PDA

View Full Version : Who Leads On Defense?

justasportsfan
07-03-2007, 12:52 PM
It's a question that hasn't existed for Buffalo's defensive unit since 2002. The day London Fletcher walked in the door at One Bills Drive with his name on a five-year contract it was clear that the Bills defense had a leader. That leadership was only enhanced by the presence of Takeo Spikes who was Fletcher's equal when it came to passion for the game.

Now both are gone via free agency and trade and filling the leadership void let alone the production of that pair won't be easy.

"I've said from day one that you can never replace guys like London or Takeo in terms of their leadership roles on this team and we'll miss them greatly," said Chris Kelsay. "London was our defensive play caller and our emotional leader, verbally and nonverbally in the way he played. That's where you're going to need to have some of the other guys step up and say some things they're not used to saying and step out of their comfort zone and really encourage some of the younger players to play their best."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4895

kernowboy
07-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Heck give the team a chance, they haven't even played a preseason game yet.

On the Defence, all that I think we need is a run stuffing DT .. who knows Anderson might even wake up but apart that, I can see our LB corps doing well and the secondary being ok

If we perform poorly in the 1st eight games make sure we have Tank Johnson's phone number ready

R. Rich
07-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Heck give the team a chance, they haven't even played a preseason game yet.

Why let that stop you?

We suck. All is lost.

Saratoga Slim
07-03-2007, 01:44 PM
I still wish we kept Spikes. I have a feeling he has a very big year for the Iggles.

madness
07-03-2007, 01:50 PM
I still wish we kept Spikes. I have a feeling he has a very big year for the Iggles.

...in a defense that matches his skills.

eyedog
07-03-2007, 01:51 PM
It will have to be Crowell or Poz.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 02:20 PM
...in a defense that matches his skills.

Since Marv and company took over, we lost 7 starters on D: Milloy, Vincent, Adams, Posey, Spikes, Fletcher and Clements.

Of those 7, every one except Clements supposedly doesn't fit the D. And some people have even said that the Cover 2 doesn't require "shut down corners", so while it's not entirely true that Clements doesn't fit the D, some think we don't need him to run the D effectively.

So, what would make Jauron and Fewell come in here and try to install a D when over half the starters don't fit the system? That's insane.

Luisito23
07-03-2007, 02:26 PM
I think POZ is going to be a great defensive leader here in B-lo, but it won't happen this year, so that's why I'm going with :scratch: Crowell??.....

GO BILLS!!!!!

justasportsfan
07-03-2007, 03:13 PM
So, what would make Jauron and Fewell come in here and try to install a D when over half the starters don't fit the system? That's insane.

It's called rebuilding. You wouldn't understand.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 03:16 PM

why does rebuilding have to require instituting a defensive system that doesn't fit the personnel?

justasportsfan
07-03-2007, 03:23 PM
why does rebuilding have to require instituting a defensive system that doesn't fit the personnel?are you kidding me? If you don't know the answer to your own question then you've made my point.

Ed
07-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Since Marv and company took over, we lost 7 starters on D: Milloy, Vincent, Adams, Posey, Spikes, Fletcher and Clements.

Of those 7, every one except Clements supposedly doesn't fit the D. And some people have even said that the Cover 2 doesn't require "shut down corners", so while it's not entirely true that Clements doesn't fit the D, some think we don't need him to run the D effectively.

I think Milloy, Vincent, Adams, and Posey were all gone regardless of what system we installed. Those guys were old and on the decline. It was time to move on. Posey would have only been a starter if we switched to a 3-4, and Spikes didn't want to be here anymore.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 03:26 PM
are you kidding me? If you don't know the answer to your own question then you've made my point.

Fewell's interview:

Marv: What kind of D will you run?
Fewell: A cover 2.
Marv: Do you think we have the personnel for it?
Fewell: No, not really- I think we'd need 6-7 new starters
Marv: It's going to take me 2-3 years to pull that off- in the meantime you'll have to work with what we have
Fewell: That's fine as long as you don't expect results from me for 2-3 years.
Marv: Fair enough. You're hired!

:rolleyes:

justasportsfan
07-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Fewell's interview:

Marv: What kind of D will you run?
Fewell: A cover 2.
Marv: Do you think we have the personnel for it?
Fewell: No, not really- I think we'd need 6-7 new starters
Marv: It's going to take me 2-3 years to pull that off- in the meantime you'll have to work with what we have
Fewell: That's fine as long as you don't expect results from me for 2-3 years.
Marv: Fair enough. You're hired!

:rolleyes:ah, now you're learning what rebuilding is all about. Good job grasshopper.

BTW, when asked if whether we have the right personnel to run it, the answer is usually. " Let's go to camp and find out. Wait a year and see who is able to adjust and do it on the field. Keep the ones that are able, get rid of those that can't.

venis2k1
07-03-2007, 03:40 PM
almost everyperson on our roster served as a "leader" or captain in college.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 05:18 PM
ah, now you're learning what rebuilding is all about. Good job grasshopper.

BTW, when asked if whether we have the right personnel to run it, the answer is usually. " Let's go to camp and find out. Wait a year and see who is able to adjust and do it on the field. Keep the ones that are able, get rid of those that can't.

My problem is that as a fan, I have a hard time accepting the fact that the D is going to suck for another year or two. Yeah, the team was a giant mess and this may be the correct way (and the only way) to right the ship, but it's still excruciating to sit through 7 minute drives by the other team in the 4th quarter.

Also, I don't like the cover 2 in general so if they're wrong about it, then in 2 or 3 years we're starting over again.

ParanoidAndroid
07-03-2007, 09:56 PM
The cover-2 is just a system. It's the way you run it and who you have in it that matters.
As for leaders, they will emerge naturally which is much better than someone coming in and declaring it for themselves.

BuffaloBillsStampede
07-04-2007, 08:53 AM
I think Whitner, Corwell, and Kelsay will be the leaders.

Wys Guy
07-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Why let that stop you?

We suck. All is lost.

Well, we do suck. Whether all is lost remains to be seen.

:D

TacklingDummy
07-04-2007, 12:04 PM

Rebuilding from what?

TacklingDummy
07-04-2007, 12:10 PM
My problem is that as a fan, I have a hard time accepting the fact that the D is going to suck for another year or two.

The Bills overall defense ranks the last 5 years have been...

2006: 18th
2005: 29th
2004: 2nd
2003: 2nd
2002: 15th

..with the Bills getting rid of 3 starters ,don't be surprised if its ranked in the lower 20's again this year.

Having the 18th ranked defense last year wasn't really that bad. Considering our offense ran the fewest plays in the league last year and the defense was always on the field.

Captain Obvious
07-04-2007, 12:16 PM
The Bills overall defense ranks the last 5 years have been...

2006: 18th
2005: 28th
2004: 25th
2003: 30th
2002: 11th

The defense was ranked in the Top 5 in 2003 and 2004

TacklingDummy
07-04-2007, 12:24 PM

I was correcting it as you typed it. Those were our offense rankings for every year besides 2006.. :ill:

onceproudbillsfan
07-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Aaron Schobel should step up and become a leader on this defense. He has been solid and consistent every year and plays hard every down.

ParanoidAndroid
07-05-2007, 09:15 PM

He listed the offense rankings, didn't he? I remember thinking about the jump from 28th to 18th the first year in Fairchild's offense. That's gotta be encouraging.