View Full Version : When the team has another good year this season

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 11:14 AM
GOOD RIDDANCE.

Iehoshua
07-03-2007, 11:17 AM
:dance:

That's why they have to play the games!

On paper, this looks like bad times, but teams don't win or lose based on paper.

:up:

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Thurm, you are actually a bighomer than I am on this.

While I am not as nutty as some, I see they crew made some ****ty moves.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 11:19 AM

good for me than.

I just hate this cities CONSTANT whining about something. Our Whining has shifted in the last week from the Bills to the Sabres. We sound like Babies and I am sick of it. It is so freaking annoying.

TheGhostofJimKelly
Let me get this straight, if you like everything a team does and you don't criticize them when they are clearly wrong, and you basically become a yes man to an organization; then that is when you can only be a fan?

Completely idiotic post.

chernobylwraiths

Are we bandwaggon fans with season tickets? I guess you can't hate some moves your team makes AND be a true fan.

Iehoshua
07-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Welcome to Pominville, population 50!

Philagape
07-03-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm sick of teams CONSTANTLY giving us something to whine about.

chernobylwraiths
07-03-2007, 11:21 AM
good for me than.

I just hate this cities CONSTANT whining about something. Our Whining has shifted in the last week from the Bills to the Sabres. We sound like Babies and I am sick of it. It is so freaking annoying.

So you aren't the slightest bit upset that they had a deal in place for Drury and never moved forward on it?

Iehoshua
07-03-2007, 11:23 AM
So you aren't the slightest bit upset that they had a deal in place for Drury and never moved forward on it?
Not really worth getting upset over since we had no control over it either way...

:idunno:

If you'd ask me whether I agree or disagree with the FO's approach, I'd say disagree.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm sick of teams CONSTANTLY giving us something to whine about.
Get new teams then. I don't know what to tell you. I some how think that you would find something to complain about with the new team too though... :ill:

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-03-2007, 11:25 AM

I guess there are only about 500 fans then that are happy with what has happened, the other tens of thousands of us are hurt by what has transpired over the past few days (or since December). I am sure Bucky Gleason made up something to "get back" at them. He is like the rest of us "non-fans", he is crushed by losing our captain and how this team has handled itself over the past week.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Get new teams then. I don't know what to tell you. I some how think that you would find something to complain about with the new team too though... :ill:

So all the whining about the Sabres is over nothing? That's what you're saying.

mchurchfie
07-03-2007, 11:33 AM
good for me than.

Thurm, the way things are have happened in the last week and with the news of how this all could have been avoided a long time ago I think we have a pretty good reason to be just a litle bit upset and annoyed over it. I don't think there is one person outside of Buffalo that could look at this situation and not agree with us being upset. We don't need to be criticized or belittled because we are venting a little. If you are happy with mediocrity then I guess your attitude is the right one to have. To each his own.:shake:

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Honestly.. Not really. Slightly I guess. I can't get too upset either way because I wasn't there and I don't know what really went down. All the back and forth BS from media outlets and our front office means nothing to me.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 11:36 AM
. If you are happy with mediocrity then I guess your attitude is the right one to have. To each his own.:shake:
Churchie what kind of comment is this? Who is happy with mediocrity?

Typ0
07-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Honestly.. Not really. Slightly I guess. I can't get too upset either way because I wasn't there and I don't know what really went down. All the back and forth BS from media outlets and our front office means nothing to me.

both the media and the FO are doing their jobs. It's our job to put the pieces together because we are the consumers. When I start putting the pieces together something stinks. And it isn't as easy as forgiving a mistake that's easy to look past but this is a pattern of behavior that isn't being corrected.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 11:37 AM

So why are you here? You don't believe anyone, you don't care about anything ... why get into these threads? If you just want to cheer on your team, fine ... go take a board vacation until they start playing again. You're the one who's subjecting yourself to all this frustration.

THATHURMANATOR
So all the whining about the Sabres is over nothing? That's what you're saying.
Yes it is a waste of time because it will have no affect on any kind of reality.

