PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Edmonton!

Patrick76777
07-06-2007, 02:03 PM
They just did us the biggest favor ever!

If they don't do this, we cheap out and give Vanek a 2 or 3 year deal and he walks afterwards! now we have him for 7 years!

The Sabres would never have come up with a deal like that on thier own.

Plus, in years 4-7, that salary will seem like nothing for a 50 goal scorer!

Thank you Oilers!!!!!!!

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 02:05 PM
well just don't plan on winning until year 4 because until then the cap is hosed.

Patrick76777
07-06-2007, 02:06 PM
well just don't plan on winning until year 4 because until then the cap is hosed.

Not even close! You're so full of **** all the time.

BlackMetalNinja
07-06-2007, 02:08 PM

Let me get this right... after signing Vanek the cap is hosed... but we would have been just fine signing Drury, Briere, and Vanek? That's it, I'm officially done posting in here for a while, I can't handle anymore of this negativity for the sake of negativity crap.

THATHURMANATOR
07-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Not even close! You're so full of **** all the time.
Yeah seriously. We are in fine shape for years to come. If we would have signed Drury and Briere it would have been hosed.

Patrick76777
07-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah seriously. We are in fine shape for years to come. If we would have signed Drury and Briere it would have been hosed.

Op's nothing but a big vagina on the rag all the time.

All he does is ***** and moan. He’s worse then my wife!

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-06-2007, 02:10 PM
I think maybe a post like this would be better placed in 2-3 years, rather than 2-3 hours after the announced deal.
So many things can happen in a few years, we might not feel the same way.
-
That said, I agree that we would never sign anyone to a long term deal, which I feel is one of the major failings of this regime looking at the long term health of the franchise.

Dozerdog
07-06-2007, 02:12 PM

No hockey knowledge.

Hey Thurm- the same guys jumping off the ledges because we didn't sign anybody "in the richest FA year ever" after the strike, and the same guys who were jumping off bridges because we let a number of guys walk last year (McKee, Dumont, Grier, and so on)- let the negative Nancys have their day.

Will we be the #1 regular season team next year? Prolly not. But look at this team 5 years from now- I think we will continue to put a very good team out there.

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Let me get this right... after signing Vanek the cap is hosed... but we would have been just fine signing Drury, Briere, and Vanek? That's it, I'm officially done posting in here for a while, I can't handle anymore of this negativity for the sake of negativity crap.

We lost two captains. We had to pay $6.4 million against the cap for a 2nd year player (vanek NEVER should have cost that much). We're at $46 million in payroll WITHOUT replacing Drury and Briere yet, and even if we had the money, most of the talented guys are already signed.

On top of all that, the FO completely botched the re-signings, which is only going to encourage our guys to leave and discourage new players from coming here.

So please tell me again... why is this being negative for the sake of being negative? Anyone who wants this team to win has plenty of legitimate reasons to be negative.

Sorry some of us can't be like you and Thurm and just pretend the last week didn't happen. or pretend that the team is still as good as it was when the season ended.

BlackMetalNinja
07-06-2007, 02:15 PM
We lost two captains. We had to pay $6.4 million against the cap for a 2nd year player (vanek NEVER should have cost that much). We're at $46 million in payroll WITHOUT replacing Drury and Briere yet, and even if we had the money, most of the talented guys are already signed.

On top of all that, the FO completely botched the re-signings, which is only going to encourage our guys to leave and discourage new players from coming here.

So please tell me again... why is this being negative for the sake of being negative? Anyone who wants this team to win has plenty of legitimate reasons to be negative.

Sorry some of us can't be like you and Thurm and just pretend the last week didn't happen. or pretend that the team is still as good as it was when the season ended.

You completely neglected to answer the part where I asked how the cap is hosed after signing Vanek, yet it would have been fine had we signed Drury, Briere, AND Vanek...

Dozerdog
07-06-2007, 02:15 PM

Please explain how they "Botched" re-signings.

