PDA

View Full Version : Repeat after me!

kgun12
07-02-2007, 03:25 PM
It is quite obvious that Drury did not want to be here. The funny part is that it was the fans that pretty much drove him out of Buffalo. He didn't want to be the man on the ice, at the press conferences, at the store, the restaurant, he just wanted to play hockey. Sullivan was on GR this morning and said that Drury will be able to do anything he wants in NYC without all the fans getting in his business! Hell most won't even know who he is! There was NOTHING that the front office could do to kept him here.

SO repeat after me:

DRURY DID NOT WANT TO BE HERE!!!

As far as Briere, who cares, wanted way to much money and takes way to many bad penalties at the wrong times. CAPTAINS AND LEADERS DON'T MAKE STUPID DECISIONS! Briere made them all the time, with his cheap and dirty penalities! So like last yea with Jay Mckee going to the worst team, I say BYE BYE DANNY, enjoy the cold damp basement!

SabreEleven
07-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Would you want to be in a place where the front office doesn't give a **** about you and other players?

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Even if all of that is true, and I don't disagree, they should have had Plan B ready and gone after a guy like Smyth.

THATHURMANATOR
07-02-2007, 03:34 PM
To me it really sounds like they can't believe Drury left.

G Wolly
07-02-2007, 03:35 PM
I can believe Drury left, He grew up watching the Rangers at MSG and many athletes would love to play for the team they grew up watching. I wish him the best in New York.

kgun12
07-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Would you want to be in a place where the front office doesn't give a **** about you and other players?

What part of Drury not wanting to be the main guy. Sullivan said they had to make him do press conferences, he didn't like getting gas and being molested by rabid Sabre fans, he was tried of being the guy, he just wants to play hockey. In NYC he can do that, they won't know him from a tourist and that's what he wanted!!! It had nothing to do with the FO not giving a ****!

OpIv37
If Drury didn't want to be here, the FO is to blame for creating that situation. I don't know why some of you seem to think it's okay for top players to NOT want to be here. It's the FO's job to ATTRACT talent, not repel it.

Ebenezer
To me it really sounds like they can't believe Drury left.
i think they got caught up in their own "success"...they are now going to find out that players will NOT want to come here...they have set themselves up to fail big time.

Ebenezer
07-02-2007, 03:42 PM
What part of Drury not wanting to be the main guy. Sullivan said they had to make him do press conferences, he didn't like getting gas and being molested by rabid Sabre fans, he was tried of being the guy, he just wants to play hockey. In NYC he can do that, they won't know him from a tourist and that's what he wanted!!! It had nothing to do with the FO not giving a ****!
they may all have been true but Grier is the key to this whole thing...he started last year talking about committment and the lack thereof by the Sabres...Drury is a win at all cost type of player and he did not, as we all don't, see that committment from the Sabres. The die was cast the day Grier signed with SJ.

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2007, 03:43 PM
If Drury didn't want to be here, the FO is to blame for creating that situation. I don't know why some of you seem to think it's okay for top players to NOT want to be here. It's the FO's job to ATTRACT talent, not repel it.

I'll agree, but only partially. If he wanted to play for his home team, it is not the FO's fault.

kgun12
07-02-2007, 03:44 PM

That is the funniest post of the year!!! How many top guys can this team pay.

If you look at it, it was the fans that drove him out of here! The guy couldn't do anything without being bothered by the fans!

Philagape
07-02-2007, 03:44 PM
It is quite obvious that Drury did not want to be here. The funny part is that it was the fans that pretty much drove him out of Buffalo. He didn't want to be the man on the ice, at the press conferences, at the store, the restaurant, he just wanted to play hockey. Sullivan was on GR this morning and said that Drury will be able to do anything he wants in NYC without all the fans getting in his business! Hell most won't even know who he is! There was NOTHING that the front office could do to kept him here.

SO repeat after me:

As far as Briere, who cares, wanted way to much money and takes way to many bad penalties at the wrong times. CAPTAINS AND LEADERS DON'T MAKE STUPID DECISIONS! Briere made them all the time, with his cheap and dirty penalities! So like last yea with Jay Mckee going to the worst team, I say BYE BYE DANNY, enjoy the cold damp basement!