Typ0
I reserve the right to be critical. I don't have the be the kind of fan anyone wants me to be.

mchurchfie
Honestly.. Not really. Slightly I guess.
How can not be upset about losing both of your Captains, our best faceoff man and two-way center, and about 30% of our scoring and still consider yourself a true fan??

THATHURMANATOR
So why are you here? You don't believe anyone, you don't care about anything ... why get into these threads? If you just want to cheer on your team, fine ... go take a board vacation until they start playing again. You're the one who's subjecting yourself to all this frustration.
I want people to stop complaining.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 11:39 AM
How can not be upset about losing both of your Captains, our best faceoff man and two-way center, and about 30% of our scoring and still consider yourself a true fan??
Because they will be replaced. I am the truest of fans. I am 100% backing our current players rather than being concerned with 2 guys who are no longer part of my team.

TheGhostofJimKelly
OK, let's say that the two players left on their own accord. This is the depth this team has at center:

Connolly
Stafford
Mair
Gaustad
Roy (most likely)

Is that good enough?

They need to fill a void left from two players leaving. They haven't done anything on that front.

At the press conference for the signing of Ruff and Regier they mentioned that they need to get tougher. Nothing done yet.

The problem is you have destroyed your fan base over the past two days and to heal their wounds you have a press conference to basically say that you are sorry and you wish that you could have done something to keep your leaders.

The only thing that helps me in this situation is that it is status quo. This team waits and waits until they finally do something. Sometimes it works for them, and lately it has blown up in their faces.

Sorry, it isn't good enough for me. If that makes me not a fan in your books, so be it.

Philagape
Yes it is a waste of time because it will have no affect on any kind of reality.

That's not what you said ... you said I'd LOOK FOR things to whine about. Is that what's happening now? That all is well and there's no bad things happening at all?

Philagape
07-03-2007, 11:40 AM

As you say, there's nothing you can do about it. You're a whiner too, because you whine about the whining.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 11:40 AM
OK, let's say that the two players left on their own accord. This is the depth this team has at center:

Connolly
Stafford
Mair
Gaustad
Roy (most likely)

Is that good enough?

They need to fill a void left from two players leaving. They haven't done anything on that front.

At the press conference for the signing of Ruff and Regier they mentioned that they need to get tougher. Nothing done yet.

The problem is you have destroyed your fan base over the past two days and to heal their wounds you have a press conference to basically say that you are sorry and you wish that you could have done something to keep your leaders.

Sorry, it isn't good enough for me. If that makes me not a fan in your books, so be it.
First off Stafford is not a center.

Secondly
Roy, Connolly, Gausted, Mair is ABSOLUTLY strong enough down the middle.

mchurchfie
07-03-2007, 11:41 AM
You have some lofty goals. You would have a better shot at trying to end world hunger:D:

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 11:41 AM
As you say, there's nothing you can do about it. You're a whiner too, because you whine about the whining.
You do have a point. I wouldnt say I am whining though. I am asking or telling.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 11:42 AM
You have some lofty goals. You would have a better shot at trying to end world hunger:D:
Good point churchie!!! :hi5:

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 11:42 AM
good for me than.

no one jumped off the bandwagon. Whining isn't the same thing as giving up on the team.

And you're annoyed at the wrong thing- you shouldn't be annoyed at fans whining. You should be annoyed at FO's that aren't committed to winning.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 11:43 AM
You do have a point. I wouldnt say I am whining though. I am asking or telling.

"GOOD RIDDANCE! I'M NOT LETTING YOU BACK ON THE BANDWAGON! *****ES!"

TheGhostofJimKelly
First off Stafford is not a center.

Secondly
Roy, Connolly, Gausted, Mair is ABSOLUTLY strong enough down the middle.

Sorry, I was thinking of MacArthur. Either way, that is not good enough.

THATHURMANATOR
no one jumped off the bandwagon. Whining isn't the same thing as giving up on the team.

And you're annoyed at the wrong thing- you shouldn't be annoyed at fans whining. You should be annoyed at FO's that aren't committed to winning.
Have you read some of the posts in the last couple days? I have seen boycotts/turning in seasons/throwing apparal in the garbage etc all been suggested... :ill:

mchurchfie
07-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Because they will be replaced.
Not by anyone of their ability anytime soon, take of those rose colored glasses and wake up Thurm.