Players just fall over themselves taking a lot less? Please educate me on this

LtBillsFan66
07-06-2007, 02:16 PM
LOL Pat!!!

SkateZilla
07-06-2007, 02:17 PM
They just did us the biggest favor ever!

If they don't do this, we cheap out and give Vanek a 2 or 3 year deal and he walks afterwards! now we have him for 7 years!

The Sabres would never have come up with a deal like that on thier own.

Plus, in years 4-7, that salary will seem like nothing for a 50 goal scorer!

Thank you Oilers!!!!!!!

2 years 2 Million is darcy's style...

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Will we be the #1 regular season team next year? Prolly not.

So you're admitting regression. That's reason alone to be pissed off. Instead of making the necessary tweaks or adding the missing pieces to complete the Cup run, they tear the heart out of the team and in the process send up red flags to veteran players.

This is NOT the Bills. This is NOT a team that that has been struggling for years and needed a different direction. This is a team that was 5 wins from the Cup two seasons ago and 7 wins from the Cup last season.

And now, you're saying we have to wait 5 years for a run, and that doesn't bother you at all? WTF?

Patrick76777
07-06-2007, 02:18 PM
LOL Pat!!!

LMAO!

God I miss the old times. This place was SO funny!

Patrick76777
07-06-2007, 02:20 PM
And now, you're saying we have to wait 5 years for a run, and that doesn't bother you at all? WTF?

He didn't say that!

He said that the team won't be #1 in the Reg season. But it's hockey. Get to the playoffs, your goalies gets hot (totally possible with Miller) and you win a cup!

Dude, you're never happy about anything. Everyone here knows that!

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 02:20 PM

Not negotiating during the season.

Not completing the contract they agreed on with Drury previously.

Not making offers that were competitive with what other teams were offering

Waiting until two days before FA started to make the offers, instead of doing it earlier when there was time to negotiate

Not working with Briere's agent and basically pissing him off enough that he wanted to leave town (see his post-signing press conferences)

Not offering Vanek a contract sooner

Did I miss anything?

BlackMetalNinja
07-06-2007, 02:21 PM
So you're admitting regression. That's reason alone to be pissed off. Instead of making the necessary tweaks or adding the missing pieces to complete the Cup run, they tear the heart out of the team and in the process send up red flags to veteran players.

This is NOT the Bills. This is NOT a team that that has been struggling for years and needed a different direction. This is a team that was 5 wins from the Cup two seasons ago and 7 wins from the Cup last season.

Not only have you not answered my question, you've added to it. So now we can sign Drury, Briere, Vanek, and make some tweaks to get us over the top to win the cup, but that's find and dandy as far as cap room goes.

Signing Vanek alone however has "hosed the cap" for the next 4 years. Your line of logic here is baffling me to no end!

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Dude, you're never happy about anything. Everyone here knows that!

I'd be plenty happy about winning but that never seems to happen.

And in this case-
A) Plenty of other people are pissed as well- read the posts here- it's not just me
B) There are a load of legit reasons for anyone who wants this team to win to be pissed off.

What is it with Buffalo fans defending mediocrity and incompetence? I'm really getting sick of it.

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Not only have you not answered my question, you've added to it. So now we can sign Drury, Briere, Vanek, and make some tweaks to get us over the top to win the cup, but that's find and dandy as far as cap room goes.

Signing Vanek alone however has "hosed the cap" for the next 4 years. Your line of logic here is baffling me to no end!

actually, no it isn't. You're not thinking the whole thing through.

Negotiate during the season. Lock Drury up earlier, which they had the opportunity to do. Was it possible to keep all 3? Probably not. But it was possible to keep two and be in better cap shape than we are now with just Vanek. Inaction on the part of the FO killed us. There are plenty of ways that this could have worked out where we would be in much better shape.

Patrick76777
07-06-2007, 02:25 PM
LMAO!

