PDA

View Full Version : Hey all you Darcy apologists

chernobylwraiths
07-03-2007, 06:08 AM
explain this away...

Why the captain jumped ship
By John Vogl, Tim Graham and Bucky Gleason NEWS SPORTS REPORTERS
Updated: 07/03/07 6:51 AM

The Buffalo Sabres had co-captain Chris Drury locked up for four more years. Then they drove him away with their inaction.

Drury and the Sabres agreed on terms of a new contract last fall, but the team suddenly went silent and never formally presented the offer. The co-captain, after weeks of uncertainty, had his agent withdraw the deal and started thinking about a new organization, an industry source with knowledge of the negotiations has told The Buffalo News.

He doesn't have a plan, he's just incompetant.

Typ0
07-03-2007, 06:16 AM
this makes me sick. the last week has taken my warm and fuzzy feeling and turned it into puke. both of the players could have been on the team for at least the next three years for a very reasonable price. They wanted to play together. They wanted to keep the team intact and they wanted to bring a championship to buffalo and the Sabres organization just wasn't interested enough to get the job done. Why should we be interested?

chernobylwraiths
07-03-2007, 06:23 AM
for those interested in reading, it is on www.buffalonews.com

Typ0
07-03-2007, 06:24 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/

made the front page of course.

Typ0
07-03-2007, 06:27 AM
clearly someone screwed up...not that I want to make excuses but maybe this wasn't DR...maybe he's the guy that put the original deal together and someone else failed to deliver it..could have been TG himself who failed to ink something.

we can't afford those kinds of screw ups though...someone should be held accountable.

clumping platelets
07-03-2007, 06:41 AM
:ill:

clumping platelets
07-03-2007, 06:41 AM
It's all they are talkin' aboot on WGR this marnin'

Dude
07-03-2007, 06:51 AM
This is ****ing bull****.

The people running this team are clueless morons.

Regardless of the final figures Briere and Drury signed for, you can't spin the fact that the Sabres ****ed this whole thing up.

The only ones to blame for those two players wearing different colors are the Sabres' FO..

****ing bull****.

Night Train
07-03-2007, 07:59 AM
It's all they are talkin' aboot on WGR this marnin'
But the Bills suck and the Sabres are great, according to WGR.

Bufftp
07-03-2007, 08:08 AM
I think DR made the deal and wanted to pull the trigger. I think LQ and TG screwed up. I don't know why DR stayed in Buffalo.

carybillsfan
07-03-2007, 08:21 AM
But I thought it was all the other BS that they stated at PC yesterday.

This organization is a classless joke.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-03-2007, 08:26 AM
That is totally inexcusable. There is no possible way that can happen. This is Chris Drury we are talking about, it isn't some shmuck third liner, this was our captain, our hero, our face of the franchise. If this is true someone needs to be fired. I don't think we will know if it was Darcy, but someone needs their ass on a platter. In two years this front office will be here saying how they need a Chris Drury type player. Dammit, I was just about to turn the corner and accept this. Even it this **** up has been done, what the hell are they doing about it? This plan A - Let Briere walk plan B - desperatly try to fix the Drury situation plan C - have a press conference to tell everyone how we ****** up and we are very sorry. Do something about it you ******* ********! Don't just sit on your ******* hands and pout about your mistakes. Oh wait, they are going to try to lockup Brian Campbell. Well if you get an agreement that is a good one, don't sit there and do nothing about it you ******s.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 09:03 AM
So as of last year, the Sabres could have locked up both captains for 11.5 million a year.

Maybe they used the Zigomanis fax machine.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 09:27 AM
I dont know about you guys.. But if I'm Tom Golisano and I want to save face with the fans... Like I said yesterday.. If you want ANY real quality FA to come to Buffalo in the coming years, The hammer comes down on Darcy Regier TODAY.

It's just an inexcusable offense. Our best two players would not only still be both be here, but they'd be here BELOW market value, which for a city like Buffalo is the goal.

Listen, I've given Darcy many props over the years. He's built this team on some outstanding trades and draft choices. But the bottom line is when you make this kind of mistake, the kind of mistake that will set this team not to mention alienate many fans for years to come.

If this was my workplace, the owner would tell our manager, "you've done a fine job, but I have to let you go"

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Not only that.. When asked if the Sabres would be less competitive yesterday at the press conference, Quinn started to answer.. and then Regier interupted and said "Let me answer that. We will be less competitive without Chris Drury and Dan Briere."

What kind of message is that to fans that plucked down in many cases more than they can afford for season tickets?

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Again overeactive whining! It is over and done with. I am sure "Bucky" Gleason has great insider sources.... :ill:

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Again overeactive whining! It is over and done with. I am sure "Bucky" Gleason has great insider sources.... :ill:
Its not just Gleason its being reported ALL over the media..