Iehoshua
"I would hope you support who we are, not who we are not.

This is your team."

-Coach Norman Dale
"Hoosiers"

THATHURMANATOR
Sorry, I was thinking of MacArthur. Either way, that is not good enough.
Forgot about him. How isn't that good enough though? Show me how many teams are so much stronger at center.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Forgot about him. How isn't that good enough though? Show me how many teams are so much stronger at center.

For one, the Rangers, thanks to us.

mchurchfie
07-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Have you read some of the posts in the last couple days? I have seen boycotts/turning in seasons/throwing apparal in the garbage etc all been suggested... :ill:
Maybe that's what is needed to be done to let the FU's in the FO know that we aren't very happy about all of this.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 11:46 AM
"I would hope you support who we are, not who we are not.

This is your team."

-Coach Norman Dale
"Hoosiers"

And they didn't win until their star player came back! Ha! He was going to be fired before that :up:

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Not by anyone of their ability anytime soon, take of those rose colored glasses and wake up Thurm.
Lets honestly talk about this.

They will be taking a down step OF COURSE!!!!

Drury will be the hardest. He had intangibles. I see some of those in Roy and Gausted. Roy has a good defensive side to him while the Goose has the leadership.

IMO Connolly will easily replace Briere.

We will not be a run and gun team this year I can assure you. That didn't get it done in the playoffs anyways.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 11:47 AM

dude you COMPLETELY don't get it. We don't want to root for a winning team because they're winning. We want OUR teams to win. When that doesn't happen, we get upset.

I don't understand how someone who claims to be a fan of a team can so casually dismiss losing the two best players because of FO incompetence. If you want the Sabres to win, you should be pissed.

BlackMetalNinja
07-03-2007, 11:49 AM
dude you COMPLETELY don't get it. We don't want to root for a winning team because they're winning. We want OUR teams to win. When that doesn't happen, we get upset.

I don't understand how someone who claims to be a fan of a team can so casually dismiss losing the two best players because of FO incompetence. If you want the Sabres to win, you should be pissed.

There is a difference between being pissed and *****ing and moaning about it endlessly. I do the first, you do the latter...

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 11:49 AM
For one, the Rangers, thanks to us.
Thanks to us personally? Thanks to our front office? Or thanks to Drury himself??

Also How much better Really are their Centers 4 deep?

Gomez does NOT impress me at all. Roy had a better year as our 3rd center.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 11:50 AM
There is a difference between being pissed and *****ing and moaning about it endlessly. I do the first, you do the latter...

until it gets better there is reason to continue *****ing and moaning.

Iehoshua
07-03-2007, 11:50 AM
And they didn't win until their star player came back!! He was going to be fired before that :up:

Fired wrongfully so. The star player stood up for the coach with the winner's mentality.

There's still stars on the Sabres. Don't concede.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Lets honestly talk about this.

They will be taking a down step OF COURSE!!!!

Drury will be the hardest. He had intangibles. I see some of those in Roy and Gausted. Roy has a good defensive side to him while the Goose has the leadership.

IMO Connolly will easily replace Briere.

We will not be a run and gun team this year I can assure you. That didn't get it done in the playoffs anyways.

Even you admit they took a step down, so anyone who wants this team to win has plenty of reason to be upset.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks to us personally? Thanks to our front office? Or thanks to Drury himself??

Front office.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Do you Really think I do not get it? Do you really think I am some idiot? We all were resigned to both of these guys leaving months ago. We saw it coming a mile away!!! Do you really think this team is going to be a non playoff team? Keep in mind we didnt' lose our BEST and most important player at all. He still is on the roster in goal. So don't tell me who gets it man.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Fired wrongfully so. The star player stood up for the coach with the winner's mentality.

There's still stars on the Sabres. Don't concede.

If Darcy were the GM of that team, Jimmy would have been the only white guy on the other team at the end

Iehoshua
07-03-2007, 11:56 AM
If Darcy were the GM of that team, Jimmy would have been the only white guy on the other team at the end
:rofl:

mchurchfie
07-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Keep in mind we didnt' lose our BEST and most important player at all. He still is on the roster in goal. So don't tell me who gets it man.

