• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Briere’s agent disputes Sabres’ version of negotiations

This isn’t meant to ruin your Sunday breakfast, but the Buffalo Sabres keep digging their hole deeper and deeper. They can no longer blame the media or the Edmonton Oilers or the collective bargaining agreement for their dizzying week of mismanagement loaded with halftruths and spin control.

Now, an agent, Pat Brisson, is stepping forward with enough gumption to say publicly what people suspected all along, that managing partner Larry Quinn wasn’t telling the whole truth last week. Quinn claimed General Manager Darcy Regier called Brisson, who represents Daniel Briere, and never received a return phone call.

“For the record, Darcy Regier did call Pat Brisson in January,” Quinn said Friday. “There was no offer back to us about any kind of discount or anything. So I think we ought to make the record clear on that. If there had been and everybody came together and said, ‘Let’s all chip in,’ we would have tried to figure out a way.”

According to Brisson, the Sabres never called his office at any point during the season. In fact, he hadn’t heard from them since last summer, the day before Briere was awarded a one-year contract worth $5 million. Brisson at the time was pressing the Sabres to sign Briere to a fiveyear deal worth $25 million, which the Sabres rejected.

“For the record, I had not spoken about a contract extension whatsoever until three days before free agency,” Brisson said from Los Angeles. “I did not get a call in January. I’m not taking a shot at Darcy because I do respect Darcy. But to say that we did get a call? We did not get a call.”

Brisson was none too thrilled to hear his name dragged through a news conference Friday, when Quinn insisted the call was made. As for the five-year offer for $25 million, Briere still would have accepted it six months ago, even after it became apparent he stood to make much more in the open market.

Briere wanted to stay in Buffalo, as he said all along, and was waiting for the Sabres to make him an offer, as he said all along. Why didn’t he inform the Sabres he would have accepted a deal under those terms? Because he figured it would be better to wait until they showed genuine interest.

Instead, they let him dangle.
    Somebody's not telling the truth.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: Briere’s agent disputes Sabres’ version of negotiations

Quinn is an attorney....nuff said.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
      Will not tolerate vandalism.
      • Apr 2006

Waits for the obligatory "Bucky Gleason is a liar and a hack" post...

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
        Quinn is an attorney....nuff said.
        And the other guy might be one too and is an agent at least.

This is a tough one to figure out who is lying, unless his secretary messed up.

Of course, the Sabres could have made a second call.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Dude
          that slimey ass of an ***** at the zone
          • Feb 2005

I believe the agent.

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

regardless the responsibility is on the sabres

i doubt all those positive comments of the two players about wanting to stay were lies

total botch job and personally im furious. no one on the planet can deny theres a similar pattern when it comes to this, and it has quinn all over it. if golisano canned one or both of those guys right now i wouldnt give a damn

im not usually like that and i do like darcy but this is a job losing screwup and they deserve whatever fallout they suffer from it
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              And the other guy might be one too and is an agent at least.

This is a tough one to figure out who is lying, unless his secretary messed up.

Of course, the Sabres could have made a second call.
              where there is smoke there is fire...everybody who opens their mouth lets more light in that somebody at HSBC is running a shoddy operation.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

it doesn't matter whose telling the truth in this case. No matter what way you look at it players constantly see reason to take shots at this organization after they leave and that indicates something more important IMO.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                  • May 2003

I think the Sabres were afraid to give a big contract out to a player for that length of time. I have to believe they didn't want Briere back for a 5-year contract where he will be in his early 30s. I don't think they wanted to sign the Vanek deal but because of their image being destroyed over the past week or so, they really had to. I believe that is why they were so outraged at the Oilers signing Vanek to an offer sheet. They F'd up this offseason and I have to believe they felt they could retain Drury and let Briere walk and everything would be hunky-dory. It blew up in their faces. Unfortunately because of this mess up we will have to listen to Sabres fans for the next 10 years say how they should or should have negotiated early to get that discount every player is willing to take (sarcasm).

Either way, I don't think they wanted Briere back and his playoff performance solidified his leaving. I think the Sabres are trying to be nice and not come out and say they didn't want Briere back at his age for that kind of money.

Either way I don't care anymore, Briere is gone and I for one was not a fan of his. Now that he is on the Flyers I can actually wish harm upon him.

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

Which side has reason to not tell the whole truth? That's easy.
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

i see a house of cards being built...

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                        Roways rooking ahread!
                        • Sep 2005

Sure the agent doesn't want to represent himself well to get future clients, give me a break. To even say that Danny B. would of taken less is a classless statement and complete heresay. Until a contract is written, agreed upon and signed you have nothing, literally nothing.

The Sabres could of easily said they wanted to offer more to Danny but his agent didn't want to cooperate. I believe nothing agents say, See Drew Rosenhaus.

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dude
                          I believe the agent.
                          me too.

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
                            Closet Bills Fan
                            • Nov 2004

normally i never believe the agents, but in this case, even briere himself stated if the sabres wanted long term, he'd accept a cut..... and drury, well....... i think we know that one by now......

j-e-t-s
                            jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by CuseJetsFan83
                              normally i never believe the agents, but in this case, even briere himself stated if the sabres wanted long term, he'd accept a cut..... and drury, well....... i think we know that one by now......
                              Basically, the Sabres front office ****ED UP BIGTIME!

This is the kind of ****up that would cause someone to lose their job. I would love to see Larry Quinn get canned, but I believe that if anyone is let go...it's Darcy Regier.

Comment

Working...
                              X