God I miss the old times. This place was SO funny!

23 year old kid, in 2 season, 68 goals, 64 assists and 132 points! Locked up for 7 years.

Funny thing is, JP (Who has my support this year) doesn't have numbers even close to being comparable, but yet, I bet Op would give him the biggest contract ever!

Patrick76777
07-06-2007, 02:27 PM

And in this case-
A) Plenty of other people are pissed as well- read the posts here- it's not just me
B) There are a load of legit reasons for anyone who wants this team to win to be pissed off.

What is it with Buffalo fans defending mediocrity and incompetence? I'm really getting sick of it.

They won a ton last year! Just not the whole thing. If you're only happy when a team wins the whole thing you should give up sports. Because it doesn't happen often! Even if you're in the big markets!

BlackMetalNinja
07-06-2007, 02:27 PM
actually, no it isn't. You're not thinking the whole thing through.

Negotiate during the season. Lock Drury up earlier, which they had the opportunity to do. Was it possible to keep all 3? Probably not. But it was possible to keep two and be in better cap shape than we are now with just Vanek. Inaction on the part of the FO killed us. There are plenty of ways that this could have worked out where we would be in much better shape.

And where was the part of that press conference today saying Vanek was just dying to sign a contract for much less months ago and not test out the fact that he knew he was in for a huge payday by not signing before Free Agency?

BlackMetalNinja
07-06-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm really getting sick of it.

Probably almost as sick of it as I am over all the apparant sand in your vagina.

THATHURMANATOR
07-06-2007, 02:28 PM
No hockey knowledge.

Hey Thurm- the same guys jumping off the ledges because we didn't sign anybody "in the richest FA year ever" after the strike, and the same guys who were jumping off bridges because we let a number of guys walk last year (McKee, Dumont, Grier, and so on)- let the negative Nancys have their day.

Will we be the #1 regular season team next year? Prolly not. But look at this team 5 years from now- I think we will continue to put a very good team out there.
I am with you!

Patrick76777
07-06-2007, 02:29 PM
They won a ton last year! Just not the whole thing. If you're only happy when a team wins the whole thing you should give up sports. Because it doesn't happen often! Even if you're in the big markets!

hey I'm outta here for the weekend.

And no matter what Op-Crybaby says, this is a great day for the sabres..

THATHURMANATOR
07-06-2007, 02:29 PM

And in this case-

Yeah we have the most regular season wins in the league last two years. How mediocre.... :ill:

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 02:30 PM
And where was the part of that press conference today saying Vanek was just dying to sign a contract for much less months ago and not test out the fact that he knew he was in for a huge payday by not signing before Free Agency?

and so the FO shouldn't even make him an offer?

And how does that get the FO off the hook for the way the Drury and Briere situations were handled? How does that get the FO off the hook for the state of the salary cap?

No matter how you look at it, the team has taken a step backwards. We, as fans, have EVERY reason to be negative right now.

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 02:31 PM
23 year old kid, in 2 season, 68 goals, 64 assists and 132 points! Locked up for 7 years.

Funny thing is, JP (Who has my support this year) doesn't have numbers even close to being comparable, but yet, I bet Op would give him the biggest contract ever!

Your sig says "Resign our own guys!" Well, what about Drury, Briere, and Zubrus?

I'm done with you- your JP comment proves you don't even read my posts.

Dozerdog
07-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Not negotiating during the season.

Not completing the contract they agreed on with Drury previously.

Not making offers that were competitive with what other teams were offering

Waiting until two days before FA started to make the offers, instead of doing it earlier when there was time to negotiate

Not working with Briere's agent and basically pissing him off enough that he wanted to leave town (see his post-signing press conferences)

Not offering Vanek a contract sooner

Did I miss anything?