And overeactive whining? I guess when a team loses its best two players and finds out that they could BOTH had been back for below market value--but are gone because of incompetence fans dont have a right to hold the GM responsible.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-03-2007, 09:39 AM

Wait a second, if this story is true, you have no problem with it? And those of us that have a problem with it are whiney *****es?

Philagape
07-03-2007, 09:51 AM

Maybe it is better to just not have a care in the world, eh?

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 09:54 AM

The team just lost their two captains and added no new talent. In case you didn't notice, we weren't good enough to win the cup WITH Drury and Briere- how are we supposed to be good enough with a net loss of talent?

On top of that, there are lots of indications that the FO completely botched the re-signing process. If it was truly just a case of Briere getting too much money and Drury wanting to leave, there would not be nearly this many stories about mistakes on the part of the FO.

None of that bothers you at all? A net loss of talent and FO incompetence?

It doesn't make sense for anyone who wants this team to win to just shrug this off. Mistreating veterans and not replacing top talent is NOT a winning formula.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Let the Bills lose JP Losman and Lee Evans in the same day and see what the reaction of the Bills fans would be. Because its the same thing.

Let me change that. Let the Bills lose JP and Evans NOT because they went for bigger money but because our front office totally SCREWED up everything when it came to getting them resigned.

mchurchfie
07-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Again overeactive whining! It is over and done with. I am sure "Bucky" Gleason has great insider sources.... :ill:Remember that when you are watching the Flyers or Rangers whipping our asses into submission this coming season Thurm.:rolleyes:

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2007, 10:14 AM
I dont know about you guys.. But if I'm Tom Golisano and I want to save face with the fans... Like I said yesterday.. If you want ANY real quality FA to come to Buffalo in the coming years, The hammer comes down on Darcy Regier TODAY.

It's just an inexcusable offense. Our best two players would not only still be both be here, but they'd be here BELOW market value, which for a city like Buffalo is the goal.

Listen, I've given Darcy many props over the years. He's built this team on some outstanding trades and draft choices. But the bottom line is when you make this kind of mistake, the kind of mistake that will set this team not to mention alienate many fans for years to come.

If this was my workplace, the owner would tell our manager, "you've done a fine job, but I have to let you go"
Depending on who held up the deal, it might be Quinn that goes, not Darcy, Pat.

You are assuming Darcy is the problem. Based on history, I would say it is more likely Quinn and he should get canned.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Remember that when you are watching the Flyers or Rangers whipping are asses into submission this coming season Thurm.:rolleyes:
I will. We will hold our own, ESPECIALLY against the Flyers.

mchurchfie
07-03-2007, 10:17 AM
You are assuming Darcy is the problem. Based on history, I would say it is more likely Quinn and he should get canned.
:bf1: This one has his fingerprints all over it.

SabreEleven
07-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Thurm has become comfortable with losing, he is afraid of success.

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2007, 10:21 AM

Kinda like you are when looking for a BJ.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 10:22 AM

Yes you are correct.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 10:23 AM
That is were you are wrong. I am very successful. I think it may stem from the fact that I can move past something and focus on what needs to be done rather than being obsessed with past events.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 10:24 AM

that's from rooting for Buffalo's other major sports franchise. Just go read the BZ- it's full of people chomping at the bit to defend mediocrity.

SabreEleven
07-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Larry does have a great tan :scratch:

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2007, 10:28 AM
that's from rooting for Buffalo's other major sports franchise. Just go read the BZ- it's full of people chomping at the bit to defend mediocrity.

No the difference is the Bills are a young team with young guys that should improve and area team that upgraded the offense.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 10:37 AM

Good point.. He's been in the center of the two biggest messes in Sabres history.

mchurchfie
07-03-2007, 10:41 AM
That is were you are wrong. I am very successful. I think it may stem from the fact that I can move past something and focus on what needs to be done rather than being obsessed with past events.You're starting to sound like Darcy, Thurm.:ill:

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 11:13 AM
You're starting to sound like Darcy, Thurm.:ill:
Good!

I love how you guys will believe Gleason's word like it is gospel. Reiger and Quinn personally called the guy out at the press conference yesterday and made him look stupid. Couldn't this be a retalitory shot? We all know that the media can basically print whatever they want since they never have to divulge their "sources"

mchurchfie
07-03-2007, 11:24 AM
The media didn't have anything to do with losing Briere or Drury.

chernobylwraiths
07-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Good!

