PDA

View Full Version : Sabres finally sign another one, Numminen is back

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-04-2007, 01:49 PM
The Buffalo Sabres have re-signed defenseman Teppo Numminen to a one-year contract worth $2.6 million, the same contract he played with last season.

"It was an easy decision to come back,'' Numminen said this afternoon from his home in Finland. "I was hoping to come back. It was a situation where I told them I wanted to come back and I'm glad it worked out well. Being there two years, I really enjoyed myself and my family really felt comfortable in Buffalo. That was my first choice.''

Numminen, who turned 39 on Tuesday, had two goals, 27 assists and a plus-17 rating while missing only three games last season. In 16 playoff games he added four assists and had a team-high plus-10 rating, which tied with Anaheim Ducks Chris Pronger and Samuel Pahlsson for the league postseason lead.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/112859.html

Ebenezer
07-04-2007, 03:02 PM
the +/- doesn't lie...and the fact that he was paired with Kalinin doesn't help. Would people be complaining if he were 32? I don't think so.

LABillsFan
07-04-2007, 03:55 PM
I like it.

Nighthawk
07-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Honestly, a waste of money on a player who's play has slipped. Another mistake by the front office. And the hits keep coming!

Dr. Lecter
07-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Honestly, a waste of money on a player who's play has slipped. Another mistake by the front office. And the hits keep coming!

Look at his numbers in the playoffs. He was solid.

Besides if there is any chance of dumping Spacek, Teppo has to be back.

tampabay25690
07-04-2007, 05:40 PM

wHAT DO YOU EXPECT OUT OF NIGHTHAWK. He is nothing but negative anyway...

Philagape
07-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Plus-minus can be a misleading stat

Kalinin was +9 and Tallinder was -4. Does that mean Kalinin is better than Tallinder?

Mair was +5 while Gaustad was -1

Chris Drury's CAREER plus-minus is +13, barely over +1 per year average. In 2005-06 with the Sabres, he was -11.

I went through every playoff game, and Numminen's +/- is inflated because he happened to be on the ice when the Sabres scored even-strength goals (he was on for 15 but assisted on only three of them). That doesn't say much.

chernobylwraiths
07-04-2007, 06:07 PM

He WASN'T very good last season. He was decent in the playoffs. We need a physical defenseman and we waste 2.6 on him. I'm not surprised by the move but I don't like it.

ct bills fan
07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
It doesn't mean we're out of the Souray chase. Souray would be huge for our pp, and that's the primary reason we lost in the playoffs. If we signed Souray, I'd assume we had a deal in place to trade Spacek and or Kalinen. Souray actually adds some toughness too - he likes to hit and had 126, or so, penalty minutes last year.

chernobylwraiths
07-04-2007, 09:04 PM
It doesn't mean we're out of the Souray chase. Souray would be huge for our pp, and that's the primary reason we lost in the playoffs. If we signed Souray, I'd assume we had a deal in place to trade Spacek and or Kalinen. Souray actually adds some toughness too - he likes to hit and had 126, or so, penalty minutes last year.

Souray is a big defensive liability. They said at their press conference that with the losses of their two captains that they will have to have a more concerted effort to get more defensive and keep more pucks out of their net since they won't be able to score as easily. I highly doubt they would go after Souray.

Ebenezer
07-05-2007, 12:11 AM
a more concerted effort to get more defensive and keep more pucks out of their net since they won't be able to score as easily. I highly doubt they would go after Souray.

but that is a major sticking point with me..."a more concerted effort"...but they only have the guys on the roster. Kalinin is a huge liability. Teppo, while a positive +/- player is 39. The defense is supposed to get better with only the players they already have and the inexperienced guys in Rochester?? That tells me we are going back to playing the trap. :down:

Johnny Bugmenot
07-05-2007, 12:20 AM
That tells me we are going back to playing the trap.

It works for New Jersey... why not give it a shot?

Michael82
07-05-2007, 12:51 AM
That tells me we are going back to playing the trap. :down:
Welcome back to the :boring: Sabres hockey.

pyrrhonist
07-05-2007, 11:37 AM
He's a solid player, but not for that amount. Yikes.

And to repeat--Souray is an awful defenseman. He is good on offense (Although last season was a career year), but can't play a lick of 'D'. Most of his PIMs are from dumb penalties and after-the-play hits. I think Hannan would've been the best fit defensively for us.

Nighthawk
07-05-2007, 05:03 PM

I like the point on Spacek, but the way they are talking, it doesn't sound like they are going to try to make any moves on the back end. They actually think they have one of the best d-units in the league. Uggh!

patmoran2006
07-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I like Tepo, but at 39 he doesnt nothing to actually IMPROVE the team that lost two players.

Meanwhile, Isles lose Smyth and Blake and at least do somethign about it, signing 36 goal scorer Bill Guerin to a two year deal.