PDA

View Full Version : Sabres have me worried to death about Bills

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Different sport- but same ever-emerging Big Market tramples over Small Market business.

Yes, the Sabres F'd up and could've had both Drury and Briere put away before FA started. But once it did, despite the crap L. Quinn spewed us, Drury was as good as gone, as was Briere.

Bottom line is big markets like Philly and NY bid on the same player we do, and it's a done deal.. That's NOT BUFFALO's fault- that is simply more money to spend from bigger cities.

That really sucks and the whole salary cap concept is becoming more and more BS every year.

Im petrified when it comes to Buffalo's core of FA over the next 2-4 years the same thing is going to happen.. Once a Crowell, Losman or especially Evans can smell the finish line to open market UFA-- they are gone.

This front office (Bills) needs to really step up over the next couple of years, and get these guys tucked away. We CANNOT let them play out their final years and play out their contracts or they are as good as gone.

Moorman is only a measely punter-- however, the CONCEPT by Buffalo was spot on. Get this guy locked up long-term.

With all this cap money, I really hope we spread that out and do the same with our big stars.

I cant take anymore of rooting for a guy, watching him become a star and then seeing him get paid off by a large market team. I dont care if the Bills sign a significant FA in the next 2 years outside of our own-- as long as NONE of our emerging stars gets to the open market.

Saratoga Slim
07-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Different sport- but same ever-emerging Big Market tramples over Small Market business.

Yes, the Sabres F'd up and could've had both Drury and Briere put away before FA started. But once it did, despite the crap L. Quinn spewed us, Drury was as good as gone, as was Briere.

Bottom line is big markets like Philly and NY bid on the same player we do, and it's a done deal.. That's NOT BUFFALO's fault- that is simply more money to spend from bigger cities.

That really sucks and the whole salary cap concept is becoming more and more BS every year.

Im petrified when it comes to Buffalo's core of FA over the next 2-4 years the same thing is going to happen.. Once a Crowell, Losman or especially Evans can smell the finish line to open market UFA-- they are gone.

This front office (Bills) needs to really step up over the next couple of years, and get these guys tucked away. We CANNOT let them play out their final years and play out their contracts or they are as good as gone.

Moorman is only a measely punter-- however, the CONCEPT by Buffalo was spot on. Get this guy locked up long-term.

With all this cap money, I really hope we spread that out and do the same with our big stars.

I cant take anymore of rooting for a guy, watching him become a star and then seeing him get paid off by a large market team. I dont care if the Bills sign a significant FA in the next 2 years outside of our own-- as long as NONE of our emerging stars gets to the open market.

good post Pat. I agree. If we're going to build through the draft, we've got to keep the guys we draft to whatever extent possible. It's a vicious circle to draft guys, take our lumps while they develop, lose them to FA, and then have to draft a new one. I'm not that worried about Losman, because I think QBs that are performing well usually have incentive to stay in the system that's working for them, and I also don't think the franchise would be crazy enough to let their starting QB walk. Evans, Peters, Crowell, those are the guys that worry me.

venis2k1
07-03-2007, 03:55 PM
who are all these players that we are letting walk in the prime of the careers, outside of clements, winfield, and marcellus weilley? i cant think of a single one.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 04:21 PM
who are all these players that we are letting walk in the prime of the careers, outside of clements, winfield, and marcellus weilley? i cant think of a single one.
Nobody yet.. My fear is that it happens, due to this big market squashes small market.

Wally The Barber
07-03-2007, 05:44 PM
I understand your concerns and I feel EXACTLY the same way.

It seems like every professional Sport franchise in the Large markets eventually find a way to beat the cap and with time, get the players.
Kind of sad!

Night Train
07-03-2007, 06:47 PM
The Financials are FAR different.

Sabres blew it by not negotiating in good faith with Drury/Briere this past year while worrying about a bottom line that was better than they thought. Much of that has to do with a rock bottom U.S. national TV contract with terrible ratings. Upfront $$ isn't there but that doesn't excuse the serious lack of brains on Quinn and Reigers' part. Drury should still be here.

In the NFL, the TV $$ allows the small market Bills to still sign UFA's and stay in the hunt. They know they'll still make a profit, regardless of what Ralph and Co. say. They just make less than the big market teams but still aren't hurting.

seanbillsfan
07-03-2007, 09:37 PM
the sabres had money to spend. merchandise alone was up 900% from 2 yrs ago. the front office either f'd up good or didnt want to spend money.

TacklingDummy
07-03-2007, 09:49 PM
The NHL has a cap. The Rangers can spend no more money than what the Sabres can. The difference is the city. It's much more glamorous to play in NYC than it is to play in Buffalo.

The NFL needs a hard cap. Then it won't matter how much more money a owner has in Dallas compared to what the owner in Buffalo has. But then it falls back to the city. If given the chance most players probably rather play in a city like Dallas compared to Buffalo.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 10:20 PM
The NHL has a cap. The Rangers can spend no more money than what the Sabres can. The difference is the city. It's much more glamorous to play in NYC than it is to play in Buffalo.
NO, there is still a difference.

A team like the Rangers can sign Joe Schmo to $50 million over 5 years, and so can Buffalo.

But the Rangers can put upfront $15 million the first year- Buffalo and their revenue stream will never be able to match that.

TacklingDummy
07-03-2007, 10:29 PM
NO, there is still a difference.

A team like the Rangers can sign Joe Schmo to $50 million over 5 years, and so can Buffalo.

But the Rangers can put upfront $15 million the first year- Buffalo and their revenue stream will never be able to match that.

It doesn't matter that they can give $15 million to 1 player. They still can only spend the same total amount as the Sabres. Is Drury getting $15 million the 1st year?

Goobylal
07-03-2007, 10:31 PM
True the Buffalo teams can't match what bigger markets can give, because the population that goes to games and buys merchandise can't afford it. And given the same contract, players will take another city over Buffalo 9 times out of 10.

But we should all be thankful that there IS a cap in both sports (now). Without it, the Bills and Sabres would both be gone by now.

Goobylal
07-03-2007, 10:34 PM
It doesn't matter that they can give $15 million to 1 player. They still can only spend the same total amount as the Sabres. Is Drury getting $15 million the 1st year?
The way I understand it, contracts are guaranteed, meaning the guys make the money whether they play or not, get traded, etc. And the cap takes into account the average salary, which is the same amount every year. But I guess teams can give more upfront money to guys. It's probably best for a player to get more upfront money, in case you get released later-on. That way you made more money off your contract and can get another big contract.

TacklingDummy
07-03-2007, 10:38 PM
True the Buffalo teams can't match what bigger markets can give, because the population that goes to games and buys merchandise can't afford it. And given the same contract, players will take another city over Buffalo 9 times out of 10.

But we should all be thankful that there IS a cap in both sports (now). Without it, the Bills and Sabres would both be gone by now.

The NFL cap is a joke. They should have a cap like the NHL.

The Sabres can match what the Rangers can give. The Rangers can spend no more money than what the Sabres can.

Come to think of it, didn't the Sabres have a higher payroll than the Rangers this year?

BUF 43,899,339
NYR 42,318,416
http://www.geocities.com/rmccleary97/capcounts_team.htm