PDA

View Full Version : Shaw is a great signing.. Read and you WILL believe

Tatonka
03-17-2003, 05:58 PM
i was sitting here reading all the stuff.. and came across this.. i think this provides a great look into what we just got.. i think after you see these stats next to each other.. you will see that this is a guy that is bringing something to the table.. you may think he is a nobody.. but i disagree, and believe he will function well in our offense if need be... just look at the stats and consider all the factors..

Shaw - 4 years exp- (probably no more than 1 mill a year, NO injuries)
________

136 receptions (Fine for 3rd/4th reciever)
1993 total yards receiving
10 TD's
6 receptions over 40+ yards
14.7 yard average per catch

Best season (he was a 3rd)
40 catches for 672 yards

(Note: this is with him only starting 11 of 63 games)

176 receptions
2310 total yards receiving
17 TD's (4 all last year)
7 reception over 40+ yards
13.1 yard average per catch

Best season (as a starter no less)
54 catches for 825 yards in 2001

(Note: all these numbers, or lack their of, with him starting 54 of 58 games)

70 total receptions
987 yards total receiving
4 TD's (3 two years ago, 1 last year)
2 receptions over 40+ yards
14.1 yard average per catch
Best season - 32 catches for 518 yards - in 2001

(Note: started 6 out of 40 games. couldnt stay healthy and wants 3 mill a season for the production he has had.. or lack their of.. his potential is not worth 3 mill a year)

Look at how much each wanted, and take into consideraton Dyson has been around 1 more year, AND shaw is for a 3rd/4th reciever spot... shaw actually has the best yards per catch numbers. he is one 40+ yard catch behind dyson.. and tripled that of Mr. speedster jenkins... he can get open

guys.. this is a quality signing.. and he knows gilbrides offense.. he had his best season under gilbride in 2000 as a 3rd WR, catching for KORDELL STEWART
:snicker:

TD got a good signing..

man i trust the franchise in his hands.

Tatonka
03-17-2003, 06:00 PM
i think we all get excited about names.. well shaw is not a name.. and jenkins is a bit of one in a thinned out market.. and dyson.. as you can see has really never done anything.. the guy NEVER broke 1k in yardage.. he gets hurt alot.. he is really not that great..

value for our dollar is the key here.. and man, we got it..

Romes
03-17-2003, 06:05 PM
Jenkins is a great maybe the best KR guy in the league. He is an excellent ST player. He is a good gunner. He can block kicks. I am happy with Shaw as a 3rd WR but signing Jenkins as a ST guy will help this team. Compare Shaw's KR stats with Jenkins' and you will see why I would still like Jenkins here.

Tatonka
03-17-2003, 06:22 PM
shaw can return punts well too..

i dont see the need for alot of extra cash put into just a returner when shaw can do an above average job..

but purely receiving standpoint, shaw is a VERY good 3rd wr..

basically, as good as dyson, and much better than jenkins.

Romes
03-17-2003, 06:30 PM
I fully agree with the Shaw signing.

Jenkin's won't get the money he is asking for.

Shaw does not fill all our WR needs. Jenkins will help a ton on STs. I would still love to have him here for $1.25 mil or less a year. I think we can get him for that.

Tatonka
03-17-2003, 06:33 PM
i dont think there is any way he signs for that little..

Schobel94
03-17-2003, 07:04 PM
I put this in another thread but here it is again:

Cardinals | Jenkins To Hit Market - from KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
February 19, 2003 5:28:03 PT The Arizona Republic reports the Arizona Cardinals are unlikely to re-sign WR MarTay Jenkins before the start of free agency at the end of the month. Michael Bauer, Jenkins’ agent, met with the team last week and is believed to be seeking a contract in the range of the $3-million-a-year deal San Diego Chargers WR Tim Dwight signed last off-season. Dwight also received a $5 million signing bonus. The Cardinals don’t appear willing to give up that much money to Jenkins.

Ebenezer
03-17-2003, 07:04 PM
This may be the move that puts TD down as Exec of the Year.

Romes
03-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Schobel, I saw that when it came out. However, I will bet anyone ZBs that Jenkins will not $3 million a year with a $5 million signing bonus.

Just because that is what he wants does not mean that is what he will get.

WG
03-17-2003, 07:52 PM
I like this Shaw signing. He was Jax's #2 last year in a system that didn't throw a lot. He's a tad bit undersized, but hopefully his speed makes up for that.

I would rather have gotten Derrius Thompson, but Shaw will suffice.

TigerJ
03-17-2003, 08:31 PM
Shaw's speed is good but not great. Remember the post yesterday (I've forgotten by whom) about a fan in Rochester who got an autograph from GW. GW pretty much said Buffalo would try to sign both Shaw and Jenkins. He said nothing about Dyson though.

Tatonka
03-17-2003, 10:03 PM
does anyone know what his 40 time is from draft time? and ingtar.. tell me what you think.