PDA

View Full Version : Chris Browns Blog

justasportsfan
07-05-2007, 01:45 PM
It's so slw so here's something to read on.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 8:20 AM ET | Link
MOVEMENT ON BRIGGS: With the July 15th deadline fast approaching, Lance Briggs agent Drew Rosenhaus is in Chicago trying to work something out with the Bears. According to the Chicago Tribune Rosenhaus has presented the Bears front office with a handful of proposal options. Of course the details of those weren't released. I'd be surprised if Rosenhaus already has a trade partner lined up somewhere in the league, but you never know. And no, I don't believe the Bills are even a candidate. Briggs' future salary in a long term deal would be too restrictive to their financial model especially with players like Lee Evans and J.P. Losman to lock up to long term deals in the near future.

---

WHITNER TURNOVER MOTIVATED: When I spoke to Donte about this upcoming season and talked to him about how he was criticized by some national media outfits for managing just one interception last season, he gave me a look. One of those looks that gave you the feeling he was saying, 'I'll show them.' After a long pause Whitner looked me dead in the eye and said.

"We'll see, we'll definitely see."

I think Whitner was somewhat at a disadvantage for interceptions as a rookie because he was playing down close to the line so much because Buffalo needed all the men they could get in the box to stop the run, which they didn't do very well last season. But with more man-to-man coverage responsibilities anticipated this season and hopefully improved run defense from the front seven his numbers should go up in terms of plays on the ball.

BUTLER'S TRANSFORMATION: In talking to and observing Brad Butler's approach this offseason it's hard not to come away impressed. The guy was here the entire offseason, and focused on his strength primarily since his one shoulder was never right in 2006 coming off January shoulder surgery. But he also studied film especially knowing he'd be spending a lot of time at guard this year. So in addition to building strength back into his shoulder and the rest of his body for that matter, he also spent time in the film room.

"The other part is the mental aspect of watching tape and becoming a more intelligent player," he said. "You watch Baltimore and you see their defense get a ton of sacks and half the time it’s not because they physically beat somebody, but because they ran a blitz that confused the offensive line. That’s something you can improve on and prevent and when recognizing those things becomes second nature it really helps your game in the long run.”

A very professional approach for a very young player, and he's really transformed his body this offseason. Because he couldn't really hit the weights as a rookie he wasn't toned up, but he has firmed his body up and looks to be a much more solid 315.

Coach Jauron says a lot of players make their biggest jump in ability and performance from their rookie season to their second season because they get a full offseason in an NFL program. I think Butler will be one of those guys and I wouldn't be surprised if he shocks people and takes that right guard job becaue once the pads go on a guy like him suddenly becomes much more noticeable.

To give you an example of his intense demeanor when competing here's a comment he made to me when I asked him about it.

“I think it’s just the competition," said Butler. "You want to go out there and do the best you can. This is a sport where you can’t be even keeled. I’m definitely that type of person off the field, but when it comes to competitions I’ve been known to throw a few golf clubs in the past and even break a few. In fact I had to give up golf for a few months and cool off. It’s just something where competition is something I enjoy. When I step off the field I come back down to earth.”

This is what you want in an offensive lineman.

---

don137
07-05-2007, 02:57 PM
It's so slw so here's something to read on.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 8:20 AM ET | Link
MOVEMENT ON BRIGGS: With the July 15th deadline fast approaching, Lance Briggs agent Drew Rosenhaus is in Chicago trying to work something out with the Bears. According to the Chicago Tribune Rosenhaus has presented the Bears front office with a handful of proposal options. Of course the details of those weren't released. I'd be surprised if Rosenhaus already has a trade partner lined up somewhere in the league, but you never know. And no, I don't believe the Bills are even a candidate. Briggs' future salary in a long term deal would be too restrictive to their financial model especially with players like Lee Evans and J.P. Losman to lock up to long term deals in the near future.

---

WHITNER TURNOVER MOTIVATED: When I spoke to Donte about this upcoming season and talked to him about how he was criticized by some national media outfits for managing just one interception last season, he gave me a look. One of those looks that gave you the feeling he was saying, 'I'll show them.' After a long pause Whitner looked me dead in the eye and said.

