PDA

View Full Version : I agree with Garth on this one!

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2007, 02:43 PM
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8434

Let the buyer beware.
The past 48 hours have seen fast and furious action in the UFA market. Some of the UFA deals make sense, others, like Bertuzzi, don't. $8 million for a guy with a bad back? Whatever.

There are a few solid UFAs left, however, their market price keeps creeping up and up.

Now is notthe time for the Sabres to go all-in on a UFA. Unless his name is Sheldon Souray. Or, Mike Comrie.

Otherwise, its better to be prudent.

The Sabres can go out and buy a high priced UFA to appease the fans, however, be careful what you wish for as it just may come true.

Now that I've had some time to process all of the facts, I'm prepared to offer an opinion on what I think the Sabres should do to to re-build:

1). Immediately sign the RFAs. Vanek, Roy,Gaustad, Paille to long term extensions. The Sabres have an abundance of skill players- young and old. Get the RFAs settled now, and, get to work assigning more responsibility to them.

2). Begin talks with Brian Campbell now. Work out an extension, the likes of which Thornton and Iginla signed this past weekend, so as to avoid Soupy skating through his UFA season with no new deal.

3). Get to work on a long term extension for Ryan Miller-- NOW.

4). Stay away from the RFA offer sheet. Compensation will be too much to bear.****UNLESS: you love the player and you know he'll perform for a high level for you. Case in point: Zach Parise.

He and Drew Stafford have Lecavalier and St. Louis written all over them! Pull the RFA trigger, only if it makes sense!

5). Patiently wait for the Arbitration process to work itself out, then go shopping for the good players who have had their arbitration awards declined by their present clubs. Arb-elligible players can file for Arb on Thursday July 5. The Arb market of the Summer of 2006 will be used as the litmus test for this market. Remember back to when Briere, Havlat, and the like were awarded generous pay raises.

All of the one-off contacts in the $5 mill range were only a sign of things to come. The Arbitrator was player-friendly last Summer, and one can speculate that the same trend will continue this time around.

If I'm the GM in Buffalo, I wait it out, and make offers on the players who have their Arb ruling vetoed by the team that hold their rights.

Don't go for a roll in the hay with a UFA with nothing left in the tak, who's market value was grossly inflated due to supplyand demand.

There will be a market of players who will have their Arb deals rejected by their clubs.

Then, I pounce on the best of the best available.

There will be a dozen or so studs to choose from in a month. Pick the ones that make the best sense and go get them signed.

Money will not be an objection in Buffalo.