• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • im4bflo
    the EPITOMY of PATHETIC
    • Sep 2003

S/ST #29 John Wendling

I really like this guy, and hope he makes the team.
    Sorry I don't know how to do the link thing,
    but there's a great arcticle about him on the BB website,
    and a really good read. You'll like him to!
    Maybe someone with the 'skills' could post the arcticle here?
    Last edited by im4bflo; 06-30-2007, 11:39 PM.
  • Talk0fNewYork
    ~ I Can't Feel My Face ~
    • Jan 2007

Re: S/ST #29 John Wendling

We wouldn't of drafted him if he wasn't gonna make the team! What is Leonard gonna take his spot?

Comment

• venis2k1
      Youboty can hope
      • Jul 2002

I like Leonard and wilson too. sure hope we dont bring in dinosaur darius.

Comment

• venis2k1
        Youboty can hope
        • Jul 2002

I assume you are talkin about this

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by im4bflo
          I really like this guy, and hope he makes the team.
          Sorry I don't know how to do the link thing,
          but there's a great arcticle about him on the BB website,
          and a really good read. You'll like him to!
          Maybe someone with the 'skills' could post the arcticle here?
          copy/paste the web address

Comment

• im4bflo
            the EPITOMY of PATHETIC
            • Sep 2003

He's a great STer, and that's how you get a job as a rook.
            We're pretty deep at S, so he'll have to shine at TC.
            And his attitude has BUFFALO all over it.
            I'm a WENDLING fan!

Comment

Originally posted by im4bflo
              He's a great STer, and that's how you get a job as a rook.
              We're pretty deep at S, so he'll have to shine at TC.
              And his attitude has BUFFALO all over it.
              I'm a WENDLING fan!
              No one seems to pick up on this, but he obviously won't see much playing time with Whitner and Simpson in there. And frankly, if he does, what would it say for either of those two and Levy's efforts there after a pretty much lackluster draft last year otherwise?

But who cares what Wendling brings to STs?

Our STs were ranked 1st in the two seasons prior to Levy's arrival and dipped slightly last year. So I'd just prefer that they leave the STs alone before ruining that too.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!", eh.

Why this dunderheaded FO and personnel department is working on the creme de la creme of our entire team and the only part that has provided consistent and stellar play (AHEM, Moorman has pretty much been our team MVP in recent seasons) is just one more example of a collection of managers and coaches who if asked to tell the difference between their sphincters and and the hole in a spittoon if asked to do so.

Meanwhile they utterly ignore the most problematic areas of the team or are being too smart by half in trying to reinvent the wheel there.

It's amazing that they make so much money for screwing things up when they really don't have much wiggle room to get worse.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                No one seems to pick up on this, but he obviously won't see much playing time with Whitner and Simpson in there. And frankly, if he does, what would it say for either of those two and Levy's efforts there after a pretty much lackluster draft last year otherwise?

But who cares what Wendling brings to STs?

Our STs were ranked 1st in the two seasons prior to Levy's arrival and dipped slightly last year. So I'd just prefer that they leave the STs alone before ruining that too.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!", eh.

Why this dunderheaded FO and personnel department is working on the creme de la creme of our entire team and the only part that has provided consistent and stellar play (AHEM, Moorman has pretty much been our team MVP in recent seasons) is just one more example of a collection of managers and coaches who if asked to tell the difference between their sphincters and and the hole in a spittoon if asked to do so.

Meanwhile they utterly ignore the most problematic areas of the team or are being too smart by half in trying to reinvent the wheel there.

It's amazing that they make so much money for screwing things up when they really don't have much wiggle room to get worse.
                I take it you don't believe in "best player available."

What did we have as depth for Simpson and Whitner at either safety position? Pretty much zero. Wendling's a sixth round pick for crying out loud. You don't take a guy in the sixth round thinking he's going to immediately challenge a starter for their job. He's a backup for the foreseeable future, and whether or not safety was a "problem area," we needed some depth. I don't think our "problem areas" of DT or CB would be assuredly helped by anyone we could have gotten in the 6th round. At that point in the draft, you take what's on the board.

Moreover, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?" That's just plain crap. My car's running fine right now, but if I don't add gas, it'll probably stop sooner or later.

The whole reason our special teams is so stellar is that we make it a priority. It's only going to stay stellar if we continue to make it a priority, which means keep looking for guys that can improve it. Look at the Colts--they're absolutely stocked at WR with Marvin and Reggie, yet they still spend their 1st rounder on a WR. Why? To make sure the best offense in the league remains the best offense in the league. And yet you're complaining about a guy we took in the 6th round??
                Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                  • Jul 2005

As to Darius, I'm not sure what we're considering doing with him. But as far as we know, maybe Whitner gets moved to CB and Darius plays SS for a year or so while Wendling is groomed. Let's not be too quick to bash the FO for ignoring the "problem areas" before we see what indeed they have in mind.
                  Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• im4bflo
                    the EPITOMY of PATHETIC
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim

What did we have as depth for Simpson and Whitner at either safety position? Pretty much zero. Wendling's a sixth round pick for crying out loud. You don't take a guy in the sixth round thinking he's going to immediately challenge a starter for their job. He's a backup for the foreseeable future, and whether or not safety was a "problem area," we needed some depth. I don't think our "problem areas" of DT or CB would be assuredly helped by anyone we could have gotten in the 6th round. At that point in the draft, you take what's on the board.