"We'll see, we'll definitely see."

I think Whitner was somewhat at a disadvantage for interceptions as a rookie because he was playing down close to the line so much because Buffalo needed all the men they could get in the box to stop the run, which they didn't do very well last season. But with more man-to-man coverage responsibilities anticipated this season and hopefully improved run defense from the front seven his numbers should go up in terms of plays on the ball.

BUTLER'S TRANSFORMATION: In talking to and observing Brad Butler's approach this offseason it's hard not to come away impressed. The guy was here the entire offseason, and focused on his strength primarily since his one shoulder was never right in 2006 coming off January shoulder surgery. But he also studied film especially knowing he'd be spending a lot of time at guard this year. So in addition to building strength back into his shoulder and the rest of his body for that matter, he also spent time in the film room.

"The other part is the mental aspect of watching tape and becoming a more intelligent player," he said. "You watch Baltimore and you see their defense get a ton of sacks and half the time it’s not because they physically beat somebody, but because they ran a blitz that confused the offensive line. That’s something you can improve on and prevent and when recognizing those things becomes second nature it really helps your game in the long run.”

A very professional approach for a very young player, and he's really transformed his body this offseason. Because he couldn't really hit the weights as a rookie he wasn't toned up, but he has firmed his body up and looks to be a much more solid 315.

Coach Jauron says a lot of players make their biggest jump in ability and performance from their rookie season to their second season because they get a full offseason in an NFL program. I think Butler will be one of those guys and I wouldn't be surprised if he shocks people and takes that right guard job becaue once the pads go on a guy like him suddenly becomes much more noticeable.

To give you an example of his intense demeanor when competing here's a comment he made to me when I asked him about it.

“I think it’s just the competition," said Butler. "You want to go out there and do the best you can. This is a sport where you can’t be even keeled. I’m definitely that type of person off the field, but when it comes to competitions I’ve been known to throw a few golf clubs in the past and even break a few. In fact I had to give up golf for a few months and cool off. It’s just something where competition is something I enjoy. When I step off the field I come back down to earth.”

This is what you want in an offensive lineman.

---

Thank goodness Coach Jauron does not visit this board because when we suggest that many of the second year players will improve this year and take a big step between the first and second year some of the negative ones would of laid into him saying he is crazy and to expect status quo and the same results as last year.

justasportsfan
07-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Thank goodness Coach Jauron does not visit this board because when we suggest that many of the second year players will improve this year and take a big step between the first and second year some of the negative ones would of laid into him saying he is crazy and to expect status quo and the same results as last year.

I was thinking that but refrained.

HAMMER
07-05-2007, 03:08 PM
No way, players don't get better. They already know everything when they come into the league. After all, they have played football all their lives. They couldn't possibly improve enough to make a difference to the team. Right Op?

Luisito23
07-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Glad to hear that about Butler., I'm really looking forward to seeing his progress, and expect him to have a great year...And look for Whitner to have a monster season as well.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!

justasportsfan
07-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Glad to hear that about Butler., I'm really looking forward to seeing his progress, and expect him to have a great year
Maybe he can chop block Porter. That wouldn't be a cheap shot considering who he's doing it to, would it?

Lexwhat
07-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Good read...It would be a GREAT thing if Butler stepped up and took the right Guard position...Our O-Line would become a strength, IMO.

As for Briggs, that's pretty annoying. We don't really have anyone on this roster that is highly-paid, except for Dockery. Moreover, IMO, Briggs is a type of player we really need. Lots of teams have lots of highly-paid players, I don't see what our problem is. We should just give him a front-loaded contract, we have lots of cap room.

Too bad it'll probally never happen...

justasportsfan
07-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Good read...It would be a GREAT thing if Butler stepped up and took the right Guard position...Our O-Line would become a strength, IMO.

As for Briggs, that's pretty annoying. We don't really have anyone on this roster that is highly-paid, except for Dockery. Moreover, IMO, Briggs is a type of player we really need. Lots of teams have lots of highly-paid players, I don't see what our problem is. We should just give him a front-loaded contract, we have lots of cap room.

Too bad it'll probally never happen...
I think they may think they may have found diamonds in the rough in last years draft via Ellisson and DiGorgio + they just drafted POz.

