PDA

View Full Version : Predict Losman/Evans Next contract

Devin
07-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Doesnt have to be where, just the years/Salary you think they will get.

Im using Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson as my comparable figures. Schaub signed a 6 year $48 million dollar deal without being proven, hell im not even sure he started a game if he did it wasnt much. I shudder to think what JP gets if he has another solid season. Chad Pennington is in the midst of a 7 year, $64.2 mil deal, ill peg JP right in the middle somewhere but a little closer to CP.

Prediction: J.P. Losman, 6 years $57.5 mil

Andre Johnson got an 8 year $60 million dollar deal. I think Evans probably gets somewhere close to that.

Prediction: Lee Evans, 7 years $56 Mil

And for the record assuming both he and Evans have another solid year I predict we re-sign only one of them. Likely JP. I just cant see plans in the Bills "Ralphanomics" to sign both. Hes not thte type to have 200 mil tied up in just the offense.

mikemac2001
07-03-2007, 04:33 AM
I think evans will get one, i dont believe they are sold on JP

djjimkelly
07-03-2007, 05:49 AM
losman gets his new deal after this season and evans after 2 more seasons both will get rewarded with 1 year left on their respective deals

Devin
07-03-2007, 06:42 AM
What part of this was tricky?

BlackMetalNinja
07-03-2007, 07:09 AM
The part where you said:
"Doesnt have to be where, just the years/Salary you think they will get."

It was right at the beginning and therefore really threw some off I guess...

I'd say your numbers are pretty accurate, depending greatly on what happens this year. I see Evans potentially getting a bigger deal if he puts up another really good year this season.

Devin
07-03-2007, 07:34 AM
The part where you said:
"Doesnt have to be where, just the years/Salary you think they will get."

It was right at the beginning and therefore really threw some off I guess...

I'd say your numbers are pretty accurate, depending greatly on what happens this year. I see Evans potentially getting a bigger deal if he puts up another really good year this season.

:rofl:

Yeah the Evans deal actually works out to more per year then johnson, just a year shorter. But yes if he hangs 1300 yards while being double teamed all year it would be pretty hard to argue.

Talk0fNewYork
07-03-2007, 09:16 AM
why if the bills are like the sabres we'll let em both walk and resign Josh Reed!

Devin
07-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Doh!

Oaf
07-03-2007, 01:55 PM
How the hell did Schaub swindle that sort of money?! That is really astounding considering his accomplishments so far. Even if Losman continues his upward trend this year, I'd be very hard pressed to give him a contract bigger than 6 yrs 50 million.

Evans on the other hand, deserves to be paid top 10 money IMO, and will warrant that after this season.

RockStar36
07-03-2007, 02:08 PM
How the hell did Schaub swindle that sort of money?! That is really astounding considering his accomplishments so far. Even if Losman continues his upward trend this year, I'd be very hard pressed to give him a contract bigger than 6 yrs 50 million.

Evans on the other hand, deserves to be paid top 10 money IMO, and will warrant that after this season.

He had a good game against New England. Didn't you hear? They almost won that game.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Doesnt have to be where, just the years/Salary you think they will get.

Im using Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson as my comparable figures. Schaub signed a 6 year $48 million dollar deal without being proven, hell im not even sure he started a game if he did it wasnt much. I shudder to think what JP gets if he has another solid season. Chad Pennington is in the midst of a 7 year, $64.2 mil deal, ill peg JP right in the middle somewhere but a little closer to CP.

Prediction: J.P. Losman, 6 years $57.5 mil

Andre Johnson got an 8 year $60 million dollar deal. I think Evans probably gets somewhere close to that.

Prediction: Lee Evans, 7 years $56 Mil

And for the record assuming both he and Evans have another solid year I predict we re-sign only one of them. Likely JP. I just cant see plans in the Bills "Ralphanomics" to sign both. Hes not thte type to have 200 mil tied up in just the offense.
Close but I think those numbers are a tad on the lower end, especially if the cap keeps rising.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 02:19 PM
losman gets his new deal after this season and evans after 2 more seasons both will get rewarded with 1 year left on their respective deals
Trust me they'd be very well served to get a deal done before they got into the final year with Evans.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if there is no "franchise player" within the next two years etiher.

Ickybaluky
07-03-2007, 02:20 PM
The new market makes the contracts higher. I like to look at the franchise amounts to ascertain what top players cost, since it is the average of the top-5 players at that position in the game. Based on that, your numbers are low.

The franchise number on QBs is $12.615M this year and is likely to go up next season (that is the non-exclusive tag, the exclusive tag would be higher). QBs are by far the highest paid players in the game. By contrast, the franchise tag for WR is $7.613M (again, non-exclusive).

If Losman has a big year then he will be in line for around $12M-$13M per season, with $30M+ in guarantees.

Evans I'd say he gets around $7M-$8M per season. He should receive around $20M-$30M in guarantees.

