PDA

View Full Version : Who Had A Worse Offseason

Talk0fNewYork
07-03-2007, 09:18 AM
The Bills Or Sabres?

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-03-2007, 09:20 AM
If the report that the Sabres had a deal with Drury and never followed through, it could be the worst offseason of any Buffalo sports team ever.

ParanoidAndroid
07-03-2007, 10:04 AM
No way should they have allowed Drury to walk. The Sabres should have paid him.
Losing Drury is about the equivalent of losing Andre Reed in his prime. All the Bills that walked this year do not equal that impact.

Nothing the Bills did equals the boneheaded and shortsighted strategy of not dealing during the season.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 10:07 AM
That's easy. The only way the Bills match the Sabres is if they lost Evans and Peters for nothing when they could have kept both

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 10:08 AM
definitely the Sabres.

I think the Bills may have some talent on the roster- I just wished they would have kept the vets around a little longer to have a better shot at winning while that talent develops. And while the D is in rough shape, at least the Bills improved the offense (on paper anyway).

The Sabres had a ridiculous loss of talent and did not get better in any way, shape or form. At this point in the off-season- with only a short list of B-list FA's available, it's hard to see how the Sabres won't clearly be worse than last year.

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2007, 10:10 AM
The Bills did not have a bad offseason.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 10:20 AM
The Bills had the type of off-season that's on par with a young team that's trying to rebuild and become a title contender down the road. Slash some aging vets, spend some money on the OL and rely on the young guys to continue to get better. Not glamorous, but certainly expected and in some regards, respectable.

The Sabres were a complete opposite team. The Sabres were a team that was a couple of bounces away again from playing for a championship. Buffalo was the best team during the regular season, call them the San Diego of the NFL.

So instead of adding 1-2 small but needed ingredients, we let our best two players walk with obviously no Plan B.

So keeping with football, it would be the equivalant of SD losing LT and Merriman in Free AGency, to find out days later the Chargers could've had them both locked up the year before but AJ Smith messed it up.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 10:20 AM

oh really? Since when is losing 3 defensive starters and gaining ZERO not a bad off-season? Since when is being one contract dispute away from the exact same DL as last year not a bad off-season? I'd say the offense had a good off-season. The D was hurting last year and so far it has gotten worse, not better.

TacklingDummy
07-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Where's option C: They both been bad.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 10:24 AM
The Bills homer rally cry is we didnt win with Fletch, Clements, Spikes etc so we can lose without them.

The Sabres WON with Drury and Briere and let them go for no good reason.

I dont think this is even a debate.

TacklingDummy
07-03-2007, 10:27 AM
I'd say the offense had a good off-season.

The offense didn't do much better. The Bills traded away McGahee and replaced him with a rookie.

They gave huge money to an average offensive linemen and and an below average offense linemen.

djjimkelly
07-03-2007, 10:28 AM
this is not even close

bills at least upgraded their O line and IMO RB position

sure they lost out big on clements

spikes hasnt really played in last 2 years ellison basically filled him last year and ive been vocal about 5-6 yard downfield tackle fletcher he will not be missed!!!

bills only -1 in talent loss

#1 centre #2 centre gone in FA no replacements yet in FA

sabres -2 but in reality -4 becuz of what those 2 brought to the team

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2007, 10:30 AM
The offense didn't do much better. The Bills traded away McGahee and replaced him with a rookie.

They gave huge money to an average offensive linemen and and an below average offense linemen.

Except the RB they traded was a POS.

And Dockery is not average.

TacklingDummy
07-03-2007, 10:31 AM

The Sabres won without Briere. See 2006-7.

Briere is overrrated. He's going to suck in Philly. Just like Peca has sucked since he left Buffalo.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 10:36 AM

I'm not that concerned with the loss of McGahee- the guy never gave 100% and never would in Buffalo.

As far as the OL- I do have some concerns that we overpaid for average talent, but the OL was so bad last year that I'm sure it will at least be improved. Even if the signings only make the OL middle-of-the-road, that's still better than the bottom feeders we had last year.

TacklingDummy
07-03-2007, 11:54 AM
And Dockery is not average.

I forgot that Dockery is a Bill now. Sorry.

carybillsfan
07-03-2007, 12:42 PM
I actually liked what the Bills did this offseason. I think they'll win a lot more wars in the trenchs, which is often overlooked, but that extra 1yd per carry often times keeps the chains moving.

The Sabres on the other hand, I don't want to talk about it.

justasportsfan
07-03-2007, 12:57 PM
word.

justasportsfan
07-03-2007, 12:59 PM
oh really? Since when is losing 3 defensive starters and gaining ZERO not a bad off-season? . when we lost Milloy, Posey and Vincent. Oh wait, you have selective memory.

he D was hurting last year and so far it has gotten worse, not better.
we shall see soon enough which is why we have a couple of bets going.

kernowboy
07-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Drury wasn't allowed to walk. The Sabres negotiated with him for 9months and said they would match any offer made to him .. according to MSN Foxsports .. he just wanted to play for the Rangers

TacklingDummy
07-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Drury wasn't allowed to walk. The Sabres negotiated with him for 9months and said they would match any offer made to him .. according to MSN Foxsports .. he just wanted to play for the Rangers

Can't really blame him. He didn't want to play here so he left, oh well.

justasportsfan
07-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Can't really blame him. He didn't want to play here so he left, oh well.
we should've forced him to stay even though he'd be unhappy. That what some people here think is the best thing for the team. Keep players that want out.

Saratoga Slim
07-03-2007, 01:49 PM
The Bills homer rally cry is we didnt win with Fletch, Clements, Spikes etc so we can lose without them.

I agree. I'm kinda of a bandwagon Sabres fan (much more into football and really only get into hockey for the playoffs), but for crying out loud I can't believe they let both Briere and Drury get away. That's really unforgivable.

whatever you feel about the Bills' offseason, it's not even in the same ballpark of badness.