PDA

View Full Version : Its also time to give Marv some credit!

Wally The Barber
07-06-2007, 05:58 AM
There are always some fans that are impatient and it goes with the job as GM. Lets take a close look at what has been accomplished!

The Bills needed a better Offensive line. Marv moved fast in free agency.

The secondary was addressed in last years draft with 3 projected 1st round selections. Whitner, Simpson, Youboty.

The losses of Fletcher and McGahee where replaced with 2 of the most highly regarded players in the draft!

You may be unhappy with the selection of Trent Edwards in the 3rd round but I can assure you he will turn out to be one of the true steals of the entire 2007 draft. Some of you wanted a QB in the first round last season. If you reserch this guy you will find he never should have made the 3rd round!
Consider youself lucky Marv does not liston to the fans.

Marv made the right selection in Dick Jauron and the fans now have stability in the coaching ranks. Do not under estimate its value in player development. The difference between good football players and Great football players is smaller then you think!

Key moves

#1 " The Best Running back in the NFL" was clearly not the best player in the locker room.
Its always smart to learn your playbook while impressing a new coaching staff!

#2 London Fletcher wanted a long term deal but Poz is a better, tougher LB. Perhaps we will see more tackles in the backfield for a change! I will miss Fletcher, but Poz is an upgrade.

#3 Most of you wanted Nate Clemments waived after 2005. The 49'ers simply over paid as Bill Pollion did when he just had to have Jeff Burress. A players needs to be more consistant if he wants top NFL cash!
If Buffalo had matched that deal I think many of you would have had a real problem with Marv Levy.:scratch:

#4 The Darwin Walker situation. Marv simply was dumping salaries and can not lose no matter what happens. Give him credit for that.

#5 If I told you in March that Buffalo would get both Marshawn Lynch and Paul Posluszny on day one of the draft........you guys would have laughed me off the board!

-WALLY

P.S. This is my first thread on this board and I hope you do not think I am a big homer.
Get me some time...

HHURRICANE
07-06-2007, 08:13 AM
I think I would agree that Marv has done a good job. My thread was just stating that he made some mistakes that people tend to look past around here.

#4 you are completely wrong on. We traded for a player that we can't sign. Getting a 6th rounder for Spikes is insane.

The rest of your post I agree with.

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 08:22 AM
how do you figure Edwards was a steal? Everything I've read on the guy says he struggled at Stanford but that was because he didn't have much around him and he's got all the "intangibles", so he's basically a project. That's not really the description of a player who shouldn't have been there in the 3rd round.

And the Darwin Walker situation: No matter what happened, Marv botched this because the trade has a SELF IMPOSED deadline for signing a knowingly disgruntled player. There is ABSOLUTELY no excuse for it. To compound the situation, Walker is the only addition to a horrid DL and if we don't get him signed, our DL is unchanged from last year. That's inexcusable.

As far as Jauron, he seems to have the team prepared but his in-game decision-making is less than stellar. Remember the play last year where he wasted two time outs on the same play by making an ill-advised challenge? The guy has 5 losing seasons out of 6 as HC and still has a lot to prove.

justasportsfan
07-06-2007, 09:14 AM
how do you figure Edwards was a steal? Everything I've read on the guy says he struggled at Stanford but that was because he didn't have much around him and he's got all the "intangibles", so he's basically a project. That's not really the description of a player who shouldn't have been there in the 3rd round.

And the Darwin Walker situation: No matter what happened, Marv botched this because the trade has a SELF IMPOSED deadline for signing a knowingly disgruntled player. There is ABSOLUTELY no excuse for it. To compound the situation, Walker is the only addition to a horrid DL and if we don't get him signed, our DL is unchanged from last year. That's inexcusable.

As far as Jauron, he seems to have the team prepared but his in-game decision-making is less than stellar. Remember the play last year where he wasted two time outs on the same play by making an ill-advised challenge? The guy has 5 losing seasons out of 6 as HC and still has a lot to prove.

Funny you want us to criticize MArv and yet you can't give credit where credit is due. Double standards again

Wally The Barber
07-06-2007, 10:05 AM

The Darwin Walker deal is not over yet...we will see.

Edwards played on an awful football team...Could have been a #1 !

Wally The Barber
07-06-2007, 10:09 AM
I think I would agree that Marv has done a good job. My thread was just stating that he made some mistakes that people tend to look past around here.

#4 you are completely wrong on. We traded for a player that we can't sign. Getting a 6th rounder for Spikes is insane.

The rest of your post I agree with.
Is Darwin still a Buffalo Bill?

It ain't over to the fat lady.....you know!

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Funny you want us to criticize MArv and yet you can't give credit where credit is due. Double standards again

You couldn't be more wrong. I gave Marv credit for some of the things that he's done.

But Wally's trying to give Marv credit for things where criticism-not credit- is warranted. There is no justification for the way the Walker deal went down. Jauron-well I guess we have to wait and see- but at this point there are question marks about him so there is no reason why Marv deserves credit (or blame) yet.