You are so full of crap. You are just making up homer crap.

1. Drury doesn't want to play for a team that shows no loyalty to its top players. They could have EASILY kept him if they treated their players better and didn't wait until the last minute.
2. Briere wanted $5 MILLION a year ago. And you're trashing him now only because he's no longer here.

You are so full of crap.

OpIv37
07-02-2007, 03:46 PM
That is the funniest post of the year!!! How many top guys can this team pay.

If you look at it, it was the fans that drove him out of here! The guy couldn't do anything without being bothered by the fans!

do you have a source or any evidence to support that?

I don't see what's so funny about my post. I never said the FO had to grab every top FA, but they do have to create an environment where the best players will want to come. I understand they can't pay all of them- they don't have to. But guys fleeing town because they don't want to play here- that's completely unacceptable. The FO has to treat players in a way that makes them feel welcome, or else no FA's are going to come here, ever.

kgun12
07-02-2007, 03:50 PM
they may all have been true but Grier is the key to this whole thing...he started last year talking about committment and the lack thereof by the Sabres...Drury is a win at all cost type of player and he did not, as we all don't, see that committment from the Sabres. The die was cast the day Grier signed with SJ.

I don't call that a win at all cost, I call that a spoiled brat pro athlete! If he wanted to win at all cost then he should be willing to play for less so we could keep the Grier's of the world. Besides Grier did not fit this team, he was slower than whale **** and if Chris couldn't see that then he was as blind as some of the fans!

Ebenezer
07-02-2007, 03:53 PM
I don't call that a win at all cost, I call that a spoiled brat pro athlete! If he wanted to win at all cost then he should be willing to play for less so we could keep the Grier's of the world. Besides Grier did not fit this team, he was slower than whale **** and if Chris couldn't see that then he was as blind as some of the fans!
I got to disagree...the team shows no committment to win long term...he does. And Grier may not have been fleet of foot but I will take his grit, the grit we were lacking against Ottawa, over Max and Kotalik any day.

kgun12
07-02-2007, 03:54 PM
do you have a source or any evidence to support that?

I don't see what's so funny about my post. I never said the FO had to grab every top FA, but they do have to create an environment where the best players will want to come. I understand they can't pay all of them- they don't have to. But guys fleeing town because they don't want to play here- that's completely unacceptable. The FO has to treat players in a way that makes them feel welcome, or else no FA's are going to come here, ever.

As far as source, Sullivan said it this morning on GR at about 7:30, I was driving home.

This non commitment crap is getting old. Briere and Drury had 4 years to take this team to the next level and DID NOT!!! So now it's time to go in a new direction!!! The league is slowly going back to the old style of cluch and grag and 2 under sized centers that could bring this city a cup under the faster NHL, won't help us now.

kgun12
07-02-2007, 04:00 PM
I got to disagree...the team shows no committment to win long term...he does. And Grier may not have been fleet of foot but I will take his grit, the grit we were lacking against Ottawa, over Max and Kotalik any day.

They had 4 years here to get this done and they didn't. The had the best record in the league and could sniff the finals, so why should we pay them more money, they didn't get it done so now we try it a different way!

I heard this from Bruce Smith every year, we need to bring in better players no commitment from the owner, and yes I want a pay rise!

You have to add Briere to that list! He was afraid of his own shadow and was a cheap shot artist with his stick!

OpIv37
07-02-2007, 04:01 PM
As far as source, Sullivan said it this morning on GR at about 7:30, I was driving home.

This non commitment crap is getting old. Briere and Drury had 4 years to take this team to the next level and DID NOT!!! So now it's time to go in a new direction!!! The league is slowly going back to the old style of cluch and grag and 2 under sized centers that could bring this city a cup under the faster NHL, won't help us now.

ok, so what's the new direction? All the top guys are gone and we signed NONE of them. That argument doesn't hold up either.

Ebenezer
07-02-2007, 04:02 PM
They had 4 years here to get this done and they didn't. The had the best record in the league and could sniff the finals, so why should we pay them more money, they didn't get it done so now we try it a different way!

I heard this from Bruce Smith every year, we need to bring in better players no commitment from the owner, and yes I want a pay rise!

