PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Good Semi-Positive Article on the State of the Sabres

BlackMetalNinja
07-02-2007, 09:07 AM
This guy is expressing my viewpoing perhaps better than I have around here so far. I know most of you will crap all over this because that's all you want to do at this point, but it's not all negative...

http://www.wgr550.com/column.php?id=0493

patmoran2006
07-02-2007, 09:56 AM
First let me say that I know Nick Mendola and I have a lot of respect for him... He's a good writer, a good radio guy and a pretty even keel person.

I take into consideration his points especially about Briere. While I do think Briere is wrongly getting trashed on these boards (REgier is the one who deserves it)-- I dont think he's worth the money Philly gave him. In those regards- he was at the right place in the right time... philly may live to regret this move.

However, anyway you want to spin it-- it was Darcy Regiers fault Briere is no longer a Sabre. Maybe he's not a Top 10 player in this league, but he sure as hell was one of the best 2-3 on this team.

Briere didnt NEED to collect $6.5 per year. It didnt NEED to come down to it. Regier is a flat-out idiot with his "we dont negotiate during the last year of a deal" philosophy. The man (Briere) OFFERED us a 5 year/25 million deal last year and we were bumbling idiots to not accept it. I heard Skoob's ridiculous thread where a GM said he's only worth $5 million per year.. Well guess what!! WE could've had that.

As for Drury, its gets a little tiresome in Buffalo hearing about "down the line" ramifcations. Once, it would be nice to see one of our two major teams just GEAR UP and go for a championship THAT year. Im sick of merely just trying to stay somewhat competitive long term.. GO for a championship with the vets now and if your a good GM you'll have good young talent ready to play when the time comes.

Mendola writes:
'Drury's worth $7 million per year to be sure, but were you prepared to have a 36 year old center making that much down the line? I don't think Briere quite fits into the $6.25 range, and at age 37 he most certainly won't be a nice cap hit, especially with a no movement clause — though admittedly $6.25 could amount to a hill of beans by then."

Worry about Drury being a 36 year old center when he's 36. IF we win 1-2 championships during that span, I think ANYONE in WNY would jump on that. He's easily the most proven player on this team and won of the well known winners in the league. And you just let him ****ing walk because he'll be 36 in 7 years?? Even Mendola said $6.25 million will be peanuts in 7 years. On top of that, Drury is a top notch player because of his instincts and intelligence, guys like him and Shannahan are effective until a late age for a good reason.

When a player EARNS a big contract, he deserves to get paid.. Buffalo is rapidly just becoming just a bus stop en route to an athlete's long career and big payday.

I'm sick of it. Darcy Regier sucks and as Bucky Gleason suggested in the news today; deserves to be fired. I hope every fan that can manage to put down the Kool Aid for a minute realizes the organization just slapped you directly in the face.

clumping platelets
07-02-2007, 10:00 AM
:bf1:

don137
07-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Darcy is awesome at talent evaluation and makes great trades but is awful on contract negotiations and the timing of them. He does not need to be fired but he needs to change his philosophy to the era of toda's NHL.

patmoran2006
07-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Darcy is awesome at talent evaluation and makes great trades but is awful on contract negotiations and the timing of them. He does not need to be fired but he needs to change his philosophy to the era of toda's NHL.
I do agree. He makes good trades and is good at plucking talent, that can't be denied.

But the contract negotiations and timing is everything. Otherwise, all those trades and talent that he brings in serve little more as the player going through Buffalo like a minor league destination before hitting the majors.

carybillsfan
07-02-2007, 10:06 AM
I found nothing positive about that article at all. It states what the sabres should do. NOT WHAT THEY WILL DO. Darcy, Larry and Tom will continue to pedal low ball offers, not renegioiate while a player is under contract, while they should. This article shows what most teams do, and what the Sabres organization doesn't.

ddaryl
07-02-2007, 11:15 AM
if people are upset about the state of the Sabres and Reiger then there is only one thing to do.... BOYCOTT THEM !!!!

Why should they listen to the fans when they're selling plenty of tickets and merchandise.