• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Sabres retain Vanek by matching Oilers' $ 50 mil offer

Losing Chris Drury and Daniel Briere to free agency was bad enough. The Buffalo Sabres weren't going to let high-scoring youngster Thomas Vanek get away at any price.
    Without hesitation, the Sabres signed Vanek to a seven-year, $50 million contract Friday, matching the offer the player received from the Edmonton Oilers.
    "We matched it for a lot of different reasons," Sabres general manager Darcy Regier said. "One, was to say to everyone in the National Hockey League, 'If you want to shop this way, don't come here."'
    The Oilers move also enraged Buffalo, with Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn warning his team will consider making offers to Edmonton players in the future. "I'm happy we have Thomas for seven years. I think that's really important to state here," Quinn said. "But it's not doing the Edmonton Oilers any good what they did today."

• BlackMetalNinja
    I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
    • May 2005

Re: Sabres retain Vanek by matching Oilers' $ 50 mil offer

That's been quite thoroughly covered here already Shelby... We only had a raging debate for most of the day yesterday about it...

Comment

• shelby
      The Vanilla *****
      • Jul 2002

Bite me, Scott....i was too lazy to read through the threads to see if the actual story was posted.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
        I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
        • May 2005

Originally posted by shelby
        Bite me, Scott....i was too lazy to read through the threads to see if the actual story was posted.
        Yeah, it would be that giant 160+ post thread, along with several other lengthy ones... It was a little testy in here yesterday afternoon again.

And where exactly shall I bite you?

Comment

• Mitchy moo
          Roways rooking ahread!
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
          Yeah, it would be that giant 160+ post thread, along with several other lengthy ones... It was a little testy in here yesterday afternoon again.

And where exactly shall I bite you?
          You can't bite her in her house, the TV fills like 80% of it.

Comment

• HeShootsHeScores
            • Jul 2007

This is a good sign, at least Quinn isn't all that stupid, I give him props for doing this, smart move Quinn, I'd like to see more of them.
            Saku Koivu: "This is no time to chicken out, for god's sake this is the playoffs, now it's time to earn that cup!"

Comment

Working...
            X