PDA

View Full Version : So who is the next Sabre that plays for this team for more than 7 years?

Ebenezer
07-02-2007, 03:13 PM
With the exception of Max and Tallinder (and maybe Mair) who are already on the team, who is the next Sabre to play here for 7 or more years? I doubt there will be one unless the management changes their philosophy. I don't see them signing too many players who are older than 26. I don't see them signing players to long term contracts. I don't see them attracting/trading for quality free agents/players. I don't see players busting down a door to come play for this team. When DB and CD (not to mention Grier and McKee) get done talking to other players behind closed doors nobody will want to play here and those drafted by the Sabres will bolt ASAP....all unless this team changes the way it handles contracts - in which DR has now cornered himself- which if they do in midstream will prove to everybody that DR and Co. were wrong (something we all knew anyway).

Get used to being a glorified farm club unless these change pronto.

G Wolly
07-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Miller, Stafford

THATHURMANATOR
07-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Roy, Campbell, Pomminville

SabreEleven
07-02-2007, 03:36 PM
No, those guys will sign 2 or 3 years deal, become pretty good players, maybe even superstars, and then go get payed elsewhere.

Ebenezer
07-02-2007, 03:38 PM
No, those guys will sign 2 or 3 years deal, become pretty good players, maybe even superstars, and then go get payed elsewhere.
:goodpost:

THATHURMANATOR
07-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Sure they will.

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2007, 03:40 PM
I really think they are planning on signing Vanek to a longterm deal.

THATHURMANATOR
07-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Yes Vanek as well!

Ebenezer
07-02-2007, 03:51 PM
If they don't then you can bet the fans will stay home...

chernobylwraiths
07-02-2007, 04:30 PM

I still remember when they signed Campbell last year to a "multi" year deal. They don't like long deals.

patmoran2006
07-02-2007, 05:11 PM
If you are Vanek do you WANT to sign a long term deal?

If Im Vanek right now, I see what went down yesterday and I hear today's press conference.

I dont accept Buffalo's qualifying offer. I go to arbitration, get what I can get, accept it, dont sign a long term deal with Buffalo, play this season out and go get myself $8 million per year in next year's free agency.

There is ZERO chance he signs a long term deal with Buffalo this summer for only $4 or so million per year after seeing what these older guys are getting.

YardRat
07-02-2007, 06:26 PM
I have to agree with pat on this one...Vanek (AND Miller, Stafford, etc) would be fools to sign long-term deals. The only hope the team has right now is to try to convince all the youngsters that they ARE important to the team's future, and that they can win as a young unit.

If the team continues to be successful, it may work out for the next 5 to seven years...If they begin a new trend of losing or continually getting bumped in the early rounds of the playoffs, guys are going to bolt like lemmings looking for the sea.

Nighthawk
07-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Honestly, I think it could be different from here on out...or at least I hope so. I heard Darcy Dim Wit and Quinn state that they will begin negotiating contracts prior to them expiring. Maybe, just maybe, this guys will get a clue and smarten up, but who knows.

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2007, 07:17 PM
I would agree with Pat excpet Vanek can't go to arbitration so his facts are incorrect.

He can't be an UFA next season.

So he is wrong on the basis.

PUCKER
07-03-2007, 01:52 AM
I hope Miller! Also Vanek and Campbell.

Ebenezer
07-03-2007, 02:48 AM
I would agree with Pat excpet Vanek can't go to arbitration so his facts are incorrect.

He can't be an UFA next season.

So he is wrong on the basis.
Vanek can sign the shortest contract possible that makes him a UFA.

clumping platelets
07-03-2007, 02:54 AM
:goodpost:

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Vanek can sign the shortest contract possible that makes him a UFA.

Absolutely he can.

That is much different than what was said though.