PDA

View Full Version : Regier Interview with Schoop exceprts

patmoran2006
07-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Darcy Regier was on WGR this afternoon with Mike Schoop.. Some excerpts.

On If he could back and do it again what he would do differently.
The reference is its impossible to know, nobody had a crystal ball. NObody saw the cap being increased by six million dollars. Teams that didnt fare well last season and dont have the development system or drafted well, see the UFA market as the only way to correct their situation.

on if he resents what big spending teams that dont draft well are doing.
"I spoke with a GM about ahalf hour ago and he made the comment that we're being penalized. Teams that have drafted well are being penalized under the current system. The players are becoming UFA at a much earlier age. use to be 31.. Now its 25, 26, and 27.

As much as we suffer a loss with Drury or Briere, the insight you gain from it is we still have time to keep this team together and we'll do everythign we can.

The market was on the uprsise. We couldnt have spoken to briere prior to arbitration, once it came down were locked until January 1. By then it was already on the uprise. It wasnt anywhere close to where it ended up but it was certainly on the rise. The other part is that you never have the benefit of hindsight. IN Danny's case, Im not sure it makes a significant difference. I think that one of the things that big markets clubs have recognized in this new system is that while the amount is limited to 20% the length and the term is unlimited. It doesnt mean we won't be competitive. I expect to be very competitive. We have a good team coming back.

On what point does it become the responsibility of the management to recongnize the salary cap is going up?
We had an indication it would be in the upper end. Its still first and foremost a business for the benefit of our fans for the long term. In this case, the focus shifts to the group of players we have currently. The movement of the players is part of the system. WE're focused on group of players we currently have.

On Drury making a personal choice to leave the Sabres and if it surprised him?
He was very committed, he's such a professional. But there are a lot of things that come into the decision to stay with the club. Because you go to a team that you grew up around as a kid in the NY area doesnt mean that he dislikes the club he left. Theres a lot of reasons players change; money, because they want to go to different area of the country, becasue they want to go closer to home. What we do is look at our group of guys and say where is our core, and certainly we'd love to have Chris Drury back. We'd love to have Dan Briere back. But it just didnt work out that way. The focus goes on the Ryan Miller, Tom Vaneks, defensemen under long term contracts and we'll continue to try and keep them there. But ultimately the player has a lot to say about and they get to make decisions as well.

(I gotta pause here. way to skate around the question, Darcy)

On if he expects to be able to use UFA at all to help account for the loss of the two captains?

The available players was a very small group. No, I dont wanna mislead or get anyone hopes up. We're not replace at this time in UFA a Chris Drury or Danny Briere. But the acquisition of Drury and Briere wasnt through UFA either, we traded for them. We'll have to look to acquire the next ones, if we should be so lucky, through trades. YOu have to use different assets. If your expecatation is to satisfy the deficienies of your hockey club through UFA, it means your doing a lot of things wrong. Your not drafting and developing well. It (UFA) should be way down on our list of ways-outside of filing holes and getting a player here and there.

is the focus now on guys like vanek, roy, paille, paetsch and maybe Campbell who has one year left.?
Who know where it leads but certainly that is the focus.

On another goalie.
Conlin's still in the mix but we're looking at other players.
==================================================================
Summary: Not there's many left, but we're not going to sign any prominent FA's. And he continues to peddle around the Drury and committment questions.

Nighthawk
07-02-2007, 06:14 PM
The guy is an absolute tool.

Philagape
07-02-2007, 06:38 PM
"We'll have to look to acquire the next ones, if we should be so lucky, through trades. YOu have to use different assets. If your expecatation is to satisfy the deficienies of your hockey club through UFA, it means your doing a lot of things wrong. Your not drafting and developing well. It (UFA) should be way down on our list of ways-outside of filing holes and getting a player here and there."

This is just bizarre. Why badmouth UFAs and talk up trades??? What's the difference as far as bringing in veterans?

If anything, UFA should be preferable because 1. it doesn't cost you any players or picks and 2. it shows the player you acquire wants to be here. UFA is just as legitimate and useful tactic as any other to build a team.

It made me realize that on last year's roster, there were only two players, Numminen and Spacek, who chose to come here. The rest were either drafted or traded here.

Darcy is badmouthing UFA because he knows the abysmal reputation the Sabres have. Darcy likes trades because it forces players to come here. It's the only way we can get good veterans. That is incredibly self-delusional and takes spin to new depths. I am growing to despise that man.

