PDA

View Full Version : This actually bother me more than the way the negotiations were handled

Dr. Lecter
07-01-2007, 09:26 AM
(AP/WGRZ-TV) Sabres executive Larry Quinn had one last piece of advice to offer as the team's co-captains, Chris Drury and Daniel Briere, gathered in Los Angeles to prepare for the start of NHL free agency.

The Sabres managing partner said landing the most lucrative contract does not necessarily guarantee anyone playing for a winner.

It's a philosophy the Sabres are sticking to, unwilling to upset their payroll structure with top-heavy salaries. And it's a key reason the team that won a league-leading and franchise-record 53 games last season finds itself bracing to lose its two top leaders once free agency opens today.
http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=49254&GID=C1kwrX3hTDZ3aEZXFyJfqbN7E5Ro6LBmwrtlpggNxsU%3D

I agree with the 3rd paragraph, but the Sabres and Drury have been good about not doing this in the public (Briere and his agent have not).

Keep things private and go forward.

mchurchfie
07-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Quinn is an don't avoid the filter. Thanks.

Ebenezer
07-01-2007, 10:22 AM
(AP/WGRZ-TV) Sabres executive Larry Quinn had one last piece of advice to offer as the team's co-captains, Chris Drury and Daniel Briere, gathered in Los Angeles to prepare for the start of NHL free agency.

The Sabres managing partner said landing the most lucrative contract does not necessarily guarantee anyone playing for a winner.

not resigning veteran players who are the heart of your team and serve as example to the rest of the league how you handle your leaders is another way to not necessarily guarantee fielding a winner.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Sour grapes?

Michael82
07-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Quinn is an don't avoid the filter. Thanks.
good point! Quinn couldn't know what kind of good decisions to do, if his life depended on it. Don't forget that he was the idiot who shoved the slug down our throats. Just imagine if he tried to give that to us now. I bet the fans would revolt!

ddaryl
07-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Any teams that signs the expensive free agents are going to have to make adjustments to their rosters to acomodate. There will be a domino effect. It will be interesting to see how the teams who go with the spendy players fair next season.

Ebenezer
07-01-2007, 11:00 AM
good point! Quinn couldn't know what kind of good decisions to do, if his life depended on it. Don't forget that he was the idiot who shoved the slug down our throats. Just imagine if he tried to give that to us now. I bet the fans would revolt!
Mikey...it all goes back to TG or they would be fired.

mchurchfie
07-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Quinn is an Screw the filter:nana::D:. Thanks.

Michael82
07-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Mikey...it all goes back to TG or they would be fired.
not if TG is only using the team as a cash maker on the side. I personally think it's like the old Ralph/TD thing. Golisano has no clue whats going on with the Sabres. Larry Quinn and Darcy Regier are the ones controlling it all. They are the President of the team.

Hence the reason why nothing was even touched with these guys until after Regier was locked up for a couple more years.

Dr. Lecter
07-01-2007, 11:12 AM

Get over the jersey and logo. Fans revolted and pouted like children last year too.

Are you giving up your mini-pack (I assume)?

Michael82
07-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Get over the jersey and logo. Fans revolted and pouted like children last year too.

Are you giving up your mini-pack (I assume)?
i already paid for my mini-pack. A few weeks ago, they sent me a letter asking me what i wanted to do with my extra money. I asked for half back and the rest to go towards minis.

YardRat
07-01-2007, 11:17 AM
The issue is they can afford at least one, even given the current market conditions. I'm hoping this strategy is nothing more than saying goodbye to Briere coupled with a back room agreement with Drury that he can see what his market value is, and the Sabres are ready and willing to match it to keep him here.

Ebenezer
07-01-2007, 11:19 AM
not if TG is only using the team as a cash maker on the side. I personally think it's like the old Ralph/TD thing. Golisano has no clue whats going on with the Sabres. Larry Quinn and Darcy Regier are the ones controlling it all. They are the President of the team.

Hence the reason why nothing was even touched with these guys until after Regier was locked up for a couple more years.
if you believe that you are mistake. RW made his money off his father's money. TG is a self-made billionaire. You don't get that by being unaware of what is going on with your company.

Dr. Lecter
07-01-2007, 11:24 AM
So TD has no responsibility for whatyou are calling the problems of this team?

Michael82
07-01-2007, 11:26 AM
So TD has no responsibility for whatyou are calling the problems of this team?
no, he has some responsibility. But I don't believe he is exerting much control. I think that Quinn is the one who handles the money and makes the decisions, along with Regier. Golisano is just the one who pays for it out of his pocket.

Dr. Lecter
07-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Then isn't he at fault for not telling the guys to do what the fans want?

Or maybe the fans do know all.

The qeustion still remains: How many 5 million + guys should one team have on its roster?

Michael82
07-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Then isn't he at fault for not telling the guys to do what the fans want?

Or maybe the fans do know all.

The qeustion still remains: How many 5 million + guys should one team have on its roster?
with the way the salary cap is going to keep going up...at least 1, maybe 2 or 3. :up:

Dr. Lecter
07-01-2007, 11:35 AM
with the way the salary cap is going to keep going up...at least 1, maybe 2 or 3. :up:

Except you don't it is going up like it has.

And they will have one with Vanek and next year Miller will join him.

So there is two.