PDA

View Full Version : If by some chance Vanek

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 05:15 PM
If by some chance a team with a lot of money signs Vanek to a monster offer sheet that the Sabres wont match (not likely but certainly possible)- then what happens.

Lets say Dallas decides this guy is a future 50-goal per year scorer and offers him $8 million per year for 7 years- with $12 million of that upfront in year one.

The Sabres dont match.

Then will even the most staunch of HOMERS finally realize this is an organization in disarray?

You can semi-sell me on the core excuse.. But they BETTER retain Vanek no matter what.

SabreEleven
07-03-2007, 05:17 PM
At those numbers, I'd let him walk and take the draft picks. I bet Vanek won't score 40 this year.

Ebenezer
07-03-2007, 05:18 PM
they will resign him at ALL costs...if not it is the Titanic.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Vanek's ability is debatable.. I'm on the end that he's going to be another Bret Hull as he learns more and he'll get better in other areas.

Regardless, if this team lets Vanek walk to a powerful offer elsewhere this community will lose its mind.

Ebenezer
07-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Vanek's ability is debatable.. I'm on the end that he's going to be another Bret Hull as he learns more and he'll get better in other areas.

Regardless, if this team lets Vanek walk to a powerful offer elsewhere this community will lose its mind.
the problem will be that he will have trouble scoring 40 goals next year unless they augment the lineup. Vanek and his linemates will face the checking lines now...they really didn't do that this past year. His totals are bound to go down.

patmoran2006
07-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Vanek will be solid.. He's a natural born goal scorer, often in the right place.

OpIv37
07-03-2007, 05:22 PM
I think it depends on when it happens and how much it is for- if they offer Vanek $12 million tomorrow I'd say let them have him. If they offer him $10 million and guys like Comrie and Souray are signed and we still have $13 million in cap space, the Sabres damn well better match.