PDA

View Full Version : Sabres Have "Recruiting" Problem.

patmoran2006
07-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Found this quote interesting (and sad) from Gleason's column today. I did not know this either.'

"The Sabres now have a recruiting problem. In April, the Hockey News released a poll of 288 players that showed Buffalo was the last place a player wished to be traded. And that’s when the Sabres were cruising toward the Presidents’ Trophy. It’s not a good sign for Buffalo the team, not a good sign for Buffalo the town. "

RockStar36
07-08-2007, 10:24 AM
I don't understand that.

I remember when Zubrus got traded at the deadline and all I could think was how happy he probably was. He just got traded to the best team.

OpIv37
07-08-2007, 10:43 AM
well of course Zubrus would be happy- he got traded to a serious Cup contender, but he was also a FA. He puts up with it for half a season in exchange for a realistic chance to get his name on the cup, then he can go anywhere he wants. Who would complain about that? He had the option of never even dealing with the Sabres' FO if he didn't want to stay.

But for a player who's in the middle of a 7 year deal and gets traded somewhere he doesn't want to be (like Buffalo), it's a different story entirely.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Well I think we all can understand now why the players voted the way they did.

RockStar36
07-08-2007, 11:30 AM
I don't get it. They've been in the conference finals the past two years. I would think players would love to come here. Maybe it's the logo?

SabreEleven
07-08-2007, 11:36 AM
or maybe its the FO and the way they treat their players.

shelby
07-08-2007, 11:38 AM
My thoughts exactly.

Philagape
07-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Makes perfect sense to me.

Nighthawk
07-08-2007, 01:03 PM

It has EVERYTHING to do with the FO. Everybody in the league knows that Quinn & Darcy are both a-holes who think their s**t don't stink. That is a big turnoff when entering into negotiations. They either change their ways or suffer the consequences...it's that simple, and it has begun.

THATHURMANATOR
07-08-2007, 01:12 PM
This was talked about months ago. It is because when players on away teams come here they sit in the **** hole adams mark and dont have time to take a look around. Multiple current and former Sabres confirmed this in interviews. It doesn't have anything to do with the FO. At least at the time of the survey.

Michael82
07-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Exactly! :hi5:

Bill Brasky
07-08-2007, 03:37 PM
i think it might have something to with the fact that buffalo and wny as a whole doesn't have the first clue as to how to market itself...

Nighthawk
07-08-2007, 08:46 PM
i think it might have something to with the fact that buffalo and wny as a whole doesn't have the first clue as to how to market itself...

Yeah, I agree. It's time to stop trying to sell ourselves like the big cities and sell Buffalo for what it really is. A great place to raise a family, great culture, great food and great people. It's time to stop trying to keep up with the Jones' and enjoy what we have and use it to it's full potential.

Johnny Bugmenot
07-08-2007, 09:04 PM
I don't get it. They've been in the conference finals the past two years. I would think players would love to come here. Maybe it's the logo?

1950 Buffalo population: >580,000
2005 Buffalo population: <280,000

It has nothing to do with the Sabres. You could have a Cup champion here and still they wouldn't want to be here. People in general hate this area.

Crisis
07-08-2007, 09:08 PM
That list came out soooo long ago. In the middle of our winning streaks.

Don't even pin it on the recent stuff.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-08-2007, 10:04 PM
That list came out soooo long ago. In the middle of our winning streaks.

Don't even pin it on the recent stuff.

Actually you can't deny that these problems and this FO's reputation with players and their dealing with JP Dumont, Jay McKee, and Mike Grier.

Crisis
07-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Actually you can't deny that these problems and this FO's reputation with players and their dealing with JP Dumont, Jay McKee, and Mike Grier.
No, it has more to due with the fact that to outside of people from the area, most people view Buffalo as a dump.

The fact that this poll was taken during the season when we were the best team in the league shows that.

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-09-2007, 08:23 AM
No, it has more to due with the fact that to outside of people from the area, most people view Buffalo as a dump.

The fact that this poll was taken during the season when we were the best team in the league shows that.

I think that is only part of it, I totally think that this FO has a bad rep. with the players. Mike Grier made it clear last season. Jay McKee made it clear last season. Daniel Briere made it clear last season.

patmoran2006
07-09-2007, 09:30 AM
If the poll was taken during a WINNING STREAK, then it SHOULD make players want to come here even more.

This FO treats its players like ****, and thats the way it is.

Fans treat these guys like GOD's in this city, there is blue and gold everywhere, and yet nobody wants to come play here. What does that tell you about the top of the organization?

TheGhostofJimKelly
07-09-2007, 09:35 AM
If the poll was taken during a WINNING STREAK, then it SHOULD make players want to come here even more.

This FO treats its players like ****, and thats the way it is.

Fans treat these guys like GOD's in this city, there is blue and gold everywhere, and yet nobody wants to come play here. What does that tell you about the top of the organization?

Exactly.