I have ZERO confidence in them getting a longterm deal done for Miller when the time arrives.:cynic:

don137
07-03-2007, 11:59 AM
I truly worry about face-offs. Drury was a stud on face-offs. Briere was decent too but when it was crunch time it was great seeing Drury take the face offs. Roy absolutely blows on face offs and loses well over 60% of them. I can't recall in Connolly is any good at face-offs.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Do you Really think I do not get it? Do you really think I am some idiot? We all were resigned to both of these guys leaving months ago. We saw it coming a mile away!!! Do you really think this team is going to be a non playoff team? Keep in mind we didnt' lose our BEST and most important player at all. He still is on the roster in goal. So don't tell me who gets it man.

Actually, I think most of us were resigned to losing one- it was only in the last week or two that it seemed like we'd lose both.

Playoffs? Maybe- of all the pro sports, the NHL is probably the easiest to make the playoffs (although the hardest to actually win), so yeah, we'll still make the playoffs.

But that's not good enough. We were in the conference finals two years in a row. We should be making those final additions to become a Cup winner. Instead, we're taking a step backwards.

We couldn't beat Ottawa WITH Drury and Briere and we barely beat the Rangers (before they added Drury and Gomez)- how are we going to beat them WITHOUT those two?

Maybe you're content with an early playoff exit- I'm not. With the Bills, I'd be happy if they made the playoffs, even if they lost in the first round (although I'd be pissed when it first happened), because they've been struggling for so long and that would be an improvement. With the Sabres, improvement means winning the Cup. Anything else is regression. And fans should not be happy with regression.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 12:01 PM
I truly worry about face-offs. Drury was a stud on face-offs. Briere was decent too but when it was crunch time it was great seeing Drury take the face offs. Roy absolutely blows on face offs and loses well over 60% of them. I can't recall in Connolly is any good at face-offs.
Drury was above average on Faceoffs. Briere was below average.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Maybe you're content with an early playoff exit- I'm not. .
Ah the most over used message board phrase of all time which Op uses multiple times daily. The phrase is meant to imply that one is weak minded and not a winner.... :puke:

Philagape
07-03-2007, 12:07 PM
The crux behind the whining -- aside from the mickey mouse front office -- is that we've been close to the Cup for two years. Not just another good team. There are plenty of good teams, but we were elite.
I still think we have a good team and will make the playoffs, but to go from where we were to merely a playoff team, when it didn't have to happen, is unacceptable.
We're whining because our Cup run was cut off prematurely. If it was handled properly, we could have had several more serious chances.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Ah the most over used message board phrase of all time which Op uses multiple times daily. The phrase is meant to imply that one is weak minded and not a winner.... :puke:

no- just that the people who are defending this crap have set their standards too low.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 12:14 PM
no- just that the people who are defending this crap have set their standards too low.
Have we?

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-03-2007, 12:15 PM

OK, I will go by talent of centers and overall depth, that is assuming Connolly doesn't get hurt again:
No question:
Ottawa
NY Rangers
Carolina
Philadelphia
Boston
Tampa Bay
Pittsburgh

Up for argument:
Montreal
Florida
Toronto

That is based on that Connolly and Gaustad return to previous form.

Include the west:
Detroit
Calgary
Colorado
Anaheim
Los Angeles
San Jose

The list would be shorter if you asked what teams the Sabres have better depth than.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 12:16 PM
OK, I will go by talent of centers and overall depth, that is assuming Connolly doesn't get hurt again:
No question:
Ottawa
NY Rangers
Carolina
Philadelphia
Boston
Tampa Bay

Up for argument:
Pittsburgh
Montreal
Florida
Toronto

That is based on that Connolly and Gaustad return to previous form.

Include the west:
Detroit
Calgary
Colorado
Anaheim
Los Angeles
San Jose
Did you seriously look at the rosters and compare?

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Have we?

if you think it's okay to go from a cup contender to a mere playoff team, then yes.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Did you seriously look at the rosters and compare?