Nighthawk
07-02-2007, 06:44 PM
"We'll have to look to acquire the next ones, if we should be so lucky, through trades. YOu have to use different assets. If your expecatation is to satisfy the deficienies of your hockey club through UFA, it means your doing a lot of things wrong. Your not drafting and developing well. It (UFA) should be way down on our list of ways-outside of filing holes and getting a player here and there."

This is just bizarre. Why badmouth UFAs and talk up trades??? What's the difference as far as bringing in veterans?

If anything, UFA should be preferable because 1. it doesn't cost you any players or picks and 2. it shows the player you acquire wants to be here. UFA is just as legitimate and useful tactic as any other to build a team.

It made me realize that on last year's roster, there were only two players, Numminen and Spacek, who chose to come here. The rest were either drafted or traded here.

Darcy is badmouthing UFA because he knows the abysmal reputation the Sabres have. Darcy likes trades because it forces players to come here. It's the only way we can get good veterans. That is incredibly self-delusional and takes spin to new depths. I am growing to despise that man.

He just doesn't have good people skills and it is hurting the organization. He is a big reason why Drury decided to leave. Yet, we extend HIS contract. Confusing?!?!

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-02-2007, 07:39 PM
or you can listen to it here

http://eod.liquidviewer.com/wgr-od/wgr/20070702_regier.wma

Mitchy moo
07-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Darcy for president, of another team.

Ebenezer
07-02-2007, 09:04 PM
[I] Darcy likes trades because it forces players to come here. It's the only way we can get good veterans.

which sets up an tenuous relationship from the start...a player in the 2000's getting shipped to Buffalo can now be compared to a player being shipped to Winnipeg in the 80s. Nobody really WANTED to go there.

Nighthawk
07-02-2007, 09:06 PM
which sets up an tenuous relationship from the start...a player in the 2000's getting shipped to Buffalo can now be compared to a player being shipped to Winnipeg in the 80s. Nobody really WANTED to go there.

Shhh, you're not allowed to disagree or say anything negative about the FO or you're not a fan. [sarcasm]

kgun12
07-02-2007, 10:38 PM
I would agree in a perfect world you use free agency as a way to fill a hole in your drafting and development. In the perfect world. However this is what got the Bills into trouble when FA started in the NFL. Unfortunately this is how teams are using FA, in all sports, so I don't understand why it takes Buffalo teams so long to figure it out?

DraftBoy
07-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Don Waddell (Thrashers GM) was on local radio here today and said that in just the last 24 hours he's heard a lot of big names becoming avail to free up some space, so maybe there is still hope for BUF who now has room. He said he expects alot of deals in the next few months. Not directly related to BUF but seems like an active trade market.

clumping platelets
07-02-2007, 11:11 PM
:mad:

Typ0
07-02-2007, 11:25 PM
some of these posts are idiots. you have totally missed the spirit of what DR was talking about. It's very similar to another point I have been talking about for a few weeks now. If the cap is 50M you want to have 60M worth of player on the roster not 40M. Teams that are desperate and have resources pump up the values of the players in UFA by making offers to them greater than their worth...and in the long run those teams suffer because they end up with less player value across their roster. Teams that draft well are better off because they are breeding players and paying them less.

you guys can bash DR for what has taken place. Certainly, I feel he gets at least part of the blame for not keeping CD on the roster. But bash him for something he's responsible for not because you don't know how to read and listen and are ignorant.

SabreEleven
07-02-2007, 11:55 PM
The reference is its impossible to know, nobody had a crystal ball.

It's your JOB to foresee these trends and make the proper adjustment....NOBODY foreseen Drury and Briere getting HUGE contracts on 1 July?....This a poor excuse. Everybody on this board knew that. He is just trying to keep the Billionaire from losing $100,00 next year. But he is going to lose more than that because...
1. The uniform and merchandise sales WILL not be #1 next year because all the lemmings that will buy the slug already bought.
2. They'll be lucky to sell out 1/4 of the game this year.

What is Tom going to think when he loses even more money next year with a marginal team on the ice? This should Regier and Quinn's last season in Buffalo.

Plus the FO and the players mirrored each other this year....they both choked when it mattered the most.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Attendance wont be a problem next year.. They pretty much have a waiting list for season tickets.

Of course, most fans didnt anticipate this.

mchurchfie
07-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Regier badmouths free agency based on his poor decisions that he made using it...Spacek comes to mind.:rolleyes: The Rangers have a pretty decent crop of people drafted and they still ended up with some gems FAs. For Regier to imply that all of his drafts are good and that everyone else who go after FAs aggressively is because their player development sucks is a HUGE copout and just shows his arrognance.:cynic: