PDA

View Full Version : Vanek Gets Attention

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 12:49 PM
From Bflo News .
Vanek gets some attention

Stephen Bartlett, the agent for Sabres restricted free agents Thomas Vanek and Andrew Peters, just said in a phone call there has been interest in Vanek from outside the Buffalo organization.

"We've had some discussions with clubs, and where that ends up, who knows?" Bartlett said. "But in the meantime we'll continue to probably talk to Buffalo or get some talks going with Buffalo to see where we're at."

Bartlett, who talked with Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier today (mostly about Peters), was intrigued by Larry Quinn's comment about Vanek on Monday. Quinn said the Sabres "have his rights, and we're not going to let them go."

"It'll be interesting to see what happens," said Bartlett, who chuckled before adding, "They actually don't have his rights. They have the right to match."
---John Vogl

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 12:49 PM
NJ worries me.

They lost GOmez and Rafalksi, and havent really done anything about it yet.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-03-2007, 12:55 PM
That agent sounds a little to laid back to be an agent.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 12:57 PM
If no one signs Vanek to an offer sheet.

and Vanek decides he doesnt want to take a Sabres long-term deal that they offer.. say $4 per for 5 years..

What happens next?

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 12:58 PM
That agent sounds a little to laid back to be an agent.

when your client is in Vanek's position, it's easy to be laid back. He holds all the cards.

Philagape
07-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Let me get this straight ... we're talking to the guy who represents Vanek and Peters, and they're mostly talking about ......... Peters. :huh:

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 01:08 PM
well he's not eligible for arbitration yet, lecter was right about that.. I just got that confirmed from a hockey writer who knows more than any of us.

In fact, the Sabres only have to "qualify" him for him to be under contract next year- UNLESS a team signs him to an offer sheet, in which case we'd have a right to match or receive compenstation for if he leaves, depending on how much the deal is for.

I'm seriously starting to hope someone DOES SIGN him to an offer sheet and we match it. If not, we wont feel any pressure to take care of him immediately-- and you're going to have a very talented, very unhappy and VERY underpaid 40+ goal scorer on your hands next season.

SabreEleven
07-03-2007, 01:17 PM
After this quote from Quinn, Vanek is pretty much GONE.

Q: Larry, you just said (that) Thomas Vanek is coming back. Is there anything to announce there?

Quinn: No, but he's a restricted free agent. We have his rights and we are not going to let them go. I can't be more clearer of that.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:20 PM
After this quote from Quinn, Vanek is pretty much GONE.

Q: Larry, you just said (that) Thomas Vanek is coming back. Is there anything to announce there?

Quinn: No, but he's a restricted free agent. We have his rights and we are not going to let them go. I can't be more clearer of that.
Why do you say that?

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 01:21 PM
well he's not eligible for arbitration yet, lecter was right about that.. I just got that confirmed from a hockey writer who knows more than any of us.

In fact, the Sabres only have to "qualify" him for him to be under contract next year- UNLESS a team signs him to an offer sheet, in which case we'd have a right to match or receive compenstation for if he leaves, depending on how much the deal is for.

I'm seriously starting to hope someone DOES SIGN him to an offer sheet and we match it. If not, we wont feel any pressure to take care of him immediately-- and you're going to have a very talented, very unhappy and VERY underpaid 40+ goal scorer on your hands next season.
We qualified him weeks ago along with Roy.

SabreEleven
07-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Why do you say that?

Because last year Q and R said that they weren't going to let Drury go either. They might sign him to a one year contract( and you'll be all happy) and next year............GONE.

mchurchfie
07-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Quinn and Regier's credibility is zero right now. I wouldn't put any kind of hope in anything they say, whether an agent, player, or fan.:down:

Michael82
07-04-2007, 06:30 PM
i see him going next. Regier is a cheap piece of **** that will think he can hold onto him for pennies, but lose him for a couple draft picks.... :sigh:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Then let him go, Sabres will get at least get 4 or 5 first round draft picks for him!

Dr. Lecter
07-04-2007, 09:15 PM
i see him going next. Regier is a cheap piece of **** that will think he can hold onto him for pennies, but lose him for a couple draft picks.... :sigh:

:rolleyes:

He is not going anywhere Mikey.

Michael82
07-05-2007, 12:42 AM
:rolleyes:

He is not going anywhere Mikey.
didn't you say that with Drury? :sigh:

Dr. Lecter
07-05-2007, 07:26 AM
No. I said I didn't think he would not that he won't.

don137
07-05-2007, 07:36 AM
Then let him go, Sabres will get at least get 4 or 5 first round draft picks for him!

You make no sense...After losing Drury and Briere you want to give up your top goal scorer who is 23 for draft picks. the NHL is not the NFL. Getting a player who will be great is a crap shoot. These players are 17-18 and their is no gurantees that they will be productive NHL players. The best you can hope for is to get a player that can develop into the kind of player Vanek is now. Makes no sense.