OpIv37
07-05-2007, 03:27 PM
No way, players don't get better. They already know everything when they come into the league. After all, they have played football all their lives. They couldn't possibly improve enough to make a difference to the team. Right Op?

we've been over this 1000 times, but one more time for you slow learners:

I never said players don't improve. But we lost 3 starters on D. We were 28th against the run last year and routinely gave up extended drives. We were 24th in turnovers, and we are facing the prospect of having the exact same crap-tacular DL as last year.

At the same time, some of the 2nd year guys like DiGiorgio and Youboty and McCargo had limited playing time and are still going through the learning curve.

If you people honestly think a handful of guys improving from first year to 2nd year with the only added talent being Poz is enough to overcome all of those issues, you're only fooling yourselves.

justasportsfan
07-05-2007, 03:31 PM
you guys just had to call him out did ya?

HAMMER
07-05-2007, 03:47 PM
we've been over this 1000 times, but one more time for you slow learners:

I never said players don't improve. But we lost 3 starters on D. We were 28th against the run last year and routinely gave up extended drives. We were 24th in turnovers, and we are facing the prospect of having the exact same crap-tacular DL as last year.

At the same time, some of the 2nd year guys like DiGiorgio and Youboty and McCargo had limited playing time and are still going through the learning curve.

If you people honestly think a handful of guys improving from first year to 2nd year with the only added talent being Poz is enough to overcome all of those issues, you're only fooling yourselves.

Oh no, you very clearly stated that players don' t improve enough from year 1 to year 2 to make a difference to the team. No I am not a slow learner, as Brad Pitt stuttered while stoned in True Romance "don't condascend me man".

don137
07-05-2007, 03:48 PM
you guys just had to call him out did ya?

:couch:

I'm too lazy to look for it but I remember reading to expect status quo from the players going into their second year.

OpIv37
07-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Oh no, you very clearly stated that players don' t improve enough from year 1 to year 2 to make a difference to the team. No I am not a slow learner, as Brad Pitt stuttered while stoned in True Romance "don't condascend me man".

if we had a mediocre D with one or two players improving to put the D over the edge, you might have a point.

But we had a ****ty D who became even ****tier when 3 starters left. Sorry, but one year of player improvement can't fix that. If we're lucky the player improvement will make the D go from ****ty to just plain bad.

You're also assuming there will be improvement. There could just as easily be a sophomore slump.

HAMMER
07-05-2007, 04:21 PM
The glass is always less than half empty for poor Op. What a miserable life.

casdhf
07-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Holcomb looking for a home

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>July 3, 2007
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 9:28 AM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=1569)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>HOLCOMB LOOKING FOR A HOME: According to FoxSports.com (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6973966)Kelly Holcomb doesn't sound opposed to being traded again, to Minnesota. In an interview with Adam Schein he said he's heard the rumors of him being moved to Minnesota and in his mind it makes sense. Obviously Holcomb sees the crowded QB position in Philly with A.J. Feeley and 2nd round pick Kevin Kolb and realizes there's a good chance he'd be the odd man out. Tough to blame him for looking around. --- </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Lexwhat
07-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I think they may think they may have found diamonds in the rough in last years draft via Ellisson and DiGorgio + they just drafted POz.

Perhaps so. But don't you think if we have $20+ Million in salary cap available, that we should use it and UPGRADE if we have a chance? Briggs is a proven player in our scheme, and would be better than what we have.

If we used all that available money and gave extensions to Evans, Peters, and possibly JP, then I wouldn't complain. But if we somehow go into the regular season with more than $2 million in cap space, and have the opportunity to upgrade somewhere but decide not to, then I would be very disappointed.

Of course, Briggs may not be the choice of the Bills front office. But IMO, money SHOULD be spent somewhere, somehow.

mayotm
07-05-2007, 07:10 PM
The glass is always less than half empty for poor Op. What a miserable life.Give OP a break. He's a Notre Dame fan. ND has games against the Coast Guard, Marines, Army Reserve and a few high school ROTC Squads for him to worry about. It makes him crabby.

