PDA

View Full Version : Although I'm not a fan of this FO, I was happy about this...

Nighthawk
07-06-2007, 07:23 PM
...I liked the fact that they called out the Oilers and told other organizations to not come here looking to pluck our players. As they said, an eye for an eye and I hope they follow through. The Oilers making this ridiculous offer when they were told first hand that the Sabres would match is a slap in the face of this organization. On the other hand, the FO did bring this upon themselves by not showing the rest of the league that they are serious about keeping their star players. I know the system is in place to allow other teams to sign players to offer sheets, but it just seems to wreak of sticking it to the Sabres and I would have been pissed too if I was Darcy. For this one day...I have to give Quinn and Darcy credit for calling out the Oilers for what they did.

Ebenezer
07-06-2007, 08:11 PM
...I liked the fact that they called out the Oilers and told other organizations to not come here looking to pluck our players. As they said, an eye for an eye and I hope they follow through. The Oilers making this ridiculous offer when they were told first hand that the Sabres would match is a slap in the face of this organization. On the other hand, the FO did bring this upon themselves by not showing the rest of the league that they are serious about keeping their star players. I know the system is in place to allow other teams to sign players to offer sheets, but it just seems to wreak of sticking it to the Sabres and I would have been pissed too if I was Darcy. For this one day...I have to give Quinn and Darcy credit for calling out the Oilers for what they did.
I think it is one of the worse things they could have done...be seething about it but saying it makes you look petty and vindictive. Will other teams now trust DR to make a trade? Will agents trust him during negotiations? Nice to see them stand up? Maybe, but not if it cuts the hand that will help this team improve in the future.

YardRat
07-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Pussies. They made the bed, now all of us are going to have to lie in it.

This reminds me a lot of the time the Broncos signed Bruce to an offer sheet.

Typ0
07-06-2007, 08:27 PM
I think it is one of the worse things they could have done...be seething about it but saying it makes you look petty and vindictive. Will other teams now trust DR to make a trade? Will agents trust him during negotiations? Nice to see them stand up? Maybe, but not if it cuts the hand that will help this team improve in the future.

but they didn't call us out by making that offer in the first place when they knew damn well we were going to pay it?

Ebenezer
07-06-2007, 08:39 PM
but they didn't call us out by making that offer in the first place when they knew damn well we were going to pay it?
I don't know what that means.

I don't remember EDM having a press conference and blasting the Sabres.

Nighthawk
07-06-2007, 08:50 PM

I hear ya, but it's just nice to see somebody call it what it was and it was a bull***** thing to do on EDM part. Hey, it's part of the process in place, but you don't have to agree with it. The worst part is that EDM hurt itself in the process because they are a small market team also. Everything about it was stupid on EDM's part.

Ebenezer
07-06-2007, 08:52 PM
I hear ya, but it's just nice to see somebody call it what it was and it was a bull***** thing to do on EDM part. Hey, it's part of the process in place, but you don't have to agree with it. The worst part is that EDM hurt itself in the process because they are a small market team also. Everything about it was stupid on EDM's part.
I don't know. They showed their fans they were willing to be a player. They have been hit in FA and losing players more than the Sabres. They needed a splash.

Nighthawk
07-06-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't know. They showed their fans they were willing to be a player. They have been hit in FA and losing players more than the Sabres. They needed a splash.

That's part of my point. They did it just to show their fans, not necessarily to sign Vanek. That is what is wrong with the whole thing. They knew the Sabres were going to match, but they did it knowing there was no way Vanek was coming. Just silly in my opinion.

Typ0
07-06-2007, 10:58 PM

it means making the offer was calling us out. we have a ton of talent on the team and the entire league is looking to beat us down so they have a better chance of winning. we were forced into paying vanek big $$$ and EDM would have been glad to have him.

Ebenezer
07-07-2007, 12:38 AM
it could be viewed that they called out the Sabres by offering the contract...but they didn't verbally do something to provoke future problems - semantics.

Nighthawk
07-07-2007, 09:53 AM
it could be viewed that they called out the Sabres by offering the contract...but they didn't verbally do something to provoke future problems - semantics.

I agree, but offering the contract itself after they were told repeatedly that it was pointless was a slap in the face and bad for the league.