Do you want me to?

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 12:23 PM
if you think it's okay to go from a cup contender to a mere playoff team, then yes.
What is this if you think its ok to do something nonsense? Any team that makes the playoffs is a cup contender.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Do you want me to?
Yes. While I will agree with some of your choices I don't with others. Philly for example doesn't blow me away even with Briere.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 12:25 PM
What is this if you think its ok to do something nonsense? Any team that makes the playoffs is a cup contender.

that's the biggest load of bull**** I've ever heard in my life.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Yes. While I will agree with some of your choices I don't with others. Philly for example doesn't blow me away even with Briere.
I would take Briere-Mike Richards-RJ Umberger-Jeff Carter over our centers any day.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 12:41 PM
that's the biggest load of bull**** I've ever heard in my life.
No it isn't

SabreEleven
07-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Churchie what kind of comment is this? Who is happy with mediocrity?

You

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 12:47 PM
You
Yes because we were able to see into the future and the Sabres had 500 record in the 08 Season! How happy I am.

Dude
07-03-2007, 12:54 PM
I hate threads that tell me what kind of fan I should be.

**** that.

I'm pissed, and I have every right to be. As such, I have every right to voice my displeasure.

As I said in another thread, if we weren't fans, we wouldn't give a ****.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Congratulations on one of the dumber posts in the history of this board.

This isnt the Bills, who arent a very good team to begin with and let some key vets to get younger, cheaper and maybe someday, better.

The Sabres were a championship-level team who FUMBLED their way into letting the two best players on the team walk away.

So forgive me, or any other Sabre fans, for calling out the front office and demanding that the idiots who fouled this up should be held accountable.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:00 PM
I hate threads that tell me what kind of fan I should be.

**** that.

I'm pissed, and I have every right to be. As such, I have every right to voice my displeasure.

As I said in another thread, if we weren't fans, we wouldn't give a ****.
Don't read them then.

Dude
07-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Take your own advice, Thurm. Don't read the threads where we are complaining.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Congratulations on one of the dumber posts in the history of this board.

This isnt the Bills, who arent a very good team to begin with and let some key vets to get younger, cheaper and maybe someday, better.

The Sabres were a championship-level team who FUMBLED their way into letting the two best players on the team walk away.

So forgive me, or any other Sabre fans, for calling out the front office and demanding that the idiots who fouled this up should be held accountable.
Which Post? There are 4 pages of them in this thread.

Pat Moran Calling a post dumb is an oxymoron isnt it?

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Take your own advice, Thurm. Don't read the threads where we are complaining.
I guess I should but then I wouldn't have anything to read on the this message board.

Earthquake Enyart
07-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Which Post? There are 4 pages of them in this thread.

Pat Moran Calling a post dumb is an oxymoron isnt it?
:bf1:

I'm with you thurm.

These same people *****ed and whined about Briere and Drury disappearing agasint Ottawa.

Stafford, Max, Roy, Timmy, Goose, and Mair will easily pick up the slack.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 01:08 PM

I'm with you thurm.

These same people *****ed and whined about Briere and Drury disappearing agasint Ottawa.

You mean two guys who were injured, one guy who also disappeared against Ottawa, one guy who got benched and one guy who couldn't even stay on the roster for the whole season? Yeah, that will make up for Drury and Briere :rolleyes:

BlackMetalNinja
07-03-2007, 01:09 PM
The thing I don't get is that everybody keeps saying we lost Drury and Briere, now how will win the cup... we didn't win it with them the last 2 years either. What exactly was your plan for making that change this year? I understand we've downgraded in talent after this, but what makes you all think we were going to win the cup this year with the same guys, just making more money, and not in contract years????

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 01:10 PM

I'm with you thurm.

THe POWER PLAY dissappeared against Ottawa. if our PP is going we win the series.

Speaking of the PP. we are doing exactly what to address that?

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 01:15 PM
The thing I don't get is that everybody keeps saying we lost Drury and Briere, now how will win the cup... we didn't win it with them the last 2 years either. What exactly was your plan for making that change this year? I understand we've downgraded in talent after this, but what makes you all think we were going to win the cup this year with the same guys, just making more money, and not in contract years????