Wally The Barber
07-06-2007, 10:48 AM
You couldn't be more wrong. I gave Marv credit for some of the things that he's done.

But Wally's trying to give Marv credit for things where criticism-not credit- is warranted. There is no justification for the way the Walker deal went down. Jauron-well I guess we have to wait and see- but at this point there are question marks about him so there is no reason why Marv deserves credit (or blame) yet.

The Walker deal is a clear cut game of Poker...this value is higher then a 6th rounder.

Marv will not allow him to leave! Mark my words!

Dick Jauron has the teams support and that is huge!

FlyingDutchman
07-06-2007, 10:52 AM

Well if YOU HEARD Edwards was struggling then you MUST be right, right? He must have sucked then. Give me a break. And you want to pick apart Juron for a single stupid move that you can remember. Guess what, there are 32 coaches last year that made a horrible move at some point in a game. Not sayng he did some amazing job but dont single him out like hes the only guy to make a mistake.

patmoran2006
07-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Marv deserves some credit for creating a plan and sticking with it (to this point)

Like the Sabres, we'll see how serious this team is about winning when it comes time to lock up a bunch of their younger stars.

FlyingDutchman
07-06-2007, 10:58 AM
But Wally's trying to give Marv credit for things where criticism-not credit- is warranted.

Maybe you missed the title of the thread and the understanding that people have opinions. We already had the criticism thread which im sure you busted a nut over.

FlyingDutchman
07-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Like the Sabres, we'll see how serious this team is about winning when it comes time to lock up a bunch of their younger stars.

Dude, can you PLEASE get some new material?

The last buffalo fan
07-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Welcome man, we need more people like you in this place!!!

HAMMER
07-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Welcome Wally, we need more positive people such as yourself.

justasportsfan
07-06-2007, 12:10 PM

bwauhaha. Look whos talking ?You criticize where credit is due.

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Well if YOU HEARD Edwards was struggling then you MUST be right, right? He must have sucked then. Give me a break. And you want to pick apart Juron for a single stupid move that you can remember. Guess what, there are 32 coaches last year that made a horrible move at some point in a game. Not sayng he did some amazing job but dont single him out like hes the only guy to make a mistake.

um, if you really think the move I mentioned was the only stupid move Jauron made, you obviously weren't watching the games. It was merely his most egregious, and maybe the most egregious coaching mistake in all of football last year (aside from Nick Saban's limp-wristed challenge flag).

The fact that he's not the only guy to make a mistake does not make him a good coach. He still has to prove that he's a good coach and I don't see the point in giving Marv credit for hiring Jauron until he proves himself.

HAMMER
07-06-2007, 12:49 PM
um, if you really think the move I mentioned was the only stupid move Jauron made, you obviously weren't watching the games. It was merely his most egregious, and maybe the most egregious coaching mistake in all of football last year (aside from Nick Saban's limp-wristed challenge flag).

The fact that he's not the only guy to make a mistake does not make him a good coach. He still has to prove that he's a good coach and I don't see the point in giving Marv credit for hiring Jauron until he proves himself.

After 27,000 posts you still have a lot to prove before you are considered a good poster. But I have faith, because everyone gets better at what they do with practice, knowing the system, etc.

justasportsfan
07-06-2007, 01:57 PM

Even though these guys have already been wrong about this team so far, they still insist Marv and co. are clueless therefore implying they know better. It's almost like they wish the bills will suck so they can say "i told you so". Of course they will deny it and say they love this team,blah,blah ,blah.

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Even though these guys have already been wrong about this team so far, they still insist Marv and co. are clueless therefore implying they know better. It's almost like they wish the bills will suck so they can say "i told you so". Of course they will deny it and say they love this team,blah,blah ,blah.

this post is so ridiculous that I'm not even going to bother responding.

FlyingDutchman
07-06-2007, 04:09 PM
this post is so ridiculous that I'm not even going to bother responding.

id say its about right on actually. I know you really dont hope they suck, but im sure youd get some sort of satisfaction in knowing you said theyd suck from the get go if it turns out theya actually are terrible. You were way off last year in many of your predictions and they did well, so keep damning your team please.

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 06:56 PM
id say its about right on actually. I know you really dont hope they suck, but im sure youd get some sort of satisfaction in knowing you said theyd suck from the get go if it turns out theya actually are terrible. You were way off last year in many of your predictions and they did well, so keep damning your team please.

you and justa keep saying I was way off.

I want to see where I was way off.

I said the run D would struggle- we gave up more rushing yards in 2006 than we did in 2005.

I said Losman would struggle early- he did.

I said we'd be 6-10- we were 7-9. Not exact but pretty damn close.

I said the DL would suck- it did.

I said Spikes might struggle coming off of his injury- he did.

I was wrong about Peerless, kind of- he wasn't great but he wasn't as bad as I thought he would be.

So what was I so wrong about?

