PDA

View Full Version : Other GM's: Briere is worth $5M

Mitchy moo
07-02-2007, 12:59 AM
For the record, Briere couldn't lead a virgin to her 1st cherry pop much less a hockey team. He has had 2 good seasons and is a guy in the right place at the right time. His supporting cast was a huge factor and now he and Marty can talk frenchie f@g stuff together all day.
______________________________________________________________________________________

"Nuts," one agent said of the term. "That's why the CBA is so good for top-end players."

"I don't know where people are coming up with those numbers," added one GM, talking in terms of both the average cap hit of the Briere deal ($6.5 million) and the length of the deal.

Although this GM said he thought Briere was worth closer to $5 million a year, he acknowledged that with the number of teams believed to be interested in the slick center reaching double digits, it was the security the Flyers offered that was the deciding factor.

"Under the cap system you have to be a little bit creative," Briere's agent, Pat Brisson, told ESPN.com on Sunday night.

For instance, Briere nearly signed a seven-year deal with the Flyers, but they wanted to spread the cap hit over an extra year.

"It worked out. They're getting a great player," Brisson said.

Not surprisingly, there was a domino effect after the Briere deal.

Within a matter of hours, the Rangers shocked the hockey world by inking the two remaining members of "the big three" centers available on the market -- Scott Gomez (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?playerId=312) and Chris Drury (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?playerId=231).
Gomez signed a seven-year deal worth $51.5 million, and Drury, perhaps the most complete player of the three, signed on with the Blueshirts for five years at a little more than $7 million per season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=2922910

SkateZilla
07-02-2007, 01:05 AM
funny, He sucked in pheonix, and just downright assulted people in buffalo?, Difference?, Style of play,

Philly's style of play is pretty much the same as pheonix.

Mitchy moo
07-02-2007, 01:08 AM
funny, He sucked in pheonix, and just downright assulted people in buffalo?, Difference?, Style of play,

Philly's style of play is pretty much the same as pheonix.

He is so screwed & will not see more than 6 months without a major injury, softy.

Crisis
07-02-2007, 05:09 AM
lol.

I was never the biggest Briere fan but I love the complete 180 done on him.

He's been durable his whole career except for one injury too.

mchurchfie
07-02-2007, 06:33 AM
Why are guys trashing Briere?? I would still love to have him on our team. It wasn't his fault. Hell he was willing to take less money if they would have given him an extension 6 montha ago. This is all Regier and Co's screwup, believe that.

Typ0
07-02-2007, 08:28 AM
they could have signed DB at $5 for five years last season...that would have been an ideal contract if you ask me because he would have already played a year.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Why are guys trashing Briere?? I would still love to have him on our team. It wasn't his fault. Hell he was willing to take less money if they would have given him an extension 6 montha ago. This is all Regier and Co's screwup, believe that.

I have not liked Briere since he opened his mouth last year about this organization and their commitment to winning and to keep the team together. Today, I hate him. I think I might hate him more than any player in this league. Not only because I had little respect for him before, but now that he is on the Philadelphia Flyers, it just multiplied my feelings on him. I hate that team and I hate anyone associated with it. Screw DB, I hope he falls flat on his face there.

patmoran2006
07-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Give it 2 days..

Drury will be overated too, and borderline on sucking.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Give it 2 days..

Drury will be overated too, and borderline on sucking.

It doesn't make me feel any better that Drury signed with the NY Rangers, but he wasn't overrated, he will be missed by a lot of folks around here, mostly the professional hockey team.

mchurchfie
07-02-2007, 10:41 AM
I have not liked Briere since he opened his mouth last year about this organization and their commitment to winning and to keep the team together.
Well, you say he was wrong in his assessment now, can you??

patmoran2006
07-02-2007, 10:44 AM
even if Briere was only worth $5 million per year. We'd still have him if we didnt F up last year.

And the "monster" contract McKee got last year with St. Louis would look like a bargain to us.

For someone with such knowledge at trading at talent, Regier is CLUELESS when it comes to market value projections.