PDA

View Full Version : Woe Is Buffalo

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-02-2007, 08:55 PM
No one ever said it was easy being a Buffalo sports fan.

But losing Daniel Briere to the Flyers and Chris Drury to the Rangers on the first day of free agency -- in effect, gutting a Stanley Cup contender in a single day -- is, for my money, a worse kick in the groin than "Wide Right."

At least Scott Norwood had a chance to win Super Bowl XXV. At least he was on the field, with a tough but makeable kick in front of him.

At least poor Scott Norwood tried.

Sabres GM Darcy Regier? It's hard to say he even tried. He had months to re-sign his prize co-captains and did nothing about it until the last minute. Offering proposals below market value to two of the most highly sought free agents on the market less than a week before the deadline does not constitute trying or a good faith effort. It constitutes a lame and halfhearted one at best.

And in Drury's case, it constitutes sheer folly.

Reiger and owner Thomas Golisano have heard a lot of praise in the past three years for building a winner out of the ashes in Buffalo, a small market that nearly lost the Sabres when the feds uncovered the Rigas family's financial shenanigans and the team had to declare bankruptcy. They've been hailed as visionaries for building a team that could compete and win in the new NHL, for building a roster that, despite being largely devoid of salary cap-crushing superstars, rolled four solid lines with scoring ability and speed to burn. So they're neither hapless nor clueless.

For the rest: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=sukiennik/070702

Nighthawk
07-02-2007, 09:02 PM
I already posted this...

Ebenezer
07-02-2007, 09:06 PM
So they're neither hapless nor clueless.

and that is the key...these were planned moves...the team decided to make "one more run" and then break up the team or should I say allow it to dissolve. It's their mess now.

Mitchy moo
07-02-2007, 09:11 PM
no mess yet, we come into this season the president trophy winner & have a potent roster.