Ickybaluky
07-03-2007, 02:21 PM

That isn't a lot of money for a QB. Granted, he is unproven and thus overpaid, but if he turns into a good starter he will be a value compared with other contracts in the NFL.

TacklingDummy
07-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Evans: 6 years, 55 million

Luisito23
07-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Evans: 6 years, 55 million

Sweet!....:balloons: :beers:...

GO BILLS!!!!!!

Devin
07-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Close but I think those numbers are a tad on the lower end, especially if the cap keeps rising.

Id agree, if anything my predictions were low. While I feel Evans is probably close, Losman was the one I couldnt get a handle on. Brees got 10 mil a year for 6 years from the Saints last year. So it was tough to gauge between he and Schaub were JP might fall.

The new market makes the contracts higher. I like to look at the franchise amounts to ascertain what top players cost, since it is the average of the top-5 players at that position in the game. Based on that, your numbers are low.

The franchise number on QBs is $12.615M this year and is likely to go up next season (that is the non-exclusive tag, the exclusive tag would be higher). QBs are by far the highest paid players in the game. By contrast, the franchise tag for WR is $7.613M (again, non-exclusive).

If Losman has a big year then he will be in line for around $12M-$13M per season, with $30M+ in guarantees.

Evans I'd say he gets around $7M-$8M per season. He should receive around $20M-$30M in guarantees.

Agree completley about evans, I had him at 8 mil a season so I will stand by the 7 year $56 mil number. Or at least in that ballpark.

Losman was tougher for the above stated reason. I dont argue at all, given the cap rising the way it has and stupid contracts handed out by other teams nothing would shock me. I just couldnt see him doing better then the Brees deal so I stuck him in the middle somewhere.

That being said in todays market 12 mil a year for Losman wouldnt shock me at all.

BillsFever21
07-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Losman and Evans will easily get 8 million a year and maybe more then that. Especially if we keep dicking around on their extensions. The longer you wait the more money it's going to cost.

Chris Freaking Kelsay got 6 million a year. Derrick Dockery got 7 million a year. Evans will get at least 8 million a year. Maybe more if we wait another year or two. Every year the price goes up.

As far as JP goes he is a QB and they are a higher paid position. If he continues his development this year which with his work habit he certaintly will then he will command 9 or 10 million a year. Even more if he really breaks out this season.

This would've been the offseason to re-sign these guys. At least one of them. We will never keep both of them. Ralph isn't going to shell out 150 million for both of these guys. Especially with our cap theory we would never be able to squeeze them in the cap. They would each cost 20 million. There is no way we can tie up 40 million of our cap.

The way to do it would've been to sign Evans this year and then JP next year if he continued where he left off at the end of last year. Instead we give tie up 20 million of our cap for guys like Chris Kelsay and Langston Walker. Both of these are average guys where we had younger replacements(Hargrove, Pennington) on the bench that would've performed just as well. Then could've used draft picks for backup at them positions.

Then next year we could've used our available money for Losman. We would've had the core of our young offense locked up with good cap room for the future also. But hey, no big deal, we have Chris Kelsay and Langston Walker to carry us and lead our team.

Ickybaluky
07-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Losman was tougher for the above stated reason. I dont argue at all, given the cap rising the way it has and stupid contracts handed out by other teams nothing would shock me. I just couldnt see him doing better then the Brees deal so I stuck him in the middle somewhere.

Two comments:

- My Losman guess assumes he has a good season. He is still young and if he takes the next step he would have a lot of leverage. If he doesn't play better (and while he improved he still has a long way to go to convince me), then he wouldn't be nearly as attractive as a FA.

- It is tough to use the Brees deal as a comparison, because he was coming off surgery to his throwing shoulder that scared off a lot of teams. If Brees hit the market today after the season he had in NO, he would command a lot more money.

Mr. Pink
07-04-2007, 04:09 PM
If Evans becomes a UFA.....8 years 88 million...20 guaranteed.
If Ralph decides he might be important to keep around and give him an extension....I'm thinking around 5 years 35 million 8 guaranteed.

Losman is very tough to speculate right now, lets see how well he does with another year under his belt. Right now, he's not worth more than 3.5 a year, and quite frankly....if he hit the open market based on his body of work so far...he'd be going in as a primary backup. Which at best means about 2 million per year, if he's lucky.

Devin
07-05-2007, 12:12 AM
If Evans becomes a UFA.....8 years 88 million...20 guaranteed.
If Ralph decides he might be important to keep around and give him an extension....I'm thinking around 5 years 35 million 8 guaranteed.

Losman is very tough to speculate right now, lets see how well he does with another year under his belt. Right now, he's not worth more than 3.5 a year, and quite frankly....if he hit the open market based on his body of work so far...he'd be going in as a primary backup. Which at best means about 2 million per year, if he's lucky.

88 million huh, an 11 mil WR. And thats a hell of a hometown discount.