PDA

View Full Version : Sabres are cheap????

Dr. Lecter
07-06-2007, 12:52 PM
According to Schopp the payroll is at about 46 million right now. This is all players.

Once the Rochester guys are subtracted (Mancari, Zagrapan, etc.) they are about 44 or so. Add 3 million or so for Roy, their cap number is about 47.

Not cheap. Hopefully they can dump Spacek for an used puck. That might free up some room for a guy like Sutton.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Brilliant. Let both captains go and still manage to find your way into cap Hell.

SabreEleven
07-06-2007, 01:01 PM
They aren't cheap, the FO are a bunch of idiots. They don't manage what they have very well. So much for signing any more FA's.

BlackMetalNinja
07-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Brilliant. Let both captains go and still manage to find your way into cap Hell.

See what I mean... they can't win, you guys won't be happy regardless.

SabreEleven
07-06-2007, 01:02 PM
See what I mean... they can't win, you guys won't be happy regardless.

and you used to not be an idiot. Wait, your post used to not be idiotic. You should work in the Sabres front office.

BlackMetalNinja
07-06-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm sorry, i've stated my position on this already, I'm no more happy about what happened with Briere and Drury then the rest of you... I hate the policy of not negotiating in season... I just don't see the point in stating it 8 million times on this forum and then blindly looking at everything they do or don't do from here on out as automatically a negative thing.

SabreEleven
07-06-2007, 01:05 PM
What have they done that is positive?

Philagape
07-06-2007, 01:06 PM
It's the Sabres who put themselves in a lose-lose situation.

I'll go to my grave believing they could have kept all three for around $16-17 mil per year

BlackMetalNinja
07-06-2007, 01:08 PM
It's the Sabres who put themselves in a lose-lose situation.

I'll go to my grave believing they could have kept all three for around $16-17 mil per year

And then maybe we could have Jocelyn Thibault as our starter in 2 years, yippy skippy!

THATHURMANATOR
07-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Say they signed both to the supposed 4 or 5 mil a year you all have said they could of months ago. Vanek would be gone for sure! Then you would be crying about that.

Philagape
07-06-2007, 01:10 PM
And then maybe we could have Jocelyn Thibault as our starter in 2 years, yippy skippy!

BS. Only if we let Miller get to the end of his contract, which is the MO around here

Philagape
07-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Another plus to locking up players in advance is they'll get cheaper as the salary cap goes up

BlackMetalNinja
07-06-2007, 01:12 PM
BS. Only if we let Miller get to the end of his contract, which is the MO around here

With the market as it is right now, even if we signed him before his contract was up, it would require huge numbers, which we won't have the money for under your plan of retaining all 3 guys at $17/year.

Dr. Lecter
07-06-2007, 01:13 PM

No. Tying the three guys up for 16-20 million dollars would make their cap horrible shape in 3 years when guys like Miller, Stafford, Tallinder, Campbell, Pominville, etc come up for new deals.

It is not as simple as you make it sound.

BlackMetalNinja
07-06-2007, 01:13 PM
No. Tying the three guys up for 16-20 million dollars would make their cap horrible shape in 3 years when guys like Miller, Stafford, Tallinder, Campbell, Pominville, etc come up for new deals.

Shhh logic bad, *****ing good!

THATHURMANATOR
07-06-2007, 01:14 PM
They should work with Miller, Campbell etc on extentions immediatly I agree.

Philagape
07-06-2007, 01:16 PM

Campbell, yes. They said Miller's not eligible until next year

Dr. Lecter
07-06-2007, 01:17 PM

If I understood Darcy correctly, they can only do that when there is one year left so they can't with Miller.

THATHURMANATOR
07-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Campbell, yes. They said Miller's not eligible until next year
Good point.

Philagape
07-06-2007, 01:19 PM

The Ducks won the Cup with three $6 million guys. They chose to go top-heavy, and I lean that way too. Plus, the cap went up $6.3 million this year, so imagine what it will be in two years when Miller is up.

Dr. Lecter
07-06-2007, 01:25 PM
The Ducks also don't have the young talent the Sabres do and are not built for longterm success.

Like it or not, the same FO people hate also built a solid young team that should be very good and competitive years to come.

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm sorry, i've stated my position on this already, I'm no more happy about what happened with Briere and Drury then the rest of you... I hate the policy of not negotiating in season... I just don't see the point in stating it 8 million times on this forum and then blindly looking at everything they do or don't do from here on out as automatically a negative thing.

um- this isn't *****ing about the same thing.

This is new info- not only did we lose both captains but we're still in cap hell.

Please tell me what they've done this off season that will help this team win. Please tell me what they've done that we don't have reason to be negative about.

Dozerdog
07-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Say they signed both to the supposed 4 or 5 mil a year you all have said they could of months ago. Vanek would be gone for sure! Then you would be crying about that.

...and of course, Drury & Briere's agents would have loved to collect 5% of the combined $50 million contracts that peoiple think they would have fallen all over themselves to sign 6 months ago, instead of telling their clients to sit tight and then make 5% off a combined $88 million last week. :rolleyes:

If Rieger has any blame, it's assembling too much talent that turned ripe just at contract time.

Damn you Darcy!!!!!

Dozerdog
07-06-2007, 01:57 PM

We could be like Tampa with one line hogging half the cap

patmoran2006
07-06-2007, 02:35 PM
According to Schopp the payroll is at about 46 million right now. This is all players.

Once the Rochester guys are subtracted (Mancari, Zagrapan, etc.) they are about 44 or so. Add 3 million or so for Roy, their cap number is about 47.

Not cheap. Hopefully they can dump Spacek for an used puck. That might free up some room for a guy like Sutton.
I dont think they are cheap as much as they are bumbling morons who for some reason refuse to see what happens when you WAIT To get everything done.

Dozerdog
07-06-2007, 02:39 PM
I dont think they are cheap as much as they are bumbling morons who for some reason refuse to see what happens when you WAIT To get everything done.

...with the exception of "waiting to the last minute" on Pomenville, Miller, Campbell, Tallinder, ...and so on and so on....

Very selective in your facts

Ebenezer
07-06-2007, 02:48 PM

Darcy was saying that when they do contracts, they try to determine where, economically, the player will be within 5 years. In other words, hedging their bets. They try to get guys cheap based on where they will be...not the potential. That makes sense but when that player gets good they are sure to leave for bigger bucks if DR bets the player will cost little.

ddaryl
07-06-2007, 02:51 PM

If Rieger has any blame, it's assembling too much talent that turned ripe just at contract time.

Damn you Darcy!!!!!

actually not siging players to longer cheaper deals years ago and thinking the new salary cap NHL would keep salaries in check was where the screw up took place.

Allowing them to enter FA at the same time was another big time screw up, and of course not negotiating mid season is yet another bonfide screwup.

I agree with most everyone the FO screwed itself, the club and the fans and now we all just have to hope Reiger can pull a rabbit our his hat and get get this team in a position to WIN the cup, becuase the playoffs themselves mean jack squat if he can;t build a team that clearly dominates its way to a cup victory.