If the PP was working last year we would have won- all they needed was a better defenseman or two and an improved power play, which could have come internally or externally.

Again, if they had REPLACED Drury and/or Briere with a top-shelf player who could help the PP and/or the D, there would be no reason to *****. But even you admit a loss of talent.

Of course, there is the separate issue of the way this situation was handled, which will be a red flag to other players.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:16 PM

I'm with you thurm.

I knew I could count on you to have a level head here!

Philagape
07-03-2007, 01:16 PM

First of all, I've read enough about the character of our leaders to believe that they wouldn't slack off after getting new contracts.

Second, and I went through this yesterday, when you have a team that's been knocking on the door for two years, the answer is to keep trying. Two years is not long enough to quit. Drury and Briere were part of the solution, not part of the problem. You don't dump the core; you make tweaks around the core and hope that the experience and lessons of losing makes the team better.

Both lines of thought are nothing but false homer rationalizations.

BlackMetalNinja
07-03-2007, 01:17 PM
If the PP was working last year we would have won- all they needed was a better defenseman or two and an improved power play, which could have come internally or externally.

Again, if they had REPLACED Drury and/or Briere with a top-shelf player who could help the PP and/or the D, there would be no reason to *****. But even you admit a loss of talent.

Of course, there is the separate issue of the way this situation was handled, which will be a red flag to other players.

And assuming we signed Briere and Drury for the money it took to do so, and signed Vanek to whatever huge pay raise he's going to get... where is the money for these mythical defensemen improvements?

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:17 PM
THe POWER PLAY dissappeared against Ottawa. if our PP is going we win the series.

Speaking of the PP. we are doing exactly what to address that?
Wait weren't Drury and Briere the key cogs to this Dissapeared PP? :idunno:

BlackMetalNinja
07-03-2007, 01:18 PM
First of all, I've read enough about the character of our leaders to believe that they wouldn't slack off after getting new contracts.

Second, and I went through this yesterday, when you have a team that's been knocking on the door for two years, the answer is to keep trying. Two years is not long enough to quit. Drury and Briere were part of the solution, not part of the problem. You don't dump the core; you make tweaks around the core and hope that the experience and lessons of losing makes the team better.

Both lines of thought are nothing but false homer rationalizations.

yes, congrats you did nothing to answer my question. And please don't confuse my question with whether or not what happened was right or not, I"m not contending that. I'm displeased at the situation too, I just choose not to bellyache for days on end about it in here.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:18 PM
By the way can we stop even discussing Briere in this argument? He was in no way shape or form even close to being worth the money he is getting now.

SabreEleven
07-03-2007, 01:19 PM
And assuming we signed Briere and Drury for the money it took to do so, and signed Vanek to whatever huge pay raise he's going to get... where is the money for these mythical defensemen improvements?

how about signing Briere and Drury back when they were affordable?

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:20 PM
how about signing Briere and Drury back when they were affordable?
They were affordable before they had career years though.

Philagape
By the way can we stop even discussing Briere in this argument? He was in no way shape or form even close to being worth the money he is getting now.

What he's getting now is irrelevant (and whether a top-10 scorer isn't worth it is debatable). Last year he was ours for 5 mil.

patmoran2006
is he worth 5 years/25 million in comparison to what other guys are getting in the open market?

Or is 95 points- tops on a team that won the Presidents Trophy, and an All-Star game starter and MVP not good enough credentials to earn $5 million per year?

If you say no, then after getting your head examined go take a look at the numbers some of these lesser players are getting in the market. If you say yes he's worth it, then admit that our FO are a bunch of ****-ups because that's the price we could've had him for.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:22 PM
What he's getting now is irrelevant (and whether a top-10 scorer isn't worth it is debatable). Last year he was ours for 5 mil.
And again last year he was coming off an injury plaqued season. He wasn't worth 5 million then at all.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:24 PM
is he worth 5 years/25 million in comparison to what other guys are getting in the open market?