You have to add Briere to that list! He was afraid of his own shadow and was a cheap shot artist with his stick!
nowhere have I mentioned that they had to sign DB...I could have cared less. They could have let him walk at the end of last year and kept McKee for less, not signed Spacek and kept Grier...that is committment to winning...that is what a player like CD looks for.

Ebenezer
07-02-2007, 04:04 PM
ok, so what's the new direction? All the top guys are gone and we signed NONE of them. That argument doesn't hold up either.
the new direction is "we will build from within. we will let our youth grow. we will harvest our talent that we got without a scouting department. we will show you how smart we are". Who does that sound like?

kgun12
07-02-2007, 04:16 PM

It's day f@*@ing 2 of FA you have no f###ing argument! :madmad:

chernobylwraiths
07-02-2007, 04:17 PM

SO repeat after me:

This is entirely speculation. I prefer Gleason's speculation which is based more in fact. Drury being a character and team guy saw how his teammates and fellow leaders have been treated by this organization through the years. Last year, he saw Jay McKee get a lowballed offer, a guy who gave his body to every play. He also saw his good friend Mike Grier leave because Grier saw all the guys who weren't even under contract yet AND Grier saw how shabby McKee was treated in negotiations. More recently, Chris saw how the FO treated his co-captain by not even contacting him for six weeks and then giving a weak offer at the last minute. Add to that how they treated Dumont before arbitration and you have a definite pattern. Sure Chris could have made his money, but at the cost of some of his self respect. I assume that Chris's self respect is worth a lot more to him than money.

kgun12
07-02-2007, 04:21 PM
nowhere have I mentioned that they had to sign DB...I could have cared less. They could have let him walk at the end of last year and kept McKee for less, not signed Spacek and kept Grier...that is committment to winning...that is what a player like CD looks for.

So even though they said at the press conference that Drury wanted to go to NY, your saying that all it would have taken to keep him here was not let Grier go last year? I'm not being argumentative, I'm asking a legit question, you really think that's why he left? McKee wanted the money and that's all he cared about or he wouldn't have gone to a last place team!

Philagape
07-02-2007, 04:27 PM
All this talk about what money other teams throw at our players would be moot if we wouldn't let it come to that. A sign of loyalty and commitment is giving your best players new deals LONG before you have to. The Sharks just did it with Thornton. That makes players feel wanted and appreciated and shows them the team is serious about keeping a good team together. That's what attracts other players, motivates current players to stay for less money (making it easier to keep the rest of the team together and keep winning), and makes the marketplace a non-issue.

OpIv37
07-02-2007, 05:42 PM
It's day f@*@ing 2 of FA you have no f###ing argument! :madmad:

um, all the guys who come close to Drury and Briere in talent are LONG ****ING GONE. So yeah, the fact that we let Drury and Briere walk and got NO ONE is a pretty damn good argument.

Earthquake Enyart
07-02-2007, 05:46 PM
$7 mil to be a second or third line center is a pretty good gig.

Nighthawk
07-02-2007, 06:11 PM

SO repeat after me:

You're are incorrect. He didn't want to be here because of the way the FO treated certain players. The FO has a lot of blame in this situation. Please don't believe everything that the organization feeds to you. Think for yourself.

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Did anybody hear Drury's press conference?

He said playing for the Rangers was a childhood dream and somehing he always wanted to do.

Don't assume everything the FO is saying is a lie either.

Philagape
07-02-2007, 07:22 PM

He said playing for the Rangers was a childhood dream and somehing he always wanted to do.

Of course he's going to say that. It's a nice press-conferency thing to say to your new team and new fans. In absolutely no way does it mean the Sabres had no chance to keep him if they treated their players differently.

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Or maybe he meant it.

Philagape
07-02-2007, 07:36 PM
I didn't say it wasn't true, I'm sure it is; I'm just saying that doesn't mean it's the reason he left the Sabres.

YardRat
07-02-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm very disappointed at the current administration at HSBC at the moment, and nothing less than a Stanley Cup is going to change my mind.

Until Regier and Quinn can claim a championship, money talks and bull**** walks.