The worst part: none of those predictions were anything so shocking. Actually they're pretty obvious to anyone who knows a little about football- I don't have any connections or superior knowledge. Yet people still challenged me on them.

Same thing with this year. I'm not predicting anything bold or shocking- in fact I've said on numerous occasions that what I'm saying is the most likely outcome. The only reason I could think of for all the objections is that I'm saying things that a lot of people don't want to hear. I don't want them to be true either, but I try to be objective and realistic and make a distinction between what I WANT to happen and what's actually likely to happen.

justasportsfan
07-06-2007, 07:19 PM
you and justa keep saying I was way off.

I want to see where I was way off.

I said the run D would struggle- we gave up more rushing yards in 2006 than we did in 2005.

I said Losman would struggle early- he did.

I said we'd be 6-10- we were 7-9. Not exact but pretty damn close.

I said the DL would suck- it did.

I said Spikes might struggle coming off of his injury- he did.

I was wrong about Peerless, kind of- he wasn't great but he wasn't as bad as I thought he would be.

So what was I so wrong about?

The worst part: none of those predictions were anything so shocking. Actually they're pretty obvious to anyone who knows a little about football- I don't have any connections or superior knowledge. Yet people still challenged me on them.

Same thing with this year. I'm not predicting anything bold or shocking- in fact I've said on numerous occasions that what I'm saying is the most likely outcome. The only reason I could think of for all the objections is that I'm saying things that a lot of people don't want to hear. I don't want them to be true either, but I try to be objective and realistic and make a distinction between what I WANT to happen and what's actually likely to happen.

Everyone was off including myself . Other than skooby no one thought the bills would be in the thick of a playoff birth til' the 16th game. If you deny this then you are a liar.

Almost everyone including yourself also admitted that they exceeded your expectaitions whatever they may be. Instead of giving them a benefit of a doubt, you not only think they are clueless, you KNOW they are wrong and that their moves led us to being a crappy team without camp even starting.

You want us not to believe what the coaches or players say even though we take what they say with a grain of salt and still insist we are homers because our "wait and see" outlook is not enough for you, you want us to agree with you that the bills SUCK even before camp starts. That's stupid. I'd rather wait and see for myself than just trust you. I don't care what happened lasy year.

The dumbest thing about it all is that you want us not to believe the coaches and just "trust you". :rolleyes:

Wally The Barber
07-07-2007, 11:13 AM

I can assure you I am not a homer!

I do believe fans expect a flawless off season and expect excellence with every move the team makes.

Buffalo has clearly moved forward and Marv and the coahing staff are responisible for the improvment!

djjimkelly
07-07-2007, 11:22 AM
There are always some fans that are impatient and it goes with the job as GM. Lets take a close look at what has been accomplished!

The Bills needed a better Offensive line. Marv moved fast in free agency.

The secondary was addressed in last years draft with 3 projected 1st round selections. Whitner, Simpson, Youboty.

The losses of Fletcher and McGahee where replaced with 2 of the most highly regarded players in the draft!

You may be unhappy with the selection of Trent Edwards in the 3rd round but I can assure you he will turn out to be one of the true steals of the entire 2007 draft. Some of you wanted a QB in the first round last season. If you reserch this guy you will find he never should have made the 3rd round!
Consider youself lucky Marv does not liston to the fans.

Marv made the right selection in Dick Jauron and the fans now have stability in the coaching ranks. Do not under estimate its value in player development. The difference between good football players and Great football players is smaller then you think!

Key moves

#1 " The Best Running back in the NFL" was clearly not the best player in the locker room.
Its always smart to learn your playbook while impressing a new coaching staff!

#2 London Fletcher wanted a long term deal but Poz is a better, tougher LB. Perhaps we will see more tackles in the backfield for a change! I will miss Fletcher, but Poz is an upgrade.

#3 Most of you wanted Nate Clemments waived after 2005. The 49'ers simply over paid as Bill Pollion did when he just had to have Jeff Burress. A players needs to be more consistant if he wants top NFL cash!
If Buffalo had matched that deal I think many of you would have had a real problem with Marv Levy.:scratch:

#4 The Darwin Walker situation. Marv simply was dumping salaries and can not lose no matter what happens. Give him credit for that.

#5 If I told you in March that Buffalo would get both Marshawn Lynch and Paul Posluszny on day one of the draft........you guys would have laughed me off the board!

-WALLY

P.S. This is my first thread on this board and I hope you do not think I am a big homer.
Get me some time...

great post bro lots of things ive been preaching i wont agree on clements thing we could have been smarter about that and been proactive but 1 mistake is not the end of the world!!!!!

Wally The Barber
07-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Not worth the cash!

49'ers will pay...trust me!

Michael82
07-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Great thread, Wally! :bf1:

Wys Guy
09-23-2007, 09:45 PM

BTTT

Hey Hammer, you still think we need more positive people?

Not as if it's the team or anything.

LOL

;)

Perhaps if we find a crew of monkeys to come do a show at halftime using coconuts we can find some more happy and positive fans.