Or is 95 points- tops on a team that won the Presidents Trophy, and an All-Star game starter and MVP not good enough credentials to earn $5 million per year?

If you say no, then after getting your head examined go take a look at the numbers some of these lesser players are getting in the market. If you say yes he's worth it, then admit that our FO are a bunch of ****-ups because that's the price we could've had him for.
Last year coming off an injury plaqued season and never scoring more than 65 points in a year hardly warrented 4 mil a year let alone 5. NO ONE here was saying back then we should have signed him for that price. Lets not re write history Moran.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 01:24 PM
And again last year he was coming off an injury plaqued season. He wasn't worth 5 million then at all.

BS. He was 11th in the league in points per game. Injuries happen, and he deserved it for the 06 playoffs alone.

You are really twisting yourself into knots trying to rationalize this BS. Your posts are out of their skull and have no business being in a serious discussion. Homers who don't care about anything are fine, but they need to stay from serious discussions because their posts are ******s.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:25 PM
We offered him the 5 year 25 mil this year and he turned it down.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Last year coming off an injury plaqued season and never scoring more than 65 points in a year hardly warrented 4 mil a year let alone 5. NO ONE here was saying back then we should have signed him for that price. Lets not re write history Moran.

I WAS, GENIUS

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=1539095&postcount=3

STFU before your posts become even more ******ed than they already are

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 01:27 PM
We offered him the 5 year 25 mil this year and he turned it down.
Why WOULDNT he turn it down? He EARNED the right to hit the market and get a bigger payday. The Sabres front office foolishly gambled he'd take the same deal he offered the year before and Briere exceeded it with his play.

you still didnt answer the question. Is he WORTH 5 and 25?

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:28 PM
BS. He was 11th in the league in points per game. Injuries happen, and he deserved it for the 06 playoffs alone.

You are really twisting yourself into knots trying to rationalize this BS. Your posts are out of their skull and have no business being in a serious discussion. Homers who don't care about anything are fine, but they need to stay from serious discussions because their posts are ******s.
NO ONE WAS SAYING THIS LAST YEAR!!! Points per game are a nice statistic but for the previous 6 years he never scored more than 65 points(03/04) He played 82 that year. He is smallish and hadn't ever done it before this year. To say that last year people wanted that long term deal is just lying to yourself.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Why WOULDNT he turn it down? He EARNED the right to hit the market and get a bigger payday. The Sabres front office foolishly gambled he'd take the same deal he offered the year before and Briere exceeded it with his play.

you still didnt answer the question. Is he WORTH 5 and 25?
Exactly!

What question? I could live with him getting 5 years 25 million seeing the market this year of course!!! That as we have seen was not an option. Last year at this time I(along with most people) would have thought that deal was ridiculously high. You are using something that no one(edit besides Philapage) agreed with last year to this years problem

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:33 PM
I WAS, GENIUS

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=1539095&postcount=3

STFU before your posts become even more ******ed than they already are
Fine you were. You got me there. The majority was not I can assure you of that.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 01:40 PM
ALL FROM 2006:

"I think around 20 mil for 4 years" -- JD

"That seems to an equitable contract offer." -- Pyrrhonist

"If you can agree to a ****ing 5 year deal worth $25 million, you better ****ing keep him!!!!" -- Mikey

"That's pretty much the going rate for a player like him" -- Nighthawk

"Sign Danny .. i dont gie a poo how much.. he's worth it" -- SkateZilla

"If anybody deserved a big contract after this season, it was Briere." -- YardRat

"5 million for a teams highest paid player is not bad. " -- gannd

"you'd better believe Briere is worth every penny of $5 mil." -- lordofgun

"Seriously." -- THURM, in response to log

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=103971

PWNED.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Check these out.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=102991&highlight=Briere

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=103895&page=2&highlight=Briere

People disagreeing.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Check these out.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=102991&highlight=Briere

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=103895&page=2&highlight=Briere

People disagreeing.