..and all of this is the FO's fault (even if any of this is as you paint it without full knowledge of the facts) and players, agents, and the reality of keeping as many young players under contract as long as possible doesnt equate into any of this

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 02:35 PM
..and all of this is the FO's fault (even if any of this is as you paint it without full knowledge of the facts) and players, agents, and the reality of keeping as many young players under contract as long as possible doesnt equate into any of this

I did miss something- doing nothing with Zubrus.

Is it all the FO's fault? Probably not entirely- realistically, there was no way we were keeping all 3. But there is NO DOUBT that this situation could have been handled much better. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you. I don't understand this "the team is worse- oh well" attitude.

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah we have the most regular season wins in the league last two years. How mediocre.... :ill:

yeah, you're right.

We should be happy with almost winning the Cup and then rebuilding. In a few years maybe we'll almost win the Cup again! Woo-hoo!

THATHURMANATOR
07-06-2007, 02:47 PM
yeah, you're right.

We should be happy with almost winning the Cup and then rebuilding. In a few years maybe we'll almost win the Cup again! Woo-hoo!
We certainly are NOT rebuilding....

mchurchfie
07-06-2007, 02:54 PM
We certainly are NOT rebuilding....Oh yeah, that's right..we have Peters and Mair back in the fold.:coocoo:

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 02:55 PM

We let 3 vets walk.

We didn't replace them so the replacements will have to be young guys from within the organization.

We gave a huge contract to a 3rd year guy and made him the key to our offense.

ie, cleaning house and making room for the young guys. If that's not rebuilding, I don't know what is.

ParanoidAndroid
07-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Op......I dunno man. I've watched your posts get worse and worse. I think you may have a point about the Drury situation, but as far as Vanek hosing the cap, I just don't agree.

Ebenezer
07-06-2007, 02:58 PM
I don't deny that..but we are not progressing. They are putting a whole bunch of eggs in a basket betting that the "core" will get better and be where they were last and this year. They are thinking about the future. That I cannot deny. But it is a big bet - step back to be good in 3 years. From my POV that is hard to swallow right now - to have been so close and now take a step back. I like the Vanek signing even though it is costing them up front is years 4-7 he will be cheap. I like the Thiebault signing. I would love if they get Sutton in here and lose Spacek. It is just hard knowing that they may stuggle to 7th or 8th and probably not get by the first round. They obviously made their decision to make one more run but it didn't work.

Dozerdog
07-06-2007, 02:59 PM
I don't deny that..but we are not progressing. They are putting a whole bunch of eggs in a basket betting that the "core" will get better and be where they were last and this year. They are thinking about the future. That I cannot deny. But it is a big bet - step back to be good in 3 years. From my POV that is hard to swallow right now - to have been so close and now take a step back. I like the Vanek signing even though it is costing them up front is years 4-7 he will be cheap. I like the Thiebault signing. I would love if they get Sutton in here and lose Spacek. It is just hard knowing that they may stuggle to 7th or 8th and probably not get by the first round. They obviously made their decision to make one more run but it didn't work.

I'm sure that's what they said in Ottawa last year when they let a bunch of huge named vets go.

mchurchfie
07-06-2007, 03:01 PM
No hockey knowledge.

If you don't think those three couldn't have helped us in the PO's you're the one that is has no hockey knowledge. The lack of toughness is what knocked us out early.

Looking At The World Thru Rose Colored Glasses Lyrics
Artist(Band):Frank Sinatra

Looking at the world through rose colored glasses,
Everything is rosy now.
Looking at the world and everything that passes,
Seems of rosy hue somehow.
Why do I feel so spry, don't wink your eye,
Needn't guess I'll confess, certain someone just said yes.
In a bungalow all covered with roses, I will settle down I vow,
That's why I'm looking at the world through rose colored glasses,
Everything is rosy now.

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 03:02 PM

:bf1:

This pretty much hits the nail on the head right here.

A week ago we were an elite team in the league, in serious cup contention for two consecutive seasons. Now, we've regressed. And it's going to take time to get back where we were.

