• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Jacobs 'might' be interested if Bills were for sale

If the Buffalo Bills were for sale, would you be interested in buying the team? The answer is worth noting.
    The reply from Jacobs, the billionaire chairman of Buffalo-based Delaware North Cos., was affirmative.
    "It would be something I might be interested in," Jacobs said. "I think it is a great product."
    Jacobs knows sports products, and he already owns one - the National Hockey League's Boston Bruins - which in itself would be a major deterrent to his buying the Bills. NFL rules prohibit those who own a major sports franchise in an NFL city from buying a football team in another city. Thus, because the Boston region is already home to football's New England Patriots, NFL rules don't allow the Bills to be sold to Jacobs. And he isn't selling the Bruins.
    "The NFL would have to change its rules," Jacobs said.
    However, those same rules would allow B. Thomas Golisano, the owner of the Buffalo Sabres and another wealthy businessman, to purchase the Bills.
    But as Jacobs and Golisano - who has also acknowledged his potential interest in the Bills - point out, the football team is not for sale. It remains in the control of its healthy and active 88-year-old founder, Ralph Wilson Jr. Talk of the Bills' future is fueled only by Wilson's age and his recently stated intentions to keep the team for as long as he lives. Only after Wilson dies will his family sell the team, and that's when talk of the team's future in Buffalo will switch into high gear.
    Many hope that an upstate New Yorker such as Jacobs, Golisano or Rich Products Corp. Chairman Robert Rich Jr. will buy the team, recently valued by Forbes at $627 million, and keep it here. Beyond any emotional ties he might feel as a Western New Yorker, Jacobs has a practical reason to want the Bills here: His Delaware North Sportservice subsidiary handles concessions at Ralph Wilson Stadium.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: Jacobs 'might' be interested if Bills were for sale

Financial incentives & tie in, i like it. Scary part is the concession guy is worth more than the owner.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

Rich, doesn't have the cash.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
        Unreachable Douche
        • Jul 2002

Jacobs sounds like the perfect owner for the Bills. Look what he has done with the Bruins. :sarcasm off:

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
          Jacobs sounds like the perfect owner for the Bills. Look what he has done with the Bruins. :sarcasm off:
          A crappy owner with the team still in Buffalo is better than a good owner with the team somewhere else.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
            A crappy owner with the team still in Buffalo is better than a good owner with the team somewhere else.
            Pat agrees with your first 3 words.

Comment

• venis2k1
              Youboty can hope
              • Jul 2002

its a moot point, Ralph is never gonna die.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Jacobs has the NFL rules on ownership to contend with. I could envision a group led by Golisano as majority owner, Jacobs, Rich, and some other minor investors stepping up.

I hope.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                  Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                  • Jun 2005

Hell NO! He ruined my Bruins Dammit he sucks and only pockets the money. Hes a piece of garbage.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by BillsIN05
                    Hell NO! He ruined my Bruins Dammit he sucks and only pockets the money. Hes a piece of garbage.
                    He has to spend the money. It's in the CBA.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mikey82
                      This is why Buffalo sports continues to lose and we never get better. Many fans are satisfied with a cheaply ran crappy product as long as it means the team stays in Buffalo. Yeah I love the Bills in Buffalo and hope they never move but I can never accept a cheap inferior product just to keep the team here. I still expect them to spend like your average team would. Unfortunately that is what we get here in Buffalo.

That is what you get with teams like the Marlins and Devil Rays. The difference is there isn't a cap in baseball so they are really behind the other teams in spending. There is in football and there is plenty of money and revenue sharing to go around but our owner still insists on not spending the money to build a team.

Comment

Working...
                      X