So it goes from NO ONE to it wasn't unanimous the other way :rofl:

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:47 PM
ALL FROM 2006:

"I think around 20 mil for 4 years" -- JD

"That seems to an equitable contract offer." -- Pyrrhonist

"If you can agree to a ****ing 5 year deal worth $25 million, you better ****ing keep him!!!!" -- Mikey

"That's pretty much the going rate for a player like him" -- Nighthawk

"Sign Danny .. i dont gie a poo how much.. he's worth it" -- SkateZilla

"If anybody deserved a big contract after this season, it was Briere." -- YardRat

"5 million for a teams highest paid player is not bad. " -- gannd

"you'd better believe Briere is worth every penny of $5 mil." -- lordofgun

"Seriously." -- THURM, in response to log

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=103971

PWNED.

You know what. You do have me here and it is funny to me because I appear to be the one arguing for the 5 mil and everyone is arguing against me!!! WTF! So in a sense I am right. Most were against his ruling, but I will admit to selective memory.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 01:48 PM
People were upset because it was for only one year. They were afraid of .... well, exactly what happened. The *****ers were right.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:49 PM
So it goes from NO ONE to it wasn't unanimous the other way :rofl:

No one used in the sense of not many. The ******ed thing is I am arguing for the 5 mil BUT if you read the thread you posted a majority appear to be against it.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 01:49 PM

Right now the Sabres have $17 million in cap space. Say we keep Drury for $6.5m a year and sign Vanek for $5.5m a year- that's $12 million and leaves $5 million for improvement. Vanek could even be signed to a deal that averages $5.5 million but pays less in the first year or two to create even more space.

I think we could have sustained the loss of one of them and gotten away with it between Stafford, Gaustad and Connolly. Losing both really hurts.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 01:54 PM
No one used in the sense of not many. The ******ed thing is I am arguing for the 5 mil BUT if you read the thread you posted a majority appear to be against it.

Who else besides Lecter?

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:54 PM
People were upset because it was for only one year. They were afraid of .... well, exactly what happened. The *****ers were right.
You know what I re read that thread and you are right and I am wrong. People(including myself) did seem to want him at 5 mil last year. I apologize.

Nighthawk
07-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Let me get this straight, if you like everything a team does and you don't criticize them when they are clearly wrong, and you basically become a yes man to an organization; then that is when you can only be a fan?

Completely idiotic post.

One of the best posts of all time! Nice!

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 02:21 PM

One of the best posts of all time! Nice!
It is a free country. Every one can do what they like.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 02:33 PM
It is a free country. Every one can do what they like.
I understand your concept.. Your a Sabres fan and will root no matter what, and no matter how bad anyone F's up your still going to root for them.. Spend your money.. buy your merchandise, etc.

that's fine.

But as long as there are still people who are going to do that no matter HOW HARD the organization slaps the fans, and make NO MISTAKE about it thats what happened..

As long as it continues, they will feel NO PRESSURE to change anything.

Mark my words, the heat they are feeling now is deserved, and we can only hope that the public *****ing and outcry will be remembered by them the next time its time to lock up a Ryan Miller or Brian Campbell.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 02:37 PM
I understand your concept.. Your a Sabres fan and will root no matter what, and no matter how bad anyone F's up your still going to root for them.. Spend your money.. buy your merchandise, etc.

that's fine.

But as long as there are still people who are going to do that no matter HOW HARD the organization slaps the fans, and make NO MISTAKE about it thats what happened..

As long as it continues, they will feel NO PRESSURE to change anything.

Mark my words, the heat they are feeling now is deserved, and we can only hope that the public *****ing and outcry will be remembered by them the next time its time to lock up a Ryan Miller or Brian Campbell.
**** the Sabres and the Bills.

Michael82
07-04-2007, 06:33 PM
What a dumbass post! I hate the moves that have been made and not been made so far. I really blame Larry Quinn for the slug that he forced down our throat last year and think he was the one who bungled the Drury situation last year and even the Briere deal. I also blame Regier for being a cheap piece of **** and Tom Golisano for not spending the cash to keep these guys.

BUT, I am currently wearing my Sabres shirt and hat today and am still supporting the team. I have a Ryan Miller jersey and will be wearing it when I go to HSBC Arena several times this year as I renewed my mini-pack again.

SO Thurm....shove the bandwagon crap up your ass. :mad: