Fill in the Blank: The year is _____. Buffalo is a Sports desert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Fill in the Blank: The year is _____. Buffalo is a Sports desert!

Ralph Wilson has died, the Bills have been sold and moved.

After the loss of captains Daniel Briere and Chris Drury the Sabres are mired in medocrity occasionally scraping by to a 7th or 8th place finish and a first round loss in the playoffs.

The Bandits no longer have John Taveras and can't make the lacross playoffs.

The local college teams suck (as they always have) except for UB and Niagara basketball which occasionally sneak into their conference semi-finals.

The Bisons play in front of an unannounced attendance of about 2000 fans.

Nobody pays attention to local high school sports except for the parents of atheletes.

Welcome to Buffalo...home of the sports desert.

Fill in the blank:
    The year is ______.

It could be as early as 2010.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Fill in the Blank: The year is _____.

Oh don't forget that the people start flooding out of Buffalo and Western NY. I really believe that if/when the Bills leave town....so do many of the people who have been staying here. As hard as it is to believe, that team keeps a lot of people here. I'm going to guess 2011 and that's because that is the year after the estate tax is eliminated. It will be one year too late.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Sad...

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

I do see college and high school sports getting bigger in WNY though.

Not professional teams though.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• bflojohn
          • Aug 2005

devastating!

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

Re: Fill in the Blank: The year is _____. Buffalo is a Sports desert!

Watch out Ice, we're moving to Tulsa.

Comment

• Novacane
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
              Oh don't forget that the people start flooding out of Buffalo and Western NY. :

That started long ago.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                short bus extraordinaire
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                Watch out Ice, we're moving to Tulsa.

Originally posted by yordad
                Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                  Roways rooking ahread!
                  • Sep 2005

2159, earth runs out of freshwater & is really a desert.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

So your Pro Curling team will have the WNY market cornered by 2011 ?
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                      So your Pro Curling team will have the WNY market cornered by 2011 ?
                      Sorry, I still fit in the amateur ranks.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                        • Apr 2005

Depressing. Not to mention Syracuse football slipping into the toilet and the Amerks possibly moving out. Not a good time to be an western NY sports fan.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• BillyT92679
                            • Jul 2002

I think the Bills leaving won't happen for several years, if at all. But, I can see the Sabres slipping farther down the rabbit hole as the NHL still looks incapable of righting itself.

The heyday of Upstate NY sports was the late 1980's through 2003. Bills and Sabres reaching the finals, SU making several BCS bowls in football, and three NCAA final appearances (and one title) in hoops... even the population of upstate was stable or slightly increasing. But, now it's a period of incredible aridness not seen since the late 1970's, when the Bills stank, the Braves left, SU was playing in a decrepit old football stadium (though they were winning hoops games in their bandbox at Manley), and factories were closing at a record clip.
                            Let's Go BILLS and SU ORANGE![IMhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1G]

Comment

• Generalissimus Gibby
                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                              Ralph Wilson has died, the Bills have been sold and moved.

After the loss of captains Daniel Briere and Chris Drury the Sabres are mired in medocrity occasionally scraping by to a 7th or 8th place finish and a first round loss in the playoffs.

The Bandits no longer have John Taveras and can't make the lacross playoffs.

The local college teams suck (as they always have) except for UB and Niagara basketball which occasionally sneak into their conference semi-finals.

The Bisons play in front of an unannounced attendance of about 2000 fans.

Nobody pays attention to local high school sports except for the parents of atheletes.

Welcome to Buffalo...home of the sports desert.

Fill in the blank:
                              The year is ______.

It could be as early as 2010.
                              The year, in the alternate timeline where Iraq won Gulf War I, Saddam is still in power, and the Kremlin has won the Cold War and the Bills are in Los Angeles and the Sabres are in Kansas City and Satan is God and God is Satan, is 2011. In our timeline, reality, this stuff does not happen and at worse the Bills play two non conference games a year, one preseason and one regular season in the Skydome until local ownership comes through and proves this **** will not be allowed.

Comment

Working...
                              X