PDA

View Full Version : Sabres sign Thibault

SpillerThrills
07-05-2007, 07:44 PM
July 5

8:34pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The New York Islanders sign Mike Comrie to a one-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

8:33pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Buffalo Sabres sign goaltender Jocelyn Thibault to a one-year deal.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=4965

Nighthawk
07-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Nice backup goalie. Good signing. Now, how about getting some help for the forwards and some grit and size???

Nighthawk
07-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Comrie signs for 1 year contract and we don't even think about it? Nice player...not great, but might have been a fit here in this system. However, he wouldn't have brought the size we need. I would like Peca back...he brings good leadership and would be out to prove something.

SpillerThrills
07-05-2007, 07:51 PM
and aparently we're looking to sign Andy Sutton from Atlanta.....

PER CBS:
Defenceman Andy Sutton has reportedly agreed a three-year deal with the
Buffalo Sabres. The 6-6 245lb defenceman had 16 points and 76 PIMS with the
Atlanta Thrashers last season. The Sabres will now turn their attention to
retaining winger Tomas Vanek, a restricted free agent.

We'll see what happens in the next couple days.........

SpillerThrills
07-05-2007, 07:54 PM
it's also on the sabres site....

http://sabres.nhl.com/

ct bills fan
07-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Link on the Sutton signing - I don't see it anywhere nor do I believe it.

Philagape
07-05-2007, 08:07 PM
So ... the Sabres' priorities this week have been our fourth-line checker, our 80-year-old defenseman, our goon and a new backup goalie.

I'll try to contain my excitement.

SpillerThrills
07-05-2007, 08:07 PM

http://forums.sabres.com/index.php?showtopic=26535

guy put the list up, then the link later but CBS took down the Sutton writeup...... could be something fell threw or that they haven't made it official yet.... if I see something else on it I'll post it...

Johnny Bugmenot
07-05-2007, 08:39 PM
So ... the Sabres' priorities this week have been our fourth-line checker, our 80-year-old defenseman, our goon and a new backup goalie.

I'll try to contain my excitement.

These signings would indicate to me a drastic change in gameplan. Beef up the defense, secure a better backup goalie, let the forward side thing play out for itself and assume there's enough depth there after what happened earlier this year. It would also indicate to me that Spacek may be on the block.

Like someone said before, I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to the trap. They had some success last year when they played that strategy a handful of times. As long as they can win games, that's OK with me even if it isn't the prettiest thing in the world.

But I still don't know what the heck Darcy/Quinn were thinking when they gave Peters a QO after how poorly he played last year. The guy has a decent shot but he can't skate worth beans. Then again, that's another rant...

chernobylwraiths
07-05-2007, 08:55 PM

Same here.

Says on the Sabres site that we signed Thibault , Michael Ryan, and Andrew Peters.

Nighthawk
07-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Same here.

Says on the Sabres site that we signed Thibault , Michael Ryan, and Andrew Peters.

Good thing the FO has been concentrating on bringing Peters back...he'll surely make this team better. [sarcasm]

Dr. Lecter
07-05-2007, 09:14 PM
If they signed Sutton, I think it is a good move for this defense.

Ebenezer
07-06-2007, 02:38 PM
I think they are out of money except for re-signing Roy and Patsche

Dozerdog
07-06-2007, 02:42 PM

I'll try to contain my excitement.I think the priority was to keep the core of the team together for years to come- not sign 2-3 players like Tampa did then have a fire sale on their 2nd, 3rd lines and defensive core just to stay under the cap

Ebenezer
07-06-2007, 02:59 PM
I think the priority was to keep the core of the team together for years to come- not sign 2-3 players like Tampa did then have a fire sale on their 2nd, 3rd lines and defensive core just to stay under the cap
betting that the core of that team could lift them to better things....I agree but that is a big bet. They are going to need guys like Max and Kotalik to really stand up. I just see them struggling for the next couple of years.