• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

I will defend the Front Office if...

There was a hint in the press conference that there were indications that the Sabres knew Vanek was getting huge offers. There was a point where they said that Vanek heard from almost every team in the league and that they (the Sabres) had talked to a lot of teams about it). If they knew he was getting some real interest at $5mil or more and they knew it and they decided to follow Vanek as the future then I can understand that they let DB and CD go to get Vanek under the cap. I can defend that philosophy - I can't defend them not getting CD under contract at a cheaper price earlier....but, I can at least understand them doing what they did.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: I will defend the Front Office if...

I'll defend the front office if they win it all.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

That was one of my points about the front office, what seems like a bad idea in letting Drury / Briere go is a neccessity because of Vanek's demand. He's only been in the league for 3 years and has a big upside. The FO also tied him up for his first 10 years. He'll be a 50 Goal scorer this season and will be a great value within 3 years.

Comment

• carybillsfan
        • Aug 2003

Alright I talked to agent assistants and they told me they were hearing Vanek turned down informal offers of $6M/yr from various teams. These weren't formal offers just kind of feel them out chatter. Also a good source revealed to me that Buffalo was trying to get him in for about $5M but his agent said he wouldn't settle for less than $7M.

Don't yell at me I'm just a messenger.

Comment

• carybillsfan
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Skooby
          That was one of my points about the front office, what seems like a bad idea in letting Drury / Briere go is a neccessity because of Vanek's demand. He's only been in the league for 3 years and has a big upside. The FO also tied him up for his first 10 years. He'll be a 50 Goal scorer this season and will be a great value within 3 years.
          My opinion has drasyically changed of the FO after talking to a few of my friends. Darcy and Quinn were well aware of the demand sof Drury, Briere and Vaneks agent since January. There was no way they could afford them all. I'm also hearing Soup will be getting attention next but I have little faith because his price is skyrocketing.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

if this is the case, what was the point in offering Briere and Drury low-ball contracts? It made them look like idiots. Why not just come right out and say "we're going in a different direction" so it seems deliberate instead of incompetent?
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• carybillsfan
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
              if this is the case, what was the point in offering Briere and Drury low-ball contracts? It made them look like idiots. Why not just come right out and say "we're going in a different direction" so it seems deliberate instead of incompetent?
              I think they were trying to deflate the market if Briere and Drury sign for 5-6M Vanek probably comes in for 6 also. I think it was a mistake but in hindsight it was worth the try. It just blew up in their face because it went public.

Comment

• RockStar36
                Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by YardRat
                I'll defend the front office if they win it all.
                Sorry. If they win it all there won't be any room to hop back on the wagon. Shouldn't have got off it in the first place Yardie!

D & S Sports

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
                  they must have wanted someone other than drury and they better come up with that guy or we have a lot of talent that's just going to need help.

Comment

• Typ0
                    honey pie
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
                    Sorry. If they win it all there won't be any room to hop back on the wagon. Shouldn't have got off it in the first place Yardie!
                    if they win it all you are going to stand there in armor and tell all the band wagon jumpers to f off?

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                      Roways rooking ahread!
                      • Sep 2005

You have to try to save face with the other remaining players you have. If you know you are going to come to Buffalo to play hockey and work your butt off your going to have a chance to get paid.

They felt keeping Vanek was a priority and obviously never planned on him leaving (match any offer) so they did well.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                        • Jan 2003

How could the FO know that Vanek was getting serious interest if he couldn't even TALK to another team until FA started?

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                          How could the FO know that Vanek was getting serious interest if he couldn't even TALK to another team until FA started?
                          you mean just like Shaq happened to sign with the Lakers just seconds after FA started that year even though it was known that his agent was having dinner with Jerry West several times before free agency...just like the Bills signed Bryce Paup, Chris Spielman and Ted Washington (I think) within minutes of the opening of FA one year...come on. Tampering happens all the time. Regardless, even if there were no talks until a few weeks ago (RFAs were able to start negotiations with other teams back in June) the Sabres heard what was going on...they even said it in their press conference today. They knew where the market was going. They aren't upset that EDM made an offer they are mad that it was so high and destabilizes the market for all players.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                            Give me a minute...
                            • Jul 2002

that was to save face....there are many fans out there that don't or don't want to understand the economics of the game (i.e., casual fans who are going to go no matter what) and they make it look like they did something to hold onto those fans.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
                              they must have wanted someone other than drury

I'll disagree to a point...I partially think they ASSUMED they had Drury somewhat cheap and that he would just be happy to sign back and that Drury and Vanek would be the future of the team with Drury riding off into the sunset in a couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                              X