I love how you guys will believe Gleason's word like it is gospel. Reiger and Quinn personally called the guy out at the press conference yesterday and made him look stupid. Couldn't this be a retalitory shot? We all know that the media can basically print whatever they want since they never have to divulge their "sources"

Did you LISTEN to the press conference yesterday? They were stumbling all over each other. I give Darcy some credit with being honest and stepping on Quinn a few times to answer questions that Quinn wouldn't answer. Quinn even contradicted himself a couple times trying to get his "timeline" down.

Plus, if you read the article, you would see that they quote Drury himself that if the Sabres had been a little more aggressive at the end of the season, he would have signed for $6 million. But I guess he is a liar too.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Good!

is Drury saying it HIMSELF a good enough source for you?

Ebenezer
07-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Did you LISTEN to the press conference yesterday? They were stumbling all over each other. I give Darcy some credit with being honest and stepping on Quinn a few times to answer questions that Quinn wouldn't answer. Quinn even contradicted himself a couple times trying to get his "timeline" down.

Plus, if you read the article, you would see that they quote Drury himself that if the Sabres had been a little more aggressive at the end of the season, he would have signed for $6 million. But I guess he is a liar too.
if you listened to Howard Simon this morning he said that DR was actually getting upset when discussing the Sabres not becoming competitive...as if the order was coming from higher up e.g., Quinn.

Typ0
07-03-2007, 02:44 PM
if you listened to Howard Simon this morning he said that DR was actually getting upset when discussing the Sabres not becoming competitive...as if the order was coming from higher up e.g., Quinn.

he never said the sabres were not becoming competitive. It's sad how things get twisted around.

Ebenezer
07-03-2007, 04:23 PM
he never said the sabres were not becoming competitive. It's sad how things get twisted around.
yes he did...DR interrupted LQ and even compared the Sabres to the Pirates.

Typ0
07-03-2007, 05:12 PM
yes he did...DR interrupted LQ and even compared the Sabres to the Pirates.

see...you haven't really listened to a thing he said to learn what his attitude is so you don't understand what he is saying with these quotes. When asked if the team would be as competitive next season as last LQ started to answer and DR jumped over him to say basically [we are not as competitive today as we were two days ago] meaning you don't lose those two players and remain as competitive. As he said several times and in different ways he respects the value of the players and he respects their right to make choices too. In this case he was just saying they lost a lot of value any idiot can see they are going to take a hit...and to say they were just as equipped to compete would have been a slap in CD and DB face.

As far as the pirates comment, he keeps saying you don't have the benefit of hindsight nor can you specifically predict the future...so saying anything is possible is the best answer than to say yes or no to a question like that. Shoop must have checked your ip address and hung up on you.

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2007, 11:16 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/sabres/fullstory.php?id=2488

The source does confirm that a couple of weeks after a meeting between Sabres management and Witkin had taken place in Boston, the Sabres' efforts to consummate the deal with Drury were rebuffed by the player's camp, with Drury's agent telling the Sabres that Drury at that point - about six weeks into the season - would rather "concentrate on hockey" and let contract negotiations wait until after the season.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Bucky Gleason doesn't know hockey! the Buffalo News should fire him and get Jim Kelley back now he's a real hockey writer!

jamze132
07-03-2007, 11:47 PM
clearly someone screwed up...not that I want to make excuses but maybe this wasn't DR...maybe he's the guy that put the original deal together and someone else failed to deliver it..could have been TG himself who failed to ink something.

we can't afford those kinds of screw ups though...someone should be held accountable.
I seriously doubt someone forgot to do something and it just went unnoticed for months. There is a reason why the Sabres let Drury, Briere, and Zurbus just walk away and there isn't a good enough reason for me to understand their thought process.

Why should I give a FLYING **** and watch the Sabres next year if the FO doesn't give a **** about fielding a winner, making good business decisions, and keeping the fans happy?

No one simply forgot to do something with the Drury deal. The FO is penny pinching again and the fans who supported the team and sold out every game the last two years are getting ****ed over.

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Penny piching is tough to claim, when they were up to and above the cap last year.

Ebenezer
07-04-2007, 12:02 AM
Penny piching is tough to claim, when they were up to and above the cap last year.
...for one year....we have to wait to see what they do this year...we were told $45 mil or whatever....if they end up spending $36 or whatever some true colors might show...like they will use the "unanticipated loss" of DB and/or CD as an excuse as to why they are under their own self imposed cap.

clumping platelets
07-04-2007, 12:16 AM
I'm trying to figure out how they will get to the $45 million range..............few decent players left in FA

Ebenezer
07-04-2007, 12:23 AM
I'm trying to figure out how they will get to the $45 million range..............few decent players left in FA
schoop was screaming at me that "they have to sign their own first"

kgun12
07-04-2007, 04:17 AM
this makes me sick. the last week has taken my warm and fuzzy feeling and turned it into puke. both of the players could have been on the team for at least the next three years for a very reasonable price. They wanted to play together. They wanted to keep the team intact and they wanted to bring a championship to buffalo and the Sabres organization just wasn't interested enough to get the job done. Why should we be interested?

