 40 million in cap space if we were usng their type of a system.

HHURRICANE
06-30-2007, 10:16 AM
I guess we need the 20 million to sign Poz and Lynch.:sailor:

venis2k1
06-30-2007, 10:54 AM
That spells bad news for this franchise.

TacklingDummy
06-30-2007, 12:29 PM
That means contracts for average players will continue to rise as they did at the start of free agency this year when offensive linemen such as Derrick Dockery

Hmm, Dockery is average?

So much for that improved O-line.

patmoran2006
06-30-2007, 05:53 PM
So we got the 2nd most cap room in the entire NFL...

No comment.

Ed
07-02-2007, 01:47 PM
"In other words, even if the Buffalo Bills use all of their rookie cap money and their players earn around $5 million in bonuses, they would still have more than $12 million in cap space remaining and could roll that into their 2008 allowance."

So if we've got all this money right now and are going to have even more next year, and not have anyone of any significance hitting free agency, there's absolutely no excuse to not get at least some of our top guys (Evans, Peters, Losman, Crowell, Schobel) locked up long term after this season.

I didn't realize we were so far under the cap still. I figured with all the money we spent on the O-line and re-signing Kelsay that we were pretty close to our limit while still having room to sign the rookies. This makes me wonder why we didn't pursue other free agents like Adalius Thomas harder, or try and at least make a competetive offer to Clements.

With 20+ million still available, why aren't we trying to make a move for Briggs?