PDA

View Full Version : Bills' Veteran Corners Give Ashton Youboty Time to Learn

YardRat
07-08-2007, 09:55 AM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/story/2007/7/7/132410/7441

Youboty's rookie season in Buffalo is well-documented. The tragic and unfortunate passing of his mother during training camp put a serious damper on his learning curve, and as a result he spent much of his rookie season on the inactive list. His one major appearance - as a nickel and dime back in a road victory over the Jets - showed Youboty's promise in Perry Fewell's Cover-2 scheme. Getting the start in place of the injured Terrence McGee, Youboty generally lined up on the outside (across from Jerricho Cotchery) in nickel and dime situations, allowing Thomas to play his normal slot role. The Bills' secondary performed admirably that day, and Youboty was a surprisingly big part of it.

Still, making three appearances in NFL games (while dressing for four) hardly constitutes a rookie season. Youboty now has a full slate of training camp practices and pre-season games ahead of him, which will properly prepare him for his first full season.

Despite appearing ready to make more of an impact this season, it's likely that Youboty will be looking up on the depth chart at the beginning of the season. McGee is slated to start at left corner, with Thomas and the newly acquired Jason Webster looking like the main competitors for the right side job. I fully expect the loser of that battle to be the nickel back, which will relegate Youboty to dime work and the kick coverage units on special teams. I'll repeat what I said above: this is ideal for Youboty's development.

The trio of McGee, Thomas and Webster have a combined 21 years of experience in the NFL, so while these three are by no means elite, they can at least be considered steady, consistent NFL veterans. It is clear to most Bills fans, however, that once Youboty is ready to assume a bigger role, the coaching staff will not hesitate to give it to him. Youboty's size (5'11", 190) and Ohio State tackling pedigree make him a very good fit as a defensive back in this scheme. This is a player who, once considered a first-round talent last season, slipped to the third round due to his being a very unproven and raw prospect. But the talent is there; once he has time to harness it, he could be an above-average player for this team. And if Youboty is as intelligent as the coaching staff believes he is, that jump could happen as soon as this season. Having McGee, Thomas and Webster to keep pressure off of the young corner will accelerate his growth process.

HHURRICANE
07-08-2007, 11:04 AM
"I'll repeat what I said above: this is ideal for Youboty's development."

Maybe the dumbest quote of the century. With the way free agency goes these days the sooner you can figure out if a 3rd rounder can play or not the better. The days of letting guys develop on your roster are over.

You are lucky to get 4 years out of a rookie because they are usually threatening not to play or be traded in the 5th year if they are worth anything.

Sorry, but Yobouty not starting this year would be a major disappointment.

mikemac2001
07-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Sorry, but Yobouty not starting this year would be a major disappointment.

i want best guy out there...idc if its a 3rd rd pick a UDFA or some old guy we signed of FA

HHURRICANE
07-08-2007, 12:23 PM
i want best guy out there...idc if its a 3rd rd pick a UDFA or some old guy we signed of FA

I agree, it just means that Yobouty shouldn't have been drafted.

Goobylal
07-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Not necessarily. No one predicted his mother would die. And hindsight is always 20/20.

mikemac2001
07-08-2007, 12:32 PM
I agree, it just means that Yobouty shouldn't have been drafted.

so maybe he wont start week 1 but who says week 4 or so on he wont take the role...its smart to pencil in webster there and his depth is good to have also

YardRat
07-08-2007, 12:53 PM
I'd be truly stunned if Youboty started ahead of both Thomas and Webster. I'm OK giving him another year.

HHURRICANE
07-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Not necessarily. No one predicted his mother would die. And hindsight is always 20/20.

Uhhh, plenty of people lose their parents and have to continue on. The fact that the kid was so immature that the entire season was lost on account of it doesn't say much.

Before you chastise me for this I lost my dad when I was a sophmore in HS during finals. I had to still take them and only made up one over the summer because it was the day of the funeral.

How many times does an NFL player lose a parent, have a baby, etc. and still show up on Sunday?

