Was it just "lightning in a bottle"; were the Sabres never committed to winning??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Was it just "lightning in a bottle"; were the Sabres never committed to winning??

Bear with me....

What if the Sabres were never really committed to winning? What if coming out of the lockout they just happen to hit it lucky and the NHL for a short time played the way the Sabres were built? After one successful run they decided to give it one more kick at the can and regardless the outcome they were going to bust the team up?

Somehow, I think that was always the plan. The last two seasons fell into their lap. They never had intent to continue winning this way.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • G Wolly
    • Mar 2004

Re: Was it just "lightning in a bottle"; were the Sabres never committed to winning??

Well they sure didn't work for it in the Ottawa series until they had to, and even then it wasn't enough.

Comment

• Bufftp
      Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

Re: Was it just "lightning in a bottle"; were the Sabres never committed to winning??

Originally posted by Ebenezer
      Bear with me....

What if the Sabres were never really committed to winning? What if coming out of the lockout they just happen to hit it lucky and the NHL for a short time played the way the Sabres were built? After one successful run they decided to give it one more kick at the can and regardless the outcome they were going to bust the team up?

Somehow, I think that was always the plan. The last two seasons fell into their lap. They never had intent to continue winning this way.
      Do I change your title to King of Positive outlook?
      Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
      "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
      Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
      - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
      to be led by permanent ideals -
      that is what keeps a man patient
      when the world ignores him,
      and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bufftp
        Do I change your title to King of Positive outlook?
        Calling it as I see it...had the NHL come out of the lockout looking like the "old" NHL (stylewise and big cities being able to spend big money - like now) then the Sabres might not have even made the playoffs the last two years...yes, I am saying that they may have gotten nothing but lucky for two years.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

The last thing Darcy said today was "the goal was to stay competitive."

In other words, budget for mediocrity today so they can be mediocre in the future.

This is Charlie Brown management. They have no ambition other than to not completely suck. One or two playoff rounds to get the books into the black, and that's it. Leave the championships for teams that are committed to doing what it takes and have the spine for it.
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Working...
          X