Moreover, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?" That's just plain crap. My car's running fine right now, but if I don't add gas, it'll probably stop sooner or later.

The whole reason our special teams is so stellar is that we make it a priority. It's only going to stay stellar if we continue to make it a priority, which means keep looking for guys that can improve it. Look at the Colts--they're absolutely stocked at WR with Marvin and Reggie, yet they still spend their 1st rounder on a WR. Why? To make sure the best offense in the league remains the best offense in the league. And yet you're complaining about a guy we took in the 6th round??
                    Exactly, he's great depth, on top of being a guy who's going to help our ST keep that #1 status. He's all about team, he's used to playing in our kind of weather, coming from Wyoming. He wanted to come to Buffalo, because he's a small town kind of guy. He's going to be one of those guys the fans love to watch and root for.

Comment

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
                      No, sure don't, at least not when you don't even have starters in many spots.

Besides, what good does a "best player available" approach do if that particular player will either hardly see the field of if he does will only replace another player on a formerly top-ranked unit? And who says that Wendling will play well enough on STs to keep the unit ranked that high? You willing to place your reputation on the line for that.

I take it that you don't believe in the approach that yields the greatest marginal rate of return/performance. Sad. Neither did Donadope and neither does Levy.

Then again, it could be the personnel office that was in place for both administrations. ...

... NAH! That makes far too much sense.

Comment

Darius would be a good signing for $1M a season. He's not even guaranteed to make it through an entire season even as a backup. The man's 32.

He'd be a nothing signing. We're going nowhere. Just as with Vincent, by the time that some are foolishly hoping that Levy's "plan" actually comes together, Darius will be using a walker.

Comment

• im4bflo
                          the EPITOMY of PATHETIC
                          • Sep 2003

Besides, what good does a "best player available" approach do if that particular player will either hardly see the field of if he does will only replace another player on a formerly top-ranked unit? And who says that Wendling will play well enough on STs to keep the unit ranked that high? You willing to place your reputation on the line for that.

I take it that you don't believe in the approach that yields the greatest marginal rate of return/performance. Sad. Neither did Donadope and neither does Levy.

Then again, it could be the personnel office that was in place for both administrations. ...

The thread was about, reading the article about Wendling, and liking the guy, or not. I like players like this on my team. Don't you?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                            • Jul 2005

You focused on my first line, and skirted the rest of my post. I am all about drafting for our need positions in the high rounds. My point above was that BPA is an appropriate strategy for the later rounds, when the quality of talent is thin. On Day 2, it's a crapshoot. It's dumb to take the best remaining DT (for example) just because you need a DT, when every DT with talent is long gone. We already have enough scrub DTs, why draft another.

Moreover, you're analyzing Wendling as if his only value will be on special teams, and in that regard, only to replace an existing special teamer. I think that's unnecessarily pessimistic. As an initial matter, isn't it possible that he's an upgrade on special teams? Or that we're tired of carrying Sam Aiken as a 5th string WR who will never see the field on offense and only ever contribute on ST, when we can get a guy who might give us similar or better production and be a 2nd stringer with a chance to see the field at safety also?

In that regard, I think BPA in the late rounds IS "the approach that yields the greatest marginal rate of return/performance."

Do you not see value in having at least one quality backup at the safety position? Also, if Wendling turns into a starting caliber player at a position where we already have two starting caliber players, it's not necessarily a waste of a pick just because we have other needs, especially if there was no one else in the 6th round that we were confident could turn into a starting caliber player at a need position. If nothing else, in this day of free agency thats a good way to ensure that you don't have to overpay to keep your FAs around. Build through the draft so you already have capable replacements in the system when Nate Clements (or Donte Whitner?) starts demanding a ridiculous new contract that you won't pay him.

Am I willing to stake my reputation on Wendling being a high quality special teamer? Nope, I've never seen him play a down. But he had a very successful collegiate career, looks to be a highly motivated, smart, "high football character" type of guy. At this point, prior to his very first training camp even starting, I'm willing to give both him and the FO the benefit of the doubt that he can make this team better.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                              • Jul 2005

Darius would be a good signing for $1M a season. He's not even guaranteed to make it through an entire season even as a backup. The man's 32.

He'd be a nothing signing. We're going nowhere. Just as with Vincent, by the time that some are foolishly hoping that Levy's "plan" actually comes together, Darius will be using a walker.
                              I'm not really in disagreement on Darius. While I would welcome some experience in the secondary, I don't see where it would really get us, unless the plan is to make Whitner a CB and have Darius just fill the SS spot until Wendling can handle it. But that's purely speculation on my part. I would not be excited about him if he was brought in to start at safety over Simpson, cause I'd like to think that Simpson's got a bright future for us and that would seem like a pretty obvious setback.

Comment

Working...
                              X