PDA

View Full Version : Win-now teams to jump on mediocre free-agent crop

carybillsfan
07-01-2007, 08:11 AM
This a good article on how teams are going to over pay :

I'm not sure who coined the term "silly season" to describe the NHL free agency period, but I sure like it. How else to explain teams lining up to hand over enough cash to choke a mammoth to a player like Daniel Briere, who was such a gamebreaker a couple years ago that he was placed on waivers? Or a defenseman like Sheldon Souray, who can be handy in the offensive zone but has just a passing acquaintance with his own goalie?

Despite all the buzz, this year's crop of unrestricted free agents is a middling lot at best, headlined by Briere, Chris Drury, Ryan Smyth and Scott Gomez. Good players all, but hardly standard bearers. And while there are sure to be several eye-popping deals handed out, the truly smart money will lay off until next season, when legitimate superstars like Joe Thornton, Dany Heatley, Jarome Iginla and Marian Hossa could be in play.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/allan_muir/06/30/free.agency/index.html

Sorry I like Drury and Danny but the are not game changing superstars.

Nighthawk
07-01-2007, 08:38 AM
It doesn't matter...this team is worse without them. Get used to losing again.

lightningbolt444
07-01-2007, 09:35 AM
why there was a stretch where both drury, briere and max were all hurt and we still won a good amount of our games these two players when you weigh out money vs. performance are not worth keeping. Time to move on and watch are real superstars develop stafford and vanak, miller. Those players will all improve most likely. Now drury and briere are at the peak of their career. I would love to keep them but not for the money they both want escpecially after they both we both want to be here well its almost time and niether one is here. We will still win a ton of games next year not to mention they will sign someone and if i had to guess this team will fair better in the playoffs if they go more defensive like they say they are going to do. We have Max, Vanak, Stafford that can score 30+ goals we have Connely that if healthy takes the role of drury as far as leadership what we dont have and havent ha d in either of the last two years is a STRONG defensive presence we know this team can score but they need to get more defensive to win it all. It worked for anaheim