• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Developing Drury News

First from Tim Graham's Buffalo News Blog that came out today...
    July 03, 2007

Drury agreed to deal last fall

The prevailing theme at Monday afternoon's news conference in HSBC Arena was that the player is the one who decides where he will sign as a free agent, not the team. That notion was repeated several times in different forms, leading one to believe Chris Drury and Daniel Briere simply didn't want to be Sabres anymore.

Turns out that couldn't be further from the truth. Yes, the co-captains on Sunday chose to play elsewhere. It even could be said they no longer wanted to be Sabres a few months ago.

But that wasn't always the case. Not nearly.

The Buffalo News learned a bombshell on Monday, and it will go down as one of the all-time embarrassments in Sabres history -- bigger than the broken fax machine, Artem Kryukov and the tumbling Jumbotron all rolled into one.
    Drury last fall agreed to a four-year, $21.5 million contract to stay with the Sabres, a source with intimate knowledge of the negotiations told The News. The source said the sides made proposals -- the Sabres offered $20 million, Drury asked for $23 million -- and met in the middle. Then the Sabres either simply forgot or didn't feel the need make anything official. Maybe they didn't want to hurt Briere's feelings, but the Sabres never sent Drury's agent the agreed-upon contract.

After waiting for weeks, Drury instructed his agent to rescind their compliance because, the source said, Drury thought it was bad business.
    What if Drury were to sustain a career-threatening injury on the ice? What if he were to get into a car accident? What if he were to slip into a prolonged scoring slump? With an unsigned contract hanging over his head, he would've needed to live up to those numbers (while getting paid a lesser sum) in order to guarantee its activation at some point. That's not the way it's done.
    So Drury played the rest of the season with an uneasy feeling about how the Sabres conduct business and whether they truly wanted him around.

Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn and GM Darcy Regier insisted Monday they would have matched the Rangers' five-year, $35.25 million deal. In the process, they unfairly painted Drury as someone who couldn't wait to bolt for the door. The choice was Drury's, they suggested, and he chose the Rangers.

But he chose the Sabres first.
    ---Tim Graham

Then from WGR 550
    Drury Speaks
    Chris Drury has joined the New York Rangers, and the Buffalo News has followed up. Speaking with Drury, the former Sabres captain told the Buffalo News:

“I thought showing a little more urgency certainly would have helped the situation, if in fact they did want me back,” Drury said by phone Monday from New York. “I just think as every day and things got closer to free agency, it’s another day to think about things and to think about what potentially could be out there.”

The Buffalo News also reports that Drury said he would have taken a deal from the Sabres in the $6 million range if talks hadn’t gone so close to opening of free agency.

I’m sure people are going to read this and say, ‘It’s easy for him to say that now,’ but I would have,” he said. “It just got to be so late that it just didn’t feel right. You’re in this position, so I at least wanted to see what was out there.”

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Developing Drury News

Bet you anything we didnt finalize this deal with Regier/Quinn fearing it would upset Breire since he didnt have no deal, possibly upsetting "team chemistry"

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

reading that literally made me feel physically ill.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mchurchfie
        • Jul 2002

Well, the team chemistry is really ****ed up now. What a bunch of bumbling ass idiots, they should both be fired for that.
        My Band
        daveviterna.com

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

Not only are they incompetent clowns, but they're liars too. All day yesterday I figured Drury would reveal who the real bad guys were. Anyone who knew the type of man Drury is and the type of FO we have should have known this would come out.
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
            • May 2003

Comment

• don137
              • Jul 2002

If that is true and I am not saying it is and I am not saying it isn't then someone needs to step up and handle these contract negotiations other than these clowns...It is reminding me too much of how TD ran the Bills and when a player left they spoke how bad mgt treated them. Until it is official I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
                  Closet Bills Fan
                  • Nov 2004

if this is indeed true......... wow............ that would be like having a contract for the san diego chargers for LT, and not resigning because your afraid you'll hurt shawne merrimans' feelings

j-e-t-s
                  jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

Working...
                  X