PDA

View Full Version : A few FA's have Buffalo in their sights

G Wolly
07-05-2007, 11:46 AM
According the TheFourthPeriod, Alexi Yashin, Bill Guerin, Michael Peca, Mike Comrie, and Jeff O'Neill.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/topfas_rest.html

I'd personally like to see Peca back in Buffalo. But I'm sure the FO won't make a move here either.

don137
07-05-2007, 11:57 AM
I would like Peca for face-offs and his defensive ability... He was never a huge scorer but held his own. Now he isn't even that but still would be worth it.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Peca will never come back here because of what the Sabres did to him (or should I say what the Rigas family did to him). His contract was about to be up and he wanted 4 Mill./season and the Sabres wouldn't give it to him. So instead of playing he sat out that season and demanded to traded and we traded him to the Islanders and you know the rest of the story.

Valerie
07-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Question, I was just checking out the Maple Leafs on NHL.com and Peca is listed as a player for them. Since when?

http://www.mapleleafs.com/team/player.asp?player_id=88

RockStar36
07-05-2007, 12:31 PM
**** Peca.

G Wolly
07-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Question, I was just checking out the Maple Leafs on NHL.com and Peca is listed as a player for them. Since when?

http://www.mapleleafs.com/team/player.asp?player_id=88

Right from that link,

"ACQUIRED FROM: Unrestricted Free Agent, July 18, 2006"

patmoran2006
07-05-2007, 12:46 PM
We're not signing any of those FA's.

If anything, if we make ANY MOVES it will be getting younger.

Valerie
07-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Right from that link,

"ACQUIRED FROM: Unrestricted Free Agent, July 18, 2006"
I saw that, but I guess I just don't understand. I don't recall him playing for the Leafs last season so how did they get him in 2006 and he didn't play? Sorry, I must be slow or something because that makes no sense to me. I apologize. :sorry:

THATHURMANATOR
07-05-2007, 01:00 PM
He played for them last year, but he was injured most of the year.

BlackMetalNinja
07-05-2007, 01:06 PM
I saw that, but I guess I just don't understand. I don't recall him playing for the Leafs last season so how did they get him in 2006 and he didn't play? Sorry, I must be slow or something because that makes no sense to me. I apologize. :sorry:

You should pay better attention to your team then, he definitely played... Though only about half the season due to a broken leg I believe.

hammerbillsfan
07-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Valerie :doh:

Michael82
07-05-2007, 01:32 PM

they can't get any younger or they'll be diapers....

RockStar36
07-05-2007, 01:47 PM

That kind of makes me MAD. I was HOPING they would sign every single PLAYER from that list. Except PECA, of course.

OpIv37
07-05-2007, 01:52 PM

Someone needs to inform both the Bills and the Sabres that "younger" and "better" are not synonyms.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-05-2007, 01:53 PM

They may not have a choice in the matter. They'll have to pick up FA's eventually to 1) get up to league minimum salary and 2) keep the fans buying tickets and paying their salaries.

Valerie
07-05-2007, 02:04 PM
You should pay better attention to your team then, he definitely played... Though only about half the season due to a broken leg I believe.
:doh: Maybe I was asleep the first half of the season. lol Thanks guys and again, I'm sorry! :sorry: :blush:

RockStar36
07-05-2007, 02:32 PM
:doh: Maybe I was asleep the first half of the season. lol Thanks guys and again, I'm sorry! :sorry: :blush:

Or just really drunk during the games?

bigbub2352
07-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Why would we be interested in over paying for overrated Yashin, old and broken Peca, i could see Comrie and O'Neil, but other than that now way no thanks

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-05-2007, 03:02 PM
If Yashin came at the right price I think he can be a good player in this system. I know everyone thinks he is crap because of his last couple seasons, but I have faith in Lindy to put him in the right situation to succeed.