OpIv37
07-02-2007, 09:09 PM

so we had no shot at Drury- fair enough. So why not offer Briere a big contract and low-ball Drury, or just not even bother with him? If we had offered Briere market value instead of trying to low-ball both on some pie-in-the sky dream of keeping both, Briere would still be a Sabre.

Nighthawk
07-02-2007, 09:13 PM
so we had no shot at Drury- fair enough. So why not offer Briere a big contract and low-ball Drury, or just not even bother with him? If we had offered Briere market value instead of trying to low-ball both on some pie-in-the sky dream of keeping both, Briere would still be a Sabre.

This is an excellent point! It seems that this organization has no "plan B" in place for when they failed to get Drury. That is a sign of a bad organization. Or it might be that they really are trying to fatten' their wallets some more. Not signing any players to this point who could help this team next year is a complete joke. I know they claim that they will try to trade for some help, but who do we have worth of value to trade??? We can't get rid of our entire team to get a defenseman and some veteran forwards...so what the hell is Plan B for this team??

kgun12
07-02-2007, 09:57 PM
You're are incorrect. He didn't want to be here because of the way the FO treated certain players. The FO has a lot of blame in this situation. Please don't believe everything that the organization feeds to you. Think for yourself.

I refer you to doc's post. He didn't want to be here!!! Like I told you last night relax there is and was nothing you or any one else was going to do to change his mind. BTW I am thinking for myself, you should start thinking!

Please don't bring in the facts Doc, people want to hate the FO and this doesn't help!!!

Of course he's going to say that. It's a nice press-conferency thing to say to your new team and new fans. In absolutely no way does it mean the Sabres had no chance to keep him if they treated their players differently.

I didn't say it wasn't true, I'm sure it is; I'm just saying that doesn't mean it's the reason he left the Sabres.

Just cause he said it, don't believe him the Sabre's could still have signed him. I agree if we gave him $10 million!

I am glad the little guy is gone. Captains don't take that many cheap and silly penalties and hockey players don't play as scared as he does!

kgun12
07-02-2007, 10:08 PM
This is an excellent point! It seems that this organization has no "plan B" in place for when they failed to get Drury. That is a sign of a bad organization. Or it might be that they really are trying to fatten' their wallets some more. Not signing any players to this point who could help this team next year is a complete joke. I know they claim that they will try to trade for some help, but who do we have worth of value to trade??? We can't get rid of our entire team to get a defenseman and some veteran forwards...so what the hell is Plan B for this team??

I will admit that I would have liked to have signed someone by now, but in response to the rest of this post...:spit:

Seriously read that, the way you make it sound like we have had the worst record in the league forever! Common man you are going to blow a gasket! Your making Patmoran said reasonable!

I will say that I love the passion and the pure love for the team, but we have no control over what they do man! If we did, we would have had a couple of cups here! Keep the faith!

kgun12
07-02-2007, 10:23 PM
All this talk about what money other teams throw at our players would be moot if we wouldn't let it come to that. A sign of loyalty and commitment is giving your best players new deals LONG before you have to. The Sharks just did it with Thornton. That makes players feel wanted and appreciated and shows them the team is serious about keeping a good team together. That's what attracts other players, motivates current players to stay for less money (making it easier to keep the rest of the team together and keep winning), and makes the marketplace a non-issue.

I forgot to sign the neg rep! Pat I mean Phil.

Philagape
07-02-2007, 10:39 PM
I forgot to sign the neg rep! Pat I mean Phil.

For that quote? Just shows you have no good answer.

kgun12
07-02-2007, 11:36 PM
For that quote? Just shows you have no good answer.

And to this situation either do you. Hell yes we should have done certain thing different, but they didn't. So I choose not to go off the deep end. See in my job, has trained me to kept a level head and not let **** I can't control bother me, or I would never been able to do this for almost 28 years! If we reacted to things they way some are here, there would be a disparate need for controllers and it wouldn't be filled! That's not to say I don't vent cause I do, but there is venting and then there is venting. WOW! Again I could see the drama and the name calling of the organization if we were the worst team in the league, but we aren't. The one thing I can't except is the name calling of posters that don't agree with you and you can't change there minds. This is school grade stuff, when all else fails call them names, that will show them. So as far as I am concern once the name calling starts I stop. Enjoy your misery!