Scumbag College
07-05-2007, 07:30 PM
I like that Butler can back up at a bunch of positions on the O-Line, maybe letting the Bills only keep maybe 8 or 9 OLs on the roster and freeing up a spot for another TE/FB/H-Back, LB, WR, etc.

It sounds like Walker is already penciled in at RT, but I rather have him at RG and have Pennington, who really came on at the end of the year, at RT with Butler backing up. My O Line would be, from LT-RT:

Peters, Dockery, Fowler, Walker, Pennington. IMO Walker at RG is better than Butler, Merz, Whittle, etc. and Pennington at RT is better than Walker. However, I have a feeling there'll be a dogfight for the starting RG during TC and the OLine will be:

Peters, Dockery, Fowler, Whittle/Merz/Butler, Walker.

HHURRICANE
07-05-2007, 07:36 PM
1) Very high on Butler and I actually believe that he will be starting at some point.

2) What makes Chris Brown believe that Whitner won't have to play up close again this year. We have made no additions to the DL if we don't get Walker signed so if anything we'll be exactly where we were last year.

3) Briggs in Buffalo was never, ever a reality.

BidsJr
07-05-2007, 07:51 PM
But we had a ****ty D who became even ****tier when 3 starters left. Sorry, but one year of player improvement can't fix that. If we're lucky the player improvement will make the D go from ****ty to just plain bad.

Maybe the D was ****ty because of 2 of crappy starters that left the team?

You assuming that the D will be worse for sure is nothing but a blind guess.

The loss of Fletcher and Spikes will improve this D, and the cover 2 is not "shutdown" corner dependent.

HHURRICANE
07-05-2007, 07:56 PM

The loss of Fletcher and Spikes will improve this D, and the cover 2 is not "shutdown" corner dependent.

If your going to make an argumnet than throw a fact or two in there. Op's opinion, whether you like it or not, is a little more realistic considering we have made no additions to the DL and have DiGorgio and Poz taking the place of Spikes and Fletcher.

I can't predict the future but I'm not thinking "better" at this point.

BidsJr
07-05-2007, 09:24 PM
If your going to make an argumnet than throw a fact or two in there. Op's opinion, whether you like it or not, is a little more realistic considering we have made no additions to the DL and have DiGorgio and Poz taking the place of Spikes and Fletcher.

Ok..... I'll use the same type of facts that OP is using........

OP's fact-------------> We are losing 3 starters on an already crappy D so we are gonna suck worse.

My Fact---------------> So what if we are losing 3 starters on a D that already sucked? We are getting more experiance on a d-line and S's that were very young. We lost a streaky CB in a D that is not very CB dependent.

OP is not using facts, he is using the same logic as ICE did just on the other side of the spectrum (sometimes).

OP's whole premise is that we lost 3 starters. BFD, they were all overrated and we sucked anyway. All are positions that have been proven to be filled adequately by rookies and young players.

Here is the clincher.............................................................

Our "O" on paper is better than last year. That in itself will improve our D if they can keep them off the field. More TOP for O less chance for a ****ty defense to expose itself.

I believe without a doubt that our D will be higher rated this year. Top 20 would be an achievement, and I don't think it is out of reach.

OpIv37
07-05-2007, 10:30 PM

we've been over this before as well. Poz can only replace one of them, and he's a rookie so he's going to play like a rookie (if you want to know what rookie starters do on D, watch the 2006 game tapes). The other one is being replaced by one of the guys who wasn't good enough to overtake them on the depth chart last year.

I'm not buying this "Spikes and Fletcher were so bad" crap. If they were so bad, what does that say about the guys on the bench behind them (ie the guys we're trying to replace them with)?

And regardless of whether or not the cover 2 needs a shutdown corner, none of the guys we have are as good as Clements. So the position is downgraded.

OpIv37
07-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Ok..... I'll use the same type of facts that OP is using........

OP's fact-------------> We are losing 3 starters on an already crappy D so we are gonna suck worse.

My Fact---------------> So what if we are losing 3 starters on a D that already sucked? We are getting more experiance on a d-line and S's that were very young. We lost a streaky CB in a D that is not very CB dependent.

OP is not using facts, he is using the same logic as ICE did just on the other side of the spectrum (sometimes).

