PDA

View Full Version : Future of the "Franchise Tag"

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 02:43 PM
What do you guys feel is the future of the tag?
And do you think the Players Union is going to try and get this removed during the next CBA negotiation?

Personally, I hate the Franchise Tag.

Say your Briggs or Samuel. You have to play out a one-year deal.. If you suffer a career ending injury, you lose tens of millions.

I think this will get pushed hard and will eventually be done away with.

I can see compensation being given still for RFA, but once you become a UFA, I think you're gonna see a day soon when that player is free.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure anyone is really benefitting from the franchise tags. Most of the players who get hit with it end up being disgruntled and messing with team chemistry. Teams rarely if ever retain players after the franchise tag is up.

The Players' Union will get what they want.

dolphan117
07-03-2007, 03:38 PM
I think it will stay, teams wont want to lose all leverage with their UFA's. And to be honest I don't see why players ***** so much about the tag. Its a one year deal that (If I remember correctly) pays them the average of the 5 highest paid guys at their position. That's pretty darn good money and a year later they are a FA once again. Its not as much guaranteed money as a huge multi year deal but its not like they are playing for peanuts.

venis2k1
07-03-2007, 03:50 PM
teams should not be allowed to do it to players over multiple years, ala walter jones, a few years ago. that is not fair to the players, put that clause in and i think most of your problems will go away. your injury argument holds no water pat, how is it fair for a team to pay out 25 million in gaurenteed money to a player that suffers a that same career ending injury?

SquishDaFish
07-03-2007, 04:20 PM
I think it will stay but only be allowed to be used once per player. Once you use it for the 1 player he is free if he doesnt sign long term.

Wys Guy
07-04-2007, 09:02 AM
If it goes, expect player compensation packages to escalate even more for the top players.

Stewie
07-04-2007, 09:18 AM
You guys have to be kidding me.

First, the players union is a joke. They will get what theyw ant? Only if what they want is to get bent over and taken from behind.

Second, how do you lose millions you never had?

Third, these guys play a game for millions of dollars. I personally don't give a crap if a few of them have to leave a few million on the table to follow the rules

Fourth, playing under the franchsie tag every year can be good for the player. It guarantees a high salary, and you can wait to sign all the way until week 10 without incurring any penalty. Further, the player ensures they will make more money when they finally do hit FA, as contracts average value skyrockets every year.

Interesting that some of the same people who moan about the Bills retaining players would like to give up an effective means of doing just that.

G. Host
07-05-2007, 04:30 PM
teams should not be allowed to do it to players over multiple years, ala walter jones, a few years ago. that is not fair to the players, put that clause in and i think most of your problems will go away. your injury argument holds no water pat, how is it fair for a team to pay out 25 million in gaurenteed money to a player that suffers a that same career ending injury?

Last contract changed Franchise Tag so it could only be used two successive years. And I think NFL owners will only give it up if they get something else - i.e. ability to get back money from players who hold out when they are under contract.