I also like Jeff O'Neil, another player that needs an offensive system to work for him. Toronto was like a graveyard for him. I think he could be a very good player on this team, not 40 goals, but I could see 20-30 out of him.

I will take Comrie. I think he is a good talent, but has the label of being lazy.

Peca is Peca.

I don't think they are getting Bill Guerin, there are to many teams trying to get him.

Meathead
07-05-2007, 03:04 PM
get yashin at a 20 goal scorer price and id be thrilled

so what he flopped as a franchise guy hes still a good player

tampabay25690
07-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Peca will never come back here because of what the Sabres did to him (or should I say what the Rigas family did to him). His contract was about to be up and he wanted 4 Mill./season and the Sabres wouldn't give it to him. So instead of playing he sat out that season and demanded to traded and we traded him to the Islanders and you know the rest of the story.

YOU think so. Well I know 100%%%% sure that if Buffalo is interested he would come back here. He still lives in the area.

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2007, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't mind Guerin, but wouldn't want to pay him a lot. I would be very interested in Peca and O'Neil. Wouldn't want Yashin just because of possibly regressing with the young players we have and them seeing how lazy he can be. I really don't want Comrie. He is the small speedy player that we already have too many of.

Crisis
07-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Does Peca still have his house in Amherst?

My friend used to live down the block from him.

Nighthawk
07-05-2007, 05:00 PM

Sorry Losman! Uggh, old age setting in!

SkateZilla
07-05-2007, 05:08 PM
wasnt peca the idiot that benched himself for a whole season over contract issues?

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2007, 05:28 PM
He never sat out a season, get your facts straight before trying to make a point.

Yes he did. 2000-2001

http://www.nhl.com/players/8458976.html

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Peca held out after the cup season of 1999-2000. He was the captain of the team and was looking to make a decent deal for himself. He was asking for $4 million a season. That was way too much and I bet he knew that, but he was a RFA and didn't want to keep being underpaid since he was the captain was wasn't making a whole lot yet. The Sabres countered at something like 2.25 and raised it to about 2.5 shortly after the season started. This was when salaries were escalating out of control and the Sabres were trying to stand firm for small market hockey teams while Peca was standing firm for the players.

IMO, both sides were wrong but were too pigheaded to come to a more reasonable deal. Darcy waited until about the trade deadline when Peca said that he would never play for this organization again since they stopped trying to negotiate and wouldn't deal in good faith (sound familiar?). It was at this point that Darcy finally came up with an amount that Peca probably would have loved if offered closer to the start of the season with the caveat that Peca would relinquish the portion of his salary for 2000-2001 that he hadn't played. Peca stuck to his guns trying to force a trade. He never got that trade until after the season was over (Buffalo lost to Pittsburgh in seven). I actually admired Peca for sticking to his principles and not grabbing the money. Of course he got overpaid in NY, but that is another story.

This is where the story ties in with the history of the Sabres not bargaining in good faith. I believe Donald Audette around that time (1998 actually) was trying to get a better deal for himself but the Sabres wouldn't relent. He then asked for a pay CUT, so that after the season he could become an UFA, but of course the Sabres would lose their hold on him and they wouldn't do that either. It was also that very same season that the Sabres were somewhat on the brink of being a Stanley Cup contender. They had a good defensive team and the greatest goaltender on the planet. When that trade deadline came and went and they didn't trade their former captain to get some help to win a Cup, Hasek had enough. After the season, Hasek forced the Sabres to trade him.

I hold no animosity towards Peca at all. I'm surprised that people still do considering the way the FO has treated players for years.

Meathead
07-05-2007, 06:31 PM
:lolpoint: knighthawk

Nighthawk
07-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Wow, I guess I put that out of my mind...my bad. Sorry for that Losman. I really don't remember him sitting out the entire season. Hmmm, must be I'm getting old.

Nighthawk
07-05-2007, 07:16 PM
:lolpoint: knighthawk

I know...what dufus! I can't believe I forgot that!