OP's whole premise is that we lost 3 starters. BFD, they were all overrated and we sucked anyway. All are positions that have been proven to be filled adequately by rookies and young players.

Here is the clincher.............................................................

Our "O" on paper is better than last year. That in itself will improve our D if they can keep them off the field. More TOP for O less chance for a ****ty defense to expose itself.

I believe without a doubt that our D will be higher rated this year. Top 20 would be an achievement, and I don't think it is out of reach.

Wow, this post really has a screwed up view of "fact".

Where's your facts to show the guys we have now are better than the guys we lost? There are none. In reality, the fact that they couldn't overtake the starters who were supposedly overrated last year suggests that they're not as good.

My whole premise is that a D that SUCKED last year added NO new talent except Poz who is going to make rookie mistakes.

And as far as the offense, well, regardless of how good the offense is, the D has to take the field sometime. If we get behind early and the offense can't play ball control (or just isn't good enough to play ball control), we're screwed.

Do you realize how ridiculous it would sound if a fin fan came on here and tried to say that the D is better because the O is better? Get real.

TigerJ
07-05-2007, 11:07 PM
The entry on Briggs was uninteresting. The stuff on Butler and Whitner was fun to read.

Oaf
07-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Hopefully Butler will be able to push Preston for the RG job.
That's the offensive position I'm worrying the most about right now.

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Hopefully Butler will be able to push Preston for the RG job.
That's the offensive position I'm worrying the most about right now.

yeah Preston has never really impressed me. If Butler can step it up, Fowler will look a hell of a lot better playing between him and Dockery.

HHURRICANE
07-06-2007, 08:14 AM
yeah Preston has never really impressed me. If Butler can step it up, Fowler will look a hell of a lot better playing between him and Dockery.

Butler looked good with a hurt shoulder. I think he starts this year.

Saratoga Slim
07-06-2007, 08:41 AM
if we had a mediocre D with one or two players improving to put the D over the edge, you might have a point.

You're also assuming there will be improvement. There could just as easily be a sophomore slump.

I don't think it's fair to say that our Defense was "****ty." It was the 10th best scoring defense, and 7th against the pass. There was certainly room for improvement against the run, but there were much worse defenses in the league. How many times did we get blown out? I think our bigger problem last year was not being able to score on offense for the first half of the year.

I do agree that we'll probably at least initially take a step back as Fletch and Clements' replacements settle in.

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 08:47 AM
I don't think it's fair to say that our Defense was "****ty." It was the 10th best scoring defense, and 7th against the pass. There was certainly room for improvement against the run, but there were much worse defenses in the league. How many times did we get blown out? I think our bigger problem last year was not being able to score on offense for the first half of the year.

I do agree that we'll probably at least initially take a step back as Fletch and Clements' replacements settle in.

28th against the run, 24th in turnovers.

I've had this conversation with Lecter- scoring D and passing D don't matter when the run D is so bad because the other team can just kill the clock without actually having to score. How many times did we give up 7 minute drives in the 4th quarter of a close game? The D may have kept them off the scoreboard, but they didn't show up when it counted the most. If our opponent can only score 17 points but dominates TOP and only gives the O enough time to score 13, they'll take it every time.

justasportsfan
07-06-2007, 09:10 AM

HOw's this for fact. The bills lost 3 starters from 2005 Milloy, Posey and Vincent and the D got better with rookies like Whitner and co. I know you guys are gonna spin it and say that Posey and company were done. But isn't Fletcher not the typical MLB in this system and that Spikes might be done and you don't need a probowl cd to play the cover 2? I'm not saying that we're better but I'm not gonna say we suck for sure either. I have enough confidence that we have a good coaching staff in place.

So don't go telling us it's unrealistic to think that their replacements can't do any better. Playing in the same system can and usually improves a D which is why I call it a wash between losing Fletch and playing in the same system.

But, nooooo! You nancies KNOW FOR SURE that we already suck.

HAMMER
07-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Hasn't this been discussed, 1,400 times.

justasportsfan
07-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Hasn't this been discussed, 1,400 times.
actually 2,000 times. But we have to be patient with them. They only retain negative facts so that they can *****.

