X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Chris Browns Blog

It's so slw so here's something to read on.

Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 8:20 AM ET | Link
    MOVEMENT ON BRIGGS: With the July 15th deadline fast approaching, Lance Briggs agent Drew Rosenhaus is in Chicago trying to work something out with the Bears. According to the Chicago Tribune Rosenhaus has presented the Bears front office with a handful of proposal options. Of course the details of those weren't released. I'd be surprised if Rosenhaus already has a trade partner lined up somewhere in the league, but you never know. And no, I don't believe the Bills are even a candidate. Briggs' future salary in a long term deal would be too restrictive to their financial model especially with players like Lee Evans and J.P. Losman to lock up to long term deals in the near future.

---

WHITNER TURNOVER MOTIVATED: When I spoke to Donte about this upcoming season and talked to him about how he was criticized by some national media outfits for managing just one interception last season, he gave me a look. One of those looks that gave you the feeling he was saying, 'I'll show them.' After a long pause Whitner looked me dead in the eye and said.

"We'll see, we'll definitely see."

I think Whitner was somewhat at a disadvantage for interceptions as a rookie because he was playing down close to the line so much because Buffalo needed all the men they could get in the box to stop the run, which they didn't do very well last season. But with more man-to-man coverage responsibilities anticipated this season and hopefully improved run defense from the front seven his numbers should go up in terms of plays on the ball.

BUTLER'S TRANSFORMATION: In talking to and observing Brad Butler's approach this offseason it's hard not to come away impressed. The guy was here the entire offseason, and focused on his strength primarily since his one shoulder was never right in 2006 coming off January shoulder surgery. But he also studied film especially knowing he'd be spending a lot of time at guard this year. So in addition to building strength back into his shoulder and the rest of his body for that matter, he also spent time in the film room.

"The other part is the mental aspect of watching tape and becoming a more intelligent player," he said. "You watch Baltimore and you see their defense get a ton of sacks and half the time it’s not because they physically beat somebody, but because they ran a blitz that confused the offensive line. That’s something you can improve on and prevent and when recognizing those things becomes second nature it really helps your game in the long run.”

A very professional approach for a very young player, and he's really transformed his body this offseason. Because he couldn't really hit the weights as a rookie he wasn't toned up, but he has firmed his body up and looks to be a much more solid 315.

Coach Jauron says a lot of players make their biggest jump in ability and performance from their rookie season to their second season because they get a full offseason in an NFL program. I think Butler will be one of those guys and I wouldn't be surprised if he shocks people and takes that right guard job becaue once the pads go on a guy like him suddenly becomes much more noticeable.

To give you an example of his intense demeanor when competing here's a comment he made to me when I asked him about it.

“I think it’s just the competition," said Butler. "You want to go out there and do the best you can. This is a sport where you can’t be even keeled. I’m definitely that type of person off the field, but when it comes to competitions I’ve been known to throw a few golf clubs in the past and even break a few. In fact I had to give up golf for a few months and cool off. It’s just something where competition is something I enjoy. When I step off the field I come back down to earth.”

This is what you want in an offensive lineman.

---
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • don137
    • Jul 2002

Re: Chris Browns Blog

Originally posted by justasportsfan
    It's so slw so here's something to read on.

Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 8:20 AM ET | Link
    MOVEMENT ON BRIGGS: With the July 15th deadline fast approaching, Lance Briggs agent Drew Rosenhaus is in Chicago trying to work something out with the Bears. According to the Chicago Tribune Rosenhaus has presented the Bears front office with a handful of proposal options. Of course the details of those weren't released. I'd be surprised if Rosenhaus already has a trade partner lined up somewhere in the league, but you never know. And no, I don't believe the Bills are even a candidate. Briggs' future salary in a long term deal would be too restrictive to their financial model especially with players like Lee Evans and J.P. Losman to lock up to long term deals in the near future.

---

WHITNER TURNOVER MOTIVATED: When I spoke to Donte about this upcoming season and talked to him about how he was criticized by some national media outfits for managing just one interception last season, he gave me a look. One of those looks that gave you the feeling he was saying, 'I'll show them.' After a long pause Whitner looked me dead in the eye and said.

"We'll see, we'll definitely see."

I think Whitner was somewhat at a disadvantage for interceptions as a rookie because he was playing down close to the line so much because Buffalo needed all the men they could get in the box to stop the run, which they didn't do very well last season. But with more man-to-man coverage responsibilities anticipated this season and hopefully improved run defense from the front seven his numbers should go up in terms of plays on the ball.

BUTLER'S TRANSFORMATION: In talking to and observing Brad Butler's approach this offseason it's hard not to come away impressed. The guy was here the entire offseason, and focused on his strength primarily since his one shoulder was never right in 2006 coming off January shoulder surgery. But he also studied film especially knowing he'd be spending a lot of time at guard this year. So in addition to building strength back into his shoulder and the rest of his body for that matter, he also spent time in the film room.

"The other part is the mental aspect of watching tape and becoming a more intelligent player," he said. "You watch Baltimore and you see their defense get a ton of sacks and half the time it’s not because they physically beat somebody, but because they ran a blitz that confused the offensive line. That’s something you can improve on and prevent and when recognizing those things becomes second nature it really helps your game in the long run.”

A very professional approach for a very young player, and he's really transformed his body this offseason. Because he couldn't really hit the weights as a rookie he wasn't toned up, but he has firmed his body up and looks to be a much more solid 315.

Coach Jauron says a lot of players make their biggest jump in ability and performance from their rookie season to their second season because they get a full offseason in an NFL program. I think Butler will be one of those guys and I wouldn't be surprised if he shocks people and takes that right guard job becaue once the pads go on a guy like him suddenly becomes much more noticeable.

To give you an example of his intense demeanor when competing here's a comment he made to me when I asked him about it.

“I think it’s just the competition," said Butler. "You want to go out there and do the best you can. This is a sport where you can’t be even keeled. I’m definitely that type of person off the field, but when it comes to competitions I’ve been known to throw a few golf clubs in the past and even break a few. In fact I had to give up golf for a few months and cool off. It’s just something where competition is something I enjoy. When I step off the field I come back down to earth.”

This is what you want in an offensive lineman.

---

Thank goodness Coach Jauron does not visit this board because when we suggest that many of the second year players will improve this year and take a big step between the first and second year some of the negative ones would of laid into him saying he is crazy and to expect status quo and the same results as last year.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by don137
      Thank goodness Coach Jauron does not visit this board because when we suggest that many of the second year players will improve this year and take a big step between the first and second year some of the negative ones would of laid into him saying he is crazy and to expect status quo and the same results as last year.

I was thinking that but refrained.
      sacrifice1

Comment

• HAMMER
        I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
        • Jul 2003

No way, players don't get better. They already know everything when they come into the league. After all, they have played football all their lives. They couldn't possibly improve enough to make a difference to the team. Right Op?

Comment

• Luisito23
          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
          • Apr 2003

Glad to hear that about Butler., I'm really looking forward to seeing his progress, and expect him to have a great year...And look for Whitner to have a monster season as well.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!
          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Luisito23
            Glad to hear that about Butler., I'm really looking forward to seeing his progress, and expect him to have a great year
            Maybe he can chop block Porter. That wouldn't be a cheap shot considering who he's doing it to, would it?
            sacrifice1

Comment

• Lexwhat
              • Feb 2005

Good read...It would be a GREAT thing if Butler stepped up and took the right Guard position...Our O-Line would become a strength, IMO.

As for Briggs, that's pretty annoying. We don't really have anyone on this roster that is highly-paid, except for Dockery. Moreover, IMO, Briggs is a type of player we really need. Lots of teams have lots of highly-paid players, I don't see what our problem is. We should just give him a front-loaded contract, we have lots of cap room.

Too bad it'll probally never happen...

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Lexwhat
                Good read...It would be a GREAT thing if Butler stepped up and took the right Guard position...Our O-Line would become a strength, IMO.

As for Briggs, that's pretty annoying. We don't really have anyone on this roster that is highly-paid, except for Dockery. Moreover, IMO, Briggs is a type of player we really need. Lots of teams have lots of highly-paid players, I don't see what our problem is. We should just give him a front-loaded contract, we have lots of cap room.

Too bad it'll probally never happen...
                I think they may think they may have found diamonds in the rough in last years draft via Ellisson and DiGorgio + they just drafted POz.
                sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HAMMER
                  No way, players don't get better. They already know everything when they come into the league. After all, they have played football all their lives. They couldn't possibly improve enough to make a difference to the team. Right Op?
                  we've been over this 1000 times, but one more time for you slow learners:

I never said players don't improve. But we lost 3 starters on D. We were 28th against the run last year and routinely gave up extended drives. We were 24th in turnovers, and we are facing the prospect of having the exact same crap-tacular DL as last year.

At the same time, some of the 2nd year guys like DiGiorgio and Youboty and McCargo had limited playing time and are still going through the learning curve.

If you people honestly think a handful of guys improving from first year to 2nd year with the only added talent being Poz is enough to overcome all of those issues, you're only fooling yourselves.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

you guys just had to call him out did ya?
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• HAMMER
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      we've been over this 1000 times, but one more time for you slow learners:

I never said players don't improve. But we lost 3 starters on D. We were 28th against the run last year and routinely gave up extended drives. We were 24th in turnovers, and we are facing the prospect of having the exact same crap-tacular DL as last year.

At the same time, some of the 2nd year guys like DiGiorgio and Youboty and McCargo had limited playing time and are still going through the learning curve.

If you people honestly think a handful of guys improving from first year to 2nd year with the only added talent being Poz is enough to overcome all of those issues, you're only fooling yourselves.
                      Oh no, you very clearly stated that players don' t improve enough from year 1 to year 2 to make a difference to the team. No I am not a slow learner, as Brad Pitt stuttered while stoned in True Romance "don't condascend me man".

Comment

• don137
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        you guys just had to call him out did ya?

I'm too lazy to look for it but I remember reading to expect status quo from the players going into their second year.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HAMMER
                          Oh no, you very clearly stated that players don' t improve enough from year 1 to year 2 to make a difference to the team. No I am not a slow learner, as Brad Pitt stuttered while stoned in True Romance "don't condascend me man".
                          if we had a mediocre D with one or two players improving to put the D over the edge, you might have a point.

But we had a ****ty D who became even ****tier when 3 starters left. Sorry, but one year of player improvement can't fix that. If we're lucky the player improvement will make the D go from ****ty to just plain bad.

You're also assuming there will be improvement. There could just as easily be a sophomore slump.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• HAMMER
                            • Jul 2003

The glass is always less than half empty for poor Op. What a miserable life.

Comment

• casdhf
                              • Jul 2002

Holcomb looking for a home

July 3, 2007
                              Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 9:28 AM ET | Link

HOLCOMB LOOKING FOR A HOME: According to FoxSports.com Kelly Holcomb doesn't sound opposed to being traded again, to Minnesota. In an interview with Adam Schein he said he's heard the rumors of him being moved to Minnesota and in his mind it makes sense. Obviously Holcomb sees the crowded QB position in Philly with A.J. Feeley and 2nd round pick Kevin Kolb and realizes there's a good chance he'd be the odd man out. Tough to blame him for looking around. ---
                              Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                              cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

Working...
                              X