Thurm, Pat, BMN, Dozer- how can you not be frustrated by that? Doesn't it bother you that we were so close but couldn't close the deal, and now we have to work just to get back to that level?

Like I said- I don't understand the "The team got worse, oh well" attitude.

Dozerdog
07-06-2007, 03:03 PM
If you don't think those three couldn't have helped us in the PO's you're the one that is has no hockey knowledge. The lack of toughness is what knocked us out early.

Yeah- but reality says we can't have a payroll of $50 million last season

If only McKee, Grier and JP would play for $2 million a season! Greedy bastards!

mchurchfie
07-06-2007, 03:09 PM

If only McKee, Grier and JP would play for $2 million a season! Greedy bastards!
If they wouldn't have dropped the ball EXACTLY like they did this year they could have had McKee for what they paid Spacek. Grier could have been fit in too, he wasn't asking that much but even he questioned the FO and their committment to winning so he went elsewhere (see the pattern???) JP was over priced they did good to walk away from him. But no, we're just being negative nancies about the FO, god forbid anyone question their strategies even as ******ed as they are. :rolleyes:

Everything is rosy now.
Everything is rosy now.

Ebenezer
07-06-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm sure that's what they said in Ottawa last year when they let a bunch of huge named vets go.
Havlat and Chara vs. Drury, Briere and Zubrus?? Huge difference.

Ebenezer
07-06-2007, 03:14 PM
If they wouldn't have dropped the ball EXACTLY like they did this year they could have had McKee for what they paid Spacek. Grier could have been fit in too, he wasn't asking that much but even he questioned the FO and their committment to winning so he went elsewhere (see the pattern???) JP was over priced they did good to walk away from him. But no, we're just being negative nancies about the FO, god forbid anyone question their strategies even as ******ed as they are. :rolleyes:

Everything is rosy now.
Everything is rosy now.

Grier was offered the same money as he got from SJ. Grier viewed the actions of the team as no committment. I hang that one on Grier.

HAMMER
07-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Op's nothing but a big vagina on the rag all the time.

All he does is ***** and moan. He’s worse then my wife!

This should definitely qualify as post of the year.

Mitchy moo
07-06-2007, 03:28 PM
This should definitely qualify as post of the year.

Top 3 for sure.

BlackMetalNinja
07-06-2007, 03:31 PM
:bf1:

This pretty much hits the nail on the head right here.

A week ago we were an elite team in the league, in serious cup contention for two consecutive seasons. Now, we've regressed. And it's going to take time to get back where we were.

Thurm, Pat, BMN, Dozer- how can you not be frustrated by that? Doesn't it bother you that we were so close but couldn't close the deal, and now we have to work just to get back to that level?

Like I said- I don't understand the "The team got worse, oh well" attitude.

Talk about not reading others posts... How many times do I have to say that I'm not happy about it either... oh wait, apparantly I have to say it in every single post for weeks on end like the rest of you.

Typ0
07-06-2007, 05:02 PM

they were willing to pay Drury probably MORE than what he got in NY. Somewhere, someone botched these negotiations. Drury should be on this team for similar numbers there is no doubt in my mind and I hold the organization responsible.

Typ0
07-06-2007, 05:04 PM
No hockey knowledge.

I agree we have put together a good club and will remain competitive...that's great but the objective is to get to the top of the heap not just remain competitive. I'm not sure how we are going to get to the top of the heap right now. And I don't need to see a lot of top tier FA to make me warm and fuzzy. I want to know who is going to be replacing the guys who are going to replace Drury and Briere...

OpIv37
07-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Talk about not reading others posts... How many times do I have to say that I'm not happy about it either... oh wait, apparantly I have to say it in every single post for weeks on end like the rest of you.

"I'm frustrated by it, but oh well" ?

That makes no sense to me.