Saratoga Slim
07-06-2007, 09:38 AM
28th against the run, 24th in turnovers.

I've had this conversation with Lecter- scoring D and passing D don't matter when the run D is so bad because the other team can just kill the clock without actually having to score. How many times did we give up 7 minute drives in the 4th quarter of a close game? The D may have kept them off the scoreboard, but they didn't show up when it counted the most. If our opponent can only score 17 points but dominates TOP and only gives the O enough time to score 13, they'll take it every time.

if our offense put points on the board when given the chance, the opponents' offense would have to also, and they wouldn't be able to play the TOP game as effectively. i understand and don't entirely disagree with what you're saying, but I do think scoring defense is more important than you're giving it credit for. I think our defense was very average, but I don't think it was awful.

justasportsfan
07-06-2007, 09:41 AM
if our offense put points on the board when given the chance, the opponents' offense would have to also, and they wouldn't be able to play the TOP game as effectively. i understand and don't entirely disagree with what you're saying, but I do think scoring defense is more important than you're giving it credit for. I think our defense was very average, but I don't think it was awful.
People are gonna say "Cotls who?" when they see our offense :up:

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 09:47 AM
HOw's this for fact. The bills lost 3 starters from 2005 Milloy, Posey and Vincent and the D got better with rookies like Whitner and co. I know you guys are gonna spin it and say that Posey and company were done. But isn't Fletcher not the typical MLB in this system and that Spikes might be done and you don't need a probowl cd to play the cover 2? I'm not saying that we're better but I'm not gonna say we suck for sure either. I have enough confidence that we have a good coaching staff in place.

So don't go telling us it's unrealistic to think that their replacements can't do any better. Playing in the same system can and usually improves a D which is why I call it a wash between losing Fletch and playing in the same system.

But, nooooo! You nancies KNOW FOR SURE that we already suck.

Um, the D gave up more yards in 2005 than they did in 2006 so they didn't get better. Your entire premise is false. And that's an undisputable fact- not an opinion.

Also, you're forgetting that the Bills made a conscious choice about dumping the 3 we lost before 06. This year, the Bills definitely wanted to keep Clements, may have wanted to keep Fletcher, and probably would have kept Spikes if he didn't make his desire to leave so public (in fact you even said they should've kept Spikes if it wasn't for his attitude).

So it's a different situation when players leave by their own volition than when they leave at the discretion of the coaching staff.

I don't see why you think it's such a stretch to think a D that struggled then lost talent without gaining any new talent is still going to struggle.

justasportsfan
07-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Um, the D gave up more yards in 2005 than they did in 2006 so they didn't get better. Your entire premise is false. And that's an undisputable fact- not an opinion.

total D was better. and you rush yards was only worse by 40+ yards due to injury. So my premise is right. You're the only one picking certain stats to make your opinion right. That stats are there. We were better in total D.

justasportsfan
07-06-2007, 09:51 AM
I don't see why you think it's such a stretch to think a D that struggled then lost talent without gaining any new talent is still going to struggle.
Don't be stupid. I've always maintained the D moved sideways . We lost players but we also gained experience in the same sytem. A wash. I don't think we got better nor worse . It m,eans we will struggle in some areas and get better at other.Try comprehending properly.

You're the only one with a crystal ball here saying we're gonna suck for sure.

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 10:00 AM
total D was better. and you rush yards was only worse by 40+ yards due to injury. So my premise is right. You're the only one picking certain stats to make your opinion right. That stats are there. We were better in total D.

I stand corrected- Total D was better in 2006 than in 2005, but the rush D was worse.

40 yards worse is still worse, and we didn't add anyone to make it better (with the possible exception of Darwin Walker but he's not exactly known as a run stuffer).

justasportsfan
07-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I stand corrected- Total D was better in 2006 than in 2005, but the rush D was worse.

40 yards worse is still worse, and we didn't add anyone to make it better (with the possible exception of Darwin Walker but he's not exactly known as a run stuffer).
If Spikes didn't go down to injury and McCargo you wouldn't be whining about that 40 yards. But okay, 40 yards are 40 yards. Facts are facts, right? So you have to accept the facts as well that losing 3 starters (milloy and co) doesn't mean we are AUTOMATICALLY worse. Facts are facts. Right?