BuffaloBillsStampede
07-08-2007, 05:01 PM
wow that is a pretty dick post right there. Everyone handles things differently.

mikemac2001
07-08-2007, 05:41 PM
wow that is a pretty dick post right there. Everyone handles things differently.

i felt same way....you dont know the dude...maybe it was his only family member left u dont know. i do understand where your coming from about how guys play after death...but for a rookie who is trying to learn the system and get physically ready its not like just playing the game.

Goobylal
07-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Uhhh, plenty of people lose their parents and have to continue on. The fact that the kid was so immature that the entire season was lost on account of it doesn't say much.

Before you chastise me for this I lost my dad when I was a sophmore in HS during finals. I had to still take them and only made up one over the summer because it was the day of the funeral.

How many times does an NFL player lose a parent, have a baby, etc. and still show up on Sunday?
Sorry to hear you lost your dad when you were young, but I assume your mother was still alive. When Youboty's mother died, he had no parents. And he had to care for his 3 siblings and family things.

Furthermore, because of OSU's exam schedule, he missed all but one of the OTA's, and because of his mother's death, he missed most of training camp. Cut the kid some slack.

Confused
07-08-2007, 11:01 PM
he was what 22 or 23 at he time? wait no, he was drafted as a junior so he was 21 or 22 when his mom died. still just a kid, not that I dont feel you stampede but that prolly f-ed 'ol ashton up pretty good. you had to take one test, he had to build a carreer. He was a highly touted corner in college. Ohio State or as I call 'em "DB STATE"!!!!!! By week five he'll be our nickel cb if not out no.2. Next year, Ashton covers Moss, Chambers, Coles and the likes. I'm confident in him.

justasportsfan
07-09-2007, 09:11 AM

:huh:

dannyek71
07-10-2007, 05:28 AM

Thats fantastic you were able to overcome the passing of your father and pull through for finals. However, everyone responds to the passing of parents differently, and I dont blame Ashton for taking the time he needed.

If his dog ran away, then yes I would say he was overreacting, however, it was his mother. Give him a break.

CJW
07-10-2007, 05:51 AM
This kid will be great, I guarentee it!

mybills
07-10-2007, 07:26 AM
I dropped down to a size 1 pants when my dad died. Gee, I wonder if he lost weight, too. :scratch: If he did, he would've gotten killed on the field.

CJW
07-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Everyone acts like he didn't play last year.... he was at a ton of the practices and even got into a couple of games, he'll be fine.

Wys Guy
07-10-2007, 12:28 PM

Either way, time to throw him in there to see what he can do.

The time for mollycoddling to stop. Otherwise let's just get him a team nanny. His time for grieving is over as with millions of other Americans who had deaths in the family last year.

He was a 70th overall high 3rd rounder that slipped according to many. He should have been capable of starting last season. If he cannot start by week five or six then this as well needs to be chalked up as another Levy failure.

We absolutely must begin getting more than nominal performance or injury busts from our day one picks. Everybody's treating Youboty with kid gloves.

Time to get on the field and start Ashton! No ifs, ands, or buts.

If Whitner doesn't "become all that," McCargo can't make it through one season again completely due to a predictable boo-boo w/ his foot, if Youboty isn't starting by midseason, and if either Lynch or Puz don't prove that they were 1st round material then it's time for Levy to hit the bricks!

We can wait, but that's the standard for Levy this season! His guys need to begin to start producing or we need to find someone that can find some that can. Langston Walker will continue to bust. Tripplett, our most expensive DT ever (playing like it?), and somebody of what, 15 guys signed, besides Dockery needs to start playing like something other than a mediocre or worse player. And more than just one or two guys.

I can't believe that so many sit still for this.

Earthquake Enyart
07-10-2007, 12:43 PM
I've always wanted to be mollycoddled. :ill:

John Doe
07-10-2007, 12:57 PM
I can't believe that so many sit still for this.

Sit still for what?

Failures that have not happened yet?

Earthquake Enyart
07-10-2007, 12:59 PM
You can't expect a guy named "Ashton" to be very tough.

Goobylal
07-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Either way, time to throw him in there to see what he can do.
I never said otherwise. I was just trying to explain what happened to him last year.