• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Scott Bernsetin from ESPN

Was on WGR this morning with Nick Mendola.

HE had a lot of politcally correct comments. Basically criticized the Sabres without being overly critical.

But the one thing that stuck out that I cant get out of my head-- is he talked about the direction the Sabres seem to be going and the way the Breier/Drury thing was handled may affect in the future the way Free agents perceive this team and if they'd want to come play here.

If its not on the WGR vault yet, Im sure it will be sometime today.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

Re: Scott Bernsetin from ESPN

Originally posted by patmoran2006
    Was on WGR this morning with Nick Mendola.

HE had a lot of politcally correct comments. Basically criticized the Sabres without being overly critical.

But the one thing that stuck out that I cant get out of my head-- is he talked about the direction the Sabres seem to be going and the way the Breier/Drury thing was handled may affect in the future the way Free agents perceive this team and if they'd want to come play here.

If its not on the WGR vault yet, Im sure it will be sometime today.
    I think we all knew that. We might not want to admit it because we always like to think that our sports teams are great, but it is starting to show from the last couple of years that there can't be much respect for this organization when viewed by free agents. It definitely doesn't look good for the future.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Perception is VERY important and that's why the past 2 offseasons have been

Comment

• carybillsfan
        • Aug 2003

Why would any player/free agent want to sign or be traded to the Sabres? They have shown time and time again, not just this offseason, that they will not negotiate with players under contract. They do not go out of their way to show the players they are wanted. And ultimately it is the fans who suffer, because as it stands right now the Sabres are set to make a boatload of money this upcoming season, even if they don't make the playoffs.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
          I think we all knew that. We might not want to admit it because we always like to think that our sports teams are great, but it is starting to show from the last couple of years that there can't be much respect for this organization when viewed by free agents. It definitely doesn't look good for the future.
          Here's what I dont get, and maybe I never will.

But we sell out the season.. We reach the conference finals (again) which gave us I think 7 more home games. Thats 48 home games, all sold out. I know we killed in merchandising (dont know how much of that we get, I think its divided evenly). We reported a profit. The cap goes up a couple of million, making roster management easier with Briere, Drury or both back.

how do you let them both go? Does our front offices that UNDERVALUE what the fans think? And even if the fans aren't as "smart" as these suits-- how can that NOT send a horrible message to players around the league?

In my WORST case scenario- I thought we may lose both these guys but come back with better "fits" like a Nylander or a Ryan Smyth. We've done NOTHING.

At this point, ZUbrus is about the best FA on the market left.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
            • May 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
            Here's what I dont get, and maybe I never will.

But we sell out the season.. We reach the conference finals (again) which gave us I think 7 more home games. Thats 48 home games, all sold out. I know we killed in merchandising (dont know how much of that we get, I think its divided evenly). We reported a profit. The cap goes up a couple of million, making roster management easier with Briere, Drury or both back.

how do you let them both go? Does our front offices that UNDERVALUE what the fans think? And even if the fans aren't as "smart" as these suits-- how can that NOT send a horrible message to players around the league?

In my WORST case scenario- I thought we may lose both these guys but come back with better "fits" like a Nylander or a Ryan Smyth. We've done NOTHING.

At this point, ZUbrus is about the best FA on the market left.
            I could be way off here, but the way I am seeing this is they really didn't want to pay that much for Briere (or any player) and hoped that he would take what they gave him. I just don't know why, but something tells me that Chris Drury just didn't want to be here. I know he would never come out and say anything, but I just don't think he wanted to stay here.

Comment

Working...
            X