X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SkateZilla
    • Dec 2002

Notes : Good Things about Briere/Drury Gone

1. 8 Million of Cap space freed for other use.
    2. Bring up some players full time (ie Stafford)
    3. IMHO Briere was never a good captain, too inexperienced, Drury was awesome on the PK and stuff and will be missed.
    4. Briere takes his Floating attitude he developed over the last half of last season with him to Philly **(Watch the first 20-40 games, we score on tons of odd man rushes, look at the 2nd half, players float and dump)
    5. Vanek Might End Up on First Line for A while. (Vanek - Connolly - Pomminville anyone?, think of how much they would score if Vanek goes to the net, timmy does his thing with his hands and dumps it to either TV or Poms who both either goto the net or are standing in front of it, insane, Poms May hit 40 Goals)

6. Brings the Team down to earth, the rest of the team realizes, "Hey we dont have our super stars no more, its time to ****ing step up.

7. We could embarrass Philly 6 times next season, Rangers as well.

8. Theres still time in free Agency to pick up decent players.
    Skate Zilla
    -----------------------
    Skate Zilla HD Studios:
    SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS
  • kgun12
    • Jul 2002

Re: Notes : Good Things about Briere/Drury Gone

But you know people aren't going to stand for this glass half full crap, don't you?
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SkateZilla
      3. IMHO Briere was never a good captain, too inexperienced, Drury was awesome on the PK and stuff and will be missed.
      4. Briere takes his Floating attitude he developed over the last half of last season with him to Philly **(Watch the first 20-40 games, we score on tons of odd man rushes, look at the 2nd half, players float and dump)
      5. Vanek Might End Up on First Line for A while. (Vanek - Connolly - Pomminville anyone?, think of how much they would score if Vanek goes to the net, timmy does his thing with his hands and dumps it to either TV or Poms who both either goto the net or are standing in front of it, insane, Poms May hit 40 Goals)

6. Brings the Team down to earth, the rest of the team realizes, "Hey we dont have our super stars no more, its time to ****ing step up.

have fun fighting for 8th place....

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• SkateZilla
        • Dec 2002

IMHO, all we need to fill is drury's spot, we killed people last year without Briere (Sports Hernia).
        Skate Zilla
        -----------------------
        Skate Zilla HD Studios:
        SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• kgun12
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
          have fun fighting for 8th place....
          How is that worse than finishing in 1st? We didn't win the cup even though we won the Presidents Trophy. Which amazes me that a FO this bad could put the necessary players together to do that!
          Retired Air Traffic Controller
          USAF VETERAN
          DAV

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kgun12
            How is that worse than finishing in 1st? We didn't win the cup even though we won the Presidents Trophy. Which amazes me that a FO this bad could put the necessary players together to do that!
            fighting for 8th doesn't ensure you a playoff spot...this team is an injury to Vanek, Miller or maybe a Max away from finishing 11th in the conference. Failure to make the playoffs will only ensure that other free agents don't sign here. The domino effect from the loss of Drury might snowball out of control. This team as assembled, right now, does not have the makings of a playoff team - and even if they did make the playoffs it does not have the grit to get past the NYI of last year let alone the NYR, Ottawa or God forbid Anaheim. Anybody who thinks this team can compete with the roster now assembled is living a fool's dream. How, by subtracting Drury, did this team get tougher? For this team to even make the playoffs next year, as assembled right now, Miller is going to have a GAA under 2.25.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Max is trade bait IMO

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                Max is trade bait IMO
                I agree...unless they allow Vanek to leave then you might have to keep Max just as a way of showing that there might be some sort of committment. As it is this team realistically lost 75-80 goals off it's roster if not more just by losing Drury and Briere...lose Vanek and Max and they are going to lose a lot of 3-1 games next year.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SkateZilla

Skate, I'm sorry but having read that for the third time that is the biggest bunch of bull I've heard since the press conference. Let me address all of them.

1. They didn't count against the cap anyway. The Sabres could still spend $17 mil (as they said they would) but at this point who is there to spend it on?? What quality FA are remaining and would any of them even want to come here? To get them here DR will have to overspend. The first and next big signing will be whoever they decide is the next captain and they will overpay to placate him and keep him here...are you ready for a $4million Brian Campbell??

2. Bring up who?? Stafford and Paille were here last year. They may not be ready to be 40 goal scorers. This team lost at least 80-100 goals off the roster between those scored by Drury and Briere and those set up by the two. That must be replaced or try winning games 2-1. The kids played well - but how much of that was because DB and CD were here to open up the ice. 2-1?? Miller is good but not Hasek.

3. DB was your leading scorer and CD was the heart. The team has been weakened not only in the goal scoring department but in the heart and in the confidence in management departments.

4. Irrevelent to how the Sabres do next year. They still lose whatever scoring DB brought to the table.

5. Vanek has to come out of the shadow and score AT LEAST 43 like he did last year. Connolly is one hit away from being a veggie and Pominville is a function of his center....see Tim Connolly and one hit away from being a veggie.

6. Down to earth? What if your employee took your best two players and basically let them walk - and even opened the door for them - to another team. It's just not the loss of DB and CD - it goes back to last year and the losses of Grier and McKee. A huge message was sent. "We don't care that we got within a period of the final we don't pay more than $5mil a year and we don't give out more than 4 years. You are free to go someplace else when you get good". This team lacked the grit to beat Ottawa, barely survived the NYI and NYR and would have been obliterated by Anaheim. Explain to me how they got grittier losing CD and how they got better losing their leading playoff scorere??

7. The Rangers will pound us next year. That's Drury on the other side as their heart...not Jagr. Philly is on even standing now.

8. Like who?? Last time I looked Souray was left...why would he want to come here?? Why would anybody???

I think it is admirable that you can still look at the glass as half full but it is a rose colored glass. You need to look closer.

Comment

• Dude
                    that slimey ass of an ***** at the zone
                    • Feb 2005

My list?

1. ....

**** that.

There are no good aspects to how the Sabres ****ed this up.

Comment

• don137
                      • Jul 2002

I think Buffalo won't make a splash in free agency like Eb said because their isn't anyone to pick up that are big impact players but lets not forget how we got Drury, Dumont, Briere, etc. They came via trade. I feel the Sabres will make one impact trade this summer.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by don137
                        I think Buffalo won't make a splash in free agency like Eb said because their isn't anyone to pick up that are big impact players but lets not forget how we got Drury, Dumont, Briere, etc. They came via trade. I feel the Sabres will make one impact trade this summer.
                        but what do you trade...they just lost a boat load of scoring and backbone...who do you have left to trade?? Max, Kotalik, Kalinin? They want to get more defensive so rule out anybody on the Def. That leaves Max or Kotalik. You just lost a boat load of scoring and your team's heart. Fine. Trade one of them and you weaken the offensive even more. Who is going to score for this team? What are teams going to give up for Max or Kotalik? How many draft picks you going to put together to get a quality player in here? I fear it is too late to make substantial strides this season. ...last year they "reacted" (aka panicked) and brought in Spacek when they lost McKee - they haven't even done that this year. This FO might be more paralyzed than the deer in the headlights. The FO either completely overplayed their hand thinking they had Drury signed (See Buffalo News article from this morning) or they simply sliced the payroll or they are incompetent...my opinion will not change until I actually see quality players being brought in

Comment

Working...
                        X