I agree Typo, but as far as that warm and fuzzy feeling and how you archive this...Please the visual on that is enough to make ME puke! :snicker:

Nighthawk
07-04-2007, 08:45 AM

Schoop basically works for the Sabres and is trying to take some heat off of them.

Nighthawk
07-04-2007, 08:48 AM

There is a HUGE difference between being a competitive team and being a Cup winning team. Last year the Leafs were competitive, but were not even close to a Cup winning team. The FO constantly saying that at the press conference is a terrible sign for the direction of this franchise. I don't know if they ever mentioned trying to be a championship team? Not good.

chernobylwraiths
07-04-2007, 08:56 AM

Schoop's premise was that they will not sign anybody more than a mid range player, probably a defenseman. He also said that the loss of Drury and to a lesser extent Briere will change the way the Sabres negotiate in the future. So, the Sabres might look to tie up Vanek and Roy as well as extend Campbell long term now rather than risk losing them. Miller might be a thought as well. THAT would help start the healing process of this screwup.

He also mentioned Kotalik and Kalinin as well, but I hope they were just talking about who would be up for UFA next year.

Ebenezer
07-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Schoop's premise was that they will not sign anybody more than a mid range player, probably a defenseman. He also said that the loss of Drury and to a lesser extent Briere will change the way the Sabres negotiate in the future. So, the Sabres might look to tie up Vanek and Roy as well as extend Campbell long term now rather than risk losing them. Miller might be a thought as well. THAT would help start the healing process of this screwup.

He also mentioned Kotalik and Kalinin as well, but I hope they were just talking about who would be up for UFA next year.
and if you were Vanek or Miller why would you sign any deal longer than that which gets you to be a UFA as fast as possible??

patmoran2006
07-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Schoop basically works for the Sabres and is trying to take some heat off of them.
hahhahhah.

My man.. No he doesnt. Mike Gilbert (Sabres) does not like him, and especially SCott Berchtold (Bills) doesnt. This dude is VERY CRITICAL of our front offices, perhaps more any media member around here.

He's been blasting this FO for weeks leading up to FA for not getting deals done, he lambasted Quinn for not acepting Briere's proposal last year.

TRUST ME, these last few days he's given the Sabres the chance to tell their side. But he's one of the farthest things from a homer in the media.

patmoran2006
07-04-2007, 09:42 AM
http://www.wgr550.com/sabres/fullstory.php?id=2488

The source does confirm that a couple of weeks after a meeting between Sabres management and Witkin had taken place in Boston, the Sabres' efforts to consummate the deal with Drury were rebuffed by the player's camp, with Drury's agent telling the Sabres that Drury at that point - about six weeks into the season - would rather "concentrate on hockey" and let contract negotiations wait until after the season.
They still had a couple of weeks and didnt officially get the contract done that was agreed upon. the time frame wasnt as long as first reported your right, but there was an agreement and after two weeks Drury decided to rescind.

chernobylwraiths
07-04-2007, 10:49 AM
hahhahhah.

My man.. No he doesnt. Mike Gilbert (Sabres) does not like him, and especially SCott Berchtold (Bills) doesnt. This dude is VERY CRITICAL of our front offices, perhaps more any media member around here.

He's been blasting this FO for weeks leading up to FA for not getting deals done, he lambasted Quinn for not acepting Briere's proposal last year.

TRUST ME, these last few days he's given the Sabres the chance to tell their side. But he's one of the farthest things from a homer in the media.

He has hated the Bills since Donahoe was GM. He blasts the Bills any chance he gets.

As for the Sabres, yes, he HAS been blasting the Sabres for not getting either Briere or Drury, but, even yesterday he said he has always come off as a Sabres apologist and usually takes the Sabres side. I think it is because he is close to Regier and/or Quinn.

chernobylwraiths
07-04-2007, 10:49 AM
and if you were Vanek or Miller why would you sign any deal longer than that which gets you to be a UFA as fast as possible??

:$:

Michael82
07-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Wow! This just makes me feel even better. Nice job, Larry Quinn, Darcy Regier, and Tom Golisano! You dumb ****s!!! :mad:

:puke:

Johnny Bugmenot
07-05-2007, 08:27 AM
WGR is the official propaganda outlet for the Sabres. All you can expect from them is the company line. So I suspect WGR, and anyone who willfully propagates their claims, are liars as well.