How s this for another fact. Granted that we lost 40 yards more, we got better in rush ranking from a year before? :idunno:

if you think rushing is all that counts in total D then that's you.

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 10:20 AM
If Spikes didn't go down to injury and McCargo you wouldn't be whining about that 40 yards. But okay, 40 yards are 40 yards. Facts are facts, right? So you have to accept the facts as well that losing 3 starters (milloy and co) doesn't mean we are AUTOMATICALLY worse. Facts are facts. Right?

How s this for another fact. Granted that we lost 40 yards more, we got better in rush ranking from a year before? :idunno:

if you think rushing is all that counts in total D then that's you.

Well, we were 7th in pass D and 10th in scoring D, but the 28th in run D was bad enough to drop us to 18th in overall D and get us 9 losses. So run D is pretty damn important.

As far as getting worse: Do you honestly think that Webster or Youboty is as good as Nate Clements? That position is clearly worse. Do you honestly think that Poz can come in with ZERO experience and play at the same level as Fletcher and show the same degree of leadership? Do you honestly think Ellison and DiGiorgio are an improvement over Takeo Spikes?

Let's say I accept your premise that losing starters doesn't automatically make us worse. You're forgetting one important thing: the D clearly was NOT GOOD ENOUGH last year. Not getting worse isn't good enough- the D has to get better. We added NO ONE except Webster and maybe Walker to the D. Webster is by no means better than Clements. Walker is better than Tim Anderson and Jason Jefferson, so I'll give you that one (IF he actually shows up). So on a D that struggled last year, we are clearly better at ONE (and only ONE) position.

Not. Good. Enough.

I'll even give you that Youboty and Poz may be equal or better than Clements and Fletch eventually, but they won't be equal or better on week 1 of 2007.

HAMMER
07-06-2007, 12:14 PM
If you make changes and get rid of starters from a "craptacular" defense as you call it, why does that mean we get worse? Younger, more athletic, and hungrier doesn't mean worse all the time, it can just as easily mean better. At least in a normal, undeluded person's world. Save us the bit by bit analysis Op, we have heard it so many times it is ridiculous. You are the very definition of insanity, doing or saying the same thing over and over with the same result. Can't you just let it go and wait for football season, then we'll all know.

justasportsfan
07-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Well, we were 7th in pass D and 10th in scoring D, but the 28th in run D was bad enough to drop us to 18th in overall D and get us 9 losses. So run D is pretty damn important. never said it wasn't important. Just stating facts that just because you lose starters doesn't mean you automatically get worse. Read your own nos. they are facts.

As far as getting worse: Do you honestly think that Webster or Youboty is as good as Nate Clements? That position is clearly worse. Do you honestly think that Poz can come in with ZERO experience and play at the same level as Fletcher and show the same degree of leadership? Do you honestly think Ellison and DiGiorgio are an improvement over Takeo Spikes? I realize Youboty may not be any better than Clements, but you also have to REALIZE that the players around them could be better after having a year under their belt. To you we just suck. No if's and butts.

Let's say I accept your premise that losing starters doesn't automatically make us worse. You're forgetting one important thing: the D clearly was NOT GOOD ENOUGH last year. Not getting worse isn't good enough- the D has to get better. We added NO ONE except Webster and maybe Walker to the D. Webster is by no means better than Clements. Walker is better than Tim Anderson and Jason Jefferson, so I'll give you that one (IF he actually shows up). So on a D that struggled last year, we are clearly better at ONE (and only ONE) position.

Not. Good. Enough.

I'll even give you that Youboty and Poz may be equal or better than Clements and Fletch eventually, but they won't be equal or better on week 1 of 2007.
well that's why we'd rather wait and see unlike you, you've already decided we suck with no other possibilities. Anyone who says otherwise ARE WRONG Sheez in you mnd even the coaches are wrong because they don't agree with your expert opinion. :crazy:

justasportsfan
07-06-2007, 02:49 PM
I actually emailed Chris Brown on the Whitner thing and told him that he should do that to a few players. His reply "I will take that into consideration, though after talking to McCargo a few times this offseason you don't have to worry about his motivation. "