Nighthawk
07-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Holy crap! When the hell are certain people on this board (and you know who you all are) going to get over themselves and understand that everybody is entitled to their own opinions?!?! Just discuss the topic! Just because someone doesn't agree, doesn't mean they don't know hockey, it just means they don't agree with you!!! Grow up and everybody will be better off for it!

Ebenezer
07-06-2007, 08:09 PM
I agree we have put together a good club and will remain competitive...that's great but the objective is to get to the top of the heap not just remain competitive. I'm not sure how we are going to get to the top of the heap right now. And I don't need to see a lot of top tier FA to make me warm and fuzzy. I want to know who is going to be replacing the guys who are going to replace Drury and Briere...
I agree but I don't think it matters...there is no money left in the budget this year and the Sabres may always have that internal cap that limits what they can do. The more the cap goes up the less chance they will be able to get a CD like player...except through trade which means moving some of the talent that other posters are bragging so much about.

Typ0
07-06-2007, 08:26 PM
I agree but I don't think it matters...there is no money left in the budget this year and the Sabres may always have that internal cap that limits what they can do. The more the cap goes up the less chance they will be able to get a CD like player...except through trade which means moving some of the talent that other posters are bragging so much about.

who said there is no money left and who set the "internal cap" you are talking about? I think the fans and journalists set that cap myself.

Ebenezer
07-06-2007, 08:39 PM
who said there is no money left and who set the "internal cap" you are talking about? I think the fans and journalists set that cap myself.
true, they did say that they would spend more and they didn't say how much more...although I think there was a previous press conference with LQ where the number 45 mil got thrown out by Quinn.

BlackMetalNinja
07-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Holy crap! When the hell are certain people on this board (and you know who you all are) going to get over themselves and understand that everybody is entitled to their own opinions?!?! Just discuss the topic! Just because someone doesn't agree, doesn't mean they don't know hockey, it just means they don't agree with you!!! Grow up and everybody will be better off for it!

Because regardless of what the topic is, you guys change it to *****ing about the FO! See my "what do the Sabres need" thread for proof.

Nighthawk
07-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Because regardless of what the topic is, you guys change it to *****ing about the FO! See my "what do the Sabres need" thread for proof.

Sorry, I don't think the SAbres are where they need to be to win a Cup. I guess you would rather have everyone who doesn't agree with you lie, just to make you feel like everything on Earth is OK! Come on now!

BlackMetalNinja
07-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Sorry, I don't think the SAbres are where they need to be to win a Cup. I guess you would rather have everyone who doesn't agree with you lie, just to make you feel like everything on Earth is OK! Come on now!

You guys don't listen. I f'n agree with you, I just don't feel the need to start 2385 threads and ***** endlessly in each of them about the same things over and over and over again.

Ebenezer
07-06-2007, 08:58 PM

Actually, Grier is getting less than $2 mil and turned down the Sabres for the same money...McKee only wanted around $3mil, no?

Dumont? No money left to pay him - that isn't on anybody.

Typ0
07-06-2007, 11:03 PM
true, they did say that they would spend more and they didn't say how much more...although I think there was a previous press conference with LQ where the number 45 mil got thrown out by Quinn.

exactly, the self imposed cap is a bunch of banter between blowhards. the organization wants to have the most value from the dollars they spend and now are dealing with the repercussions of being one of the top teams in the league.

Earthquake Enyart
07-10-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm with you Pat.

mchurchfie
07-11-2007, 02:44 AM
Grier was offered the same money as he got from SJ. Grier viewed the actions of the team as no committment. I hang that one on Grier.
After the actions of the FO over the last few months you would have to agree that maybe Grier was just a little on track about what he was saying, wouldn't you??:dizzy:

Ebenezer
07-11-2007, 09:38 AM
I can't deny that...I said in another thread that Grier's actions were the key to the whole Drury/Briere "debacle". Not that Sabres were not committed but I don't think this team understood what it was going to take to keep that team together money-wise. They guessed correctly on where the game was going post